• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

The "anything" thread

Quick question.. has your local law enforcement been militarized and used against protesters like here in the States? Here's a good article to read if you see your country going in that direction; hopefully it will keep the fire burning - [URL="http://www.aljazeera.com/indepth/opinion/2012/03/201231995523614214.html"][URL="http://www.aljazeera.com/indepth/opinion/2012/03/201231995523614214.html"][url]http://www.aljazeera.com/indepth/opinion/2012/03/201231995523614214.html[/URL][/URL]

btw, the picture you previously posted of the media focusing on the wrong thing is spot on.[/URL]

Upvote 0
Quick question.. has your local law enforcement been militarized and used against protesters like here in the States? Here's a good article to read if you see your country going in that direction; hopefully it will keep the fire burning - [URL="http://www.aljazeera.com/indepth/opinion/2012/03/201231995523614214.html"][URL="http://www.aljazeera.com/indepth/opinion/2012/03/201231995523614214.html"][url]http://www.aljazeera.com/indepth/opinion/2012/03/201231995523614214.html[/URL][/URL]

btw, the picture you previously posted of the media focusing on the wrong thing is spot on.[/URL]

Yeah, police officers are trained to respond to riots and other stuff with flashbangs, tear gas, rubber bullets [...] I can't find the quote, but the director of the Montreal Police Department once said something like: "The MPD doesn't need someone to talk with the crowd, we need a general to guide our officers. We are a para-military organisation afterall."

Upvote 0
Yikes, that's a shame. As the weather gets warmer I expect we'll see some serious clashes worldwide. People are starting to wake up and see what's really happening to our societies. We're all hoping and fighting for a global standard of living/participation and basic human rights for everyone against the backdrop of violent authoritarian greed. I'm afraid it will get worse before it gets better.. after all, might does not make right.

Upvote 0
That's how police respond to riots, not demonstrations and protesting. If you step onto ground you did not get a permit or permission for, or start committing acts of violence against the police, expect to get a rubber bullet to the stomach and tear gas in the face. Police respond to violence with violence, and per the use of force continuum, move up on the use of force depending on the offense or violation of the party.

Upvote 0
That's how police respond to riots, not demonstrations and protesting. If you step onto ground you did not get a permit or permission for, or start committing acts of violence against the police, expect to get a rubber bullet to the stomach and tear gas in the face. Police respond to violence with violence, and per the use of force continuum, move up on the use of force depending on the offense or violation of the party.

Lol Ostmann, it's been a long time since we really had a riot and IIRC, the last time that we had a riot was when our hockey team got through the first wave of the playoffs :rolleyes:. Instead of focusing on arresting the looters or the people who are flipping cars, the police around here prefers to fire flashbangs in the crowd... at shoulder level. One guy almost lost his vision from the right eye a week ago because he received one of those flashbangs in the eye waaaaaaaay before anyone got hostile. The Director of Montreal's Police Dep. then proceeds to tell the medias that it's the guy's fault because he was wearing glasses. :confused:

Spoiler!

EDIIIIIIT: Today's protest ended up well! The police estimated that 200,000 students were in the streets but no one was arrested. Let's see if the governement steps back :X

Last edited:
Upvote 0
That's what they said about the Oakland protestors, too. They said it was completely peaceful and the ex-Marine that got hit did not provoke the police. Well, turns out a few people started throwing bottles and rocks at the police. He was hanging with the wrong crowd. Things aren't always what they seem...

Yeah, things aren't always what they seem... Were you in that crowd? I know I was but I'd be glad to know how you felt when one of the flashbang exploded over your head (or directly in your eye :rolleyes:). Oh wait, you live in the US :I

But anyway, things were a lot smoother today and hopefully the next one too!

Upvote 0
Yeah, things aren't always what they seem... Were you in that crowd? I know I was but I'd be glad to know how you felt when one of the flashbang exploded over your head (or directly in your eye :rolleyes:). Oh wait, you live in the US :I

But anyway, things were a lot smoother today and hopefully the next one too!
I never said that didn't happen, I'm just pointing out that the way the populous portray those events aren't always true. I've been to three Occupy protests now: Portland, District of Columbia, and New York. I've been there, I've seen them, and I've experienced them.

Upvote 0
I'd have to side with Alexander here mostly. While I'm sure some of the stuff Oliver says does happen (and that is wrong), if the protesters/rioters start vandalizing and throwing rocks/bottles/etc at the police, wtf do they think is going to happen in return? If, IF the protesters do start something and the police respond in kind then they probably deserve it.

Hopefully things stay smoother up there Oliver.

Upvote 0
It won't be the first time police started firing at protesters without any sign of unrest (even if to just prevent anything serious from happening) and then of course some protesters responding while the majority runs away from the gas.

*cough*Oh and, it won't be the first time either that those protesters who start the vandalising of cars and shops or throwing rocks at the police are told to do so before hand just to provoke the police into action*cough*

None of this is new to be honest... There are many ways to break up a protest or lure the protesters into violence, which is sad.

Upvote 0
Ostmann said:
Well, turns out a few people started throwing bottles and rocks at the police.

You said it. A few people. If there are property damaging, cop attacking anarchists in the crowd, then you go arrest them when they break the law. You don't just start firing on an otherwise peaceful crowd. Why is everything so black and white? Oh some bottles came flying at us while we stand here in full body armor/face mask/riot shield/armed to the teeth, let's attack the entire crowd! It's much easier than actual police work isn't it? They have plain clothes police within the crowd, why arent they doing their job and arresting the few assholes? It's because they arent interested in supporting the peaceful people voicing their dissent, a very 'American' thing to do need I remind you, rather, they are trying to dissuade people from gathering at all. Riots are leagues apart from a protest, even with a few violent apples, so what's with the tear gas/flashbangs/rubber bullets/baton bashing/point-blank pepper spraying/etc etc? I mean, you've got people pushing little old ladies in wheelchairs through the fray, dodging hot airborn teargas canisters and rubber bullets ffs.

Do you deny the militarization of our police post 9/11? Do you deny that laws are used to dissuade protesting?

Believe me, I don't like the violent law breaking protesters either.. those anarchist kids really know how to do damage to a movement (I bet some of those dudes are undercover instigators).. but you can't just start attacking people who havent done anything other than express their rights. Rights your brother fights for.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
You said it. A few people. If there are property damaging, cop attacking anarchists in the crowd, then you go arrest them when they break the law. You don't just start firing on an otherwise peaceful crowd. Why is everything so black and white? Oh some bottles came flying at us while we stand here in full body armor/face mask/riot shield/armed to the teeth, let's attack the entire crowd! It's much easier than actual police work isn't it? They have plain clothes police within the crowd, why arent they doing their job and arresting the few assholes? It's because they arent interested in supporting the peaceful people voicing their dissent, a very 'American' thing to do need I remind you, rather, they are trying to dissuade people from gathering at all. Riots are leagues apart from a protest, even with a few violent apples, so what's with the tear gas/flashbangs/rubber bullets/baton bashing/point-blank pepper spraying/etc etc? I mean, you've got people pushing little old ladies in wheelchairs through the fray, dodging hot airborn teargas canisters and rubber bullets ffs.
So how are the police going to arrest a dude that just threw a bottle from the middle of the crowd? Please explain how they can identify him on the spot and detain him.

People choose to mingle with those violent protestors in their peaceful protesting, so they fully deserve the rubber bullets and tear gas. If they don't want to be associated with them, ask those wrong-doers to leave. If they won't leave, then the peaceful protestors will have to leave to avoid being associated with those idiots. Look at the kids that got pepper-sprayed; the whole line got what was coming, but the kids around them filming didn't get any pepper-spray. If police see bottles and rocks flying from a giant crowd and they aren't able to get to the perpetrators or find out who is doing it, then they have no choice but to take care of the whole group.

Protesting isn't "American". The entire world does that. Electing senators and representatives that share your views and opinions is "American". What country are you from?

Whoever is bringing an old lady in a wheelchair to a protest like the recent ones being had are downright idiots.

Do you deny the militarization of our police post 9/11?
No. I'm for it.

Do you deny that laws are used to dissuade protesting?
Yes, because there is a thing called the mob mentality, and more often than not, peaceful protests turn violent. If they want to see things change, boycott stuff and elect people. Oh wait, how can they ever boycott their precious gods like Apple and Nike?

Believe me, I don't like the violent law breaking protesters either.. those anarchist kids really know how to do damage to a movement (I bet some of those dudes are undercover instigators).. but you can't just start attacking people who havent done anything other than express their rights. Rights your brother fights for.
I met a lot of undercover protestors in New York, and they were all peaceful. That's not to say they don't do it, but I think that's a pretty farfetched idea.

If a bank robber kills someone in a robbery and him and his driver get caught, they both are charged for murder. Those peaceful protestors that protest alongside violent protestors get what they deserve.

Upvote 0
Well the problem is the police are largely outnumbered by the crowd. Suppose the chief decides to send a few guys into the middle of the fray to arrest a couple of those lawbreakers. There are a couple of unheathly and unintended scenario's that are much worse than a couple of "innocent" bystanders getting injured that I can think of.

The crowd could easily turn on the outnumbered officers who go in to arrest the lawbreakers (lets forget for a moment about the unlawful assembly of the whole lot). It can be assumed that the crowd is not likely to applaud the police officers and assist them in their effort to arrest the unruly subjects. Because surely otherwise the crowd would have policed itself, and subdued the troublemakers on their own and turned them over.

Suppose the crowd (or just a handful) turns on the police. The police are then forced to protect themselves. The result ends up being that more are injured or even killed than those pictured "innocent" bystanders that were hit by non-lethal deterants in an effort to disperse the crowd.

Crowd mentality is a tricky psychology. The key legal term to remember is 'lawful assembly'. Large, unmanaged crowds on public property are seldom 'lawful'.

In general, crowd control is handled so much better today than it was in the60's-70's. Back then it was tear gas and real bullets. Kent State anyone?

Kent State Tragedy Video.wmv - YouTube

"Murder In 13 Secounds: The Kent State Story Part 1" - YouTube
Where were you when JFK was shot? What a day.......

edit*** I see Alexandar has brought up some of the same points I was making while I was composing my post...

Last edited:
Upvote 0
If a bank robber kills someone in a robbery and him and his driver get caught, they both are charged for murder. Those peaceful protestors that protest alongside violent protestors get what they deserve.

Does the arms dealer also get charged with murder? Or the car dealer? They also played a part in the murder?

Of course they don't, they never knew of this mans intention and we're just doing what they believed was right. Why should it be any different for protestors? How the f**k did they know the person next to me was going to throw rocks or bottles or anything else for that matter? This form of collective punishment is absolute bulls*it and only get innocents punished for crimes they did not commit!

Also, what the hell gives someone permission to use bloody grenades and bullets in order to stop someone throwing bottles and rocks! I mean, if I shot someone for throwing a rock at me, I'd be charged for murder! Even with these aforementioned "Less lethal" rubbers, which can, and does kill people, I'd be charged for manslaughter! Why is it justified when the police do it? Especially since they have all this amour and protection to shrug it off without a scratch. Especially with the collective punishment Ost just said, it means innocents are going to lose their sight, hearing and even their life for something that they didn't do!

Upvote 0
What you have to understand is that a strong, semi-militarised police force would not have prevented all that bullying you suffered at school... the bullies would have been the first ones to get signed up for the ranks of it.

I am speaking as someone here, whose town was recently wrecked by rioting - including plenty of stores and businesses going up in flames. What did I make of the rioters? Scum mostly, not an ounce of motivation other than boredom, greed and nihilism.

Water cannon against them, yes please.

Water cannon against the people involved in the 'illegal gathering' on Vaclavske Namesti during the velvet revolution? No

But who decides when the water cannon get used? if you blindly support the use of force on civilian protesters by the police or army then you support Bashir Assad, you support Robert Mugabe, you support Vladimir Putin, Manuel Noriega, Shahreza Pahlavi, Ayatollah Khomeini... in short, you support every tinpot dictator and whackjob that ever oppressed his people, when the people have no other means of expression.

Incidentally, you guys really ought to learn the distinction between an anarchist and a nihilist... I am pretty fed up with hearing that a shop was wrecked by 'anarchists', when what is meant is by nihilists or hooligans.

An anarchist has a strong moral and ethical code - he or she has to have, because they wish to live in a society that regulates itself because that is how it wants to live, not through fear of the strong arm of the law. Some of the most moralistic and ethical people I have ever met are committed anarchists.

Last edited:
Reactions: doomis
Upvote 0
If they caught the arms dealer, I'm sure they would be charged with murder. Whether they'd be convicted is another story, but in my morality, I believe firmly someone like Eric Holder should be charged with the murder of that border patrol agent.

You are hanging out with a group of friends and a dude pulls out a pipe and starts smoking crack. The pipe gets passed around and only one other person accepts. If the police show up and see what's going on, do you think they will detain just the two people who did it, or everyone? The police officer is going to laugh at you when you say "How was I supposed to know this guy was going to start smoking crack right next to me?" They will probably let you go later after you've been processed, but that's what happens when you associate with idiots.

I'm not sure if anyone even gave a thought to reading what Floyd said, but he is totally right on the subject. When police are outnumbered, they have the right to defend themselves in a more radical way than the way they are being attacked. It's the nature of the use of force continuum.

So you're saying if a police officer gets hit with a projectile, it's alright as long as he has adequate protection against it and there should be no repercussions? That's screwed up logic.

If a protestor was protesting alongside a violent protestor and gets hurt, that's too damn bad. He should not have been next to that guy or protesting with that group of people.

Nestor: I followed the London Riots quite closely, and luckily I wasn't there. But from what I read, those seem quite different than the Occupy movement. I'd compare those more to the Vancouver Riots simply because they actually were mass riots filled with idiots trying to take advantage of a situation. These protests are just a bunch of misguided people with a few violent "no goods" in the mix. Unfortunately, until police are able to develop a method to deal with just those people, everyone that is associating with them will have to deal with collateral damage.

I'm not getting into the anarchist/nihilist debate since no one was even talking about that in the first place.

Edit: And I believe you are right about the bullies in principle, but ironically, anyone that ever bullied me hate the police. They are all marijuana addicts who laughably hate authority.

**** happens, deal with it?
That's what the protestors should be told. They were hanging with the wrong crowd.

Guys, the world isn't so black and white. If the police are heavily outnumbered and that mass of people is trespassing on property without permission and/or throwing projectiles at the police, they will be dealt with. Because of the fact they are outnumbered, the police lawfully and I believe morally have the right to use whatever means necessary to get control. American police aren't as brutal compared to the police of other nations who actually use live rounds.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I'm not sure if anyone even gave a thought to reading what Floyd said, but he is totally right on the subject. When police are outnumbered, they have the right to defend themselves in a more radical way than the way they are being attacked. It's the nature of the use of force continuum.

Because there's a fine line between what accounts as obvious defence or reaction to an event, act or something and what's simply abusing your power just because everything in sight can be potentially hostile and situational convenience allows you to get away with it?

That's what the protestors should be told. They were hanging with the wrong crowd.

Guys, the world isn't so black and white. If the police are heavily outnumbered and that mass of people is trespassing on property without permission and/or throwing projectiles at the police, they will be dealt with. Because of the fact they are outnumbered, the police lawfully and I believe morally have the right to use whatever means necessary to get control. American police aren't as brutal compared to the police of other nations who actually use live rounds.

Wasn't that entire point of "deal with it" ? It's like signing up for the military and then complaining that you might get killed in combat if you're at the frontline. Oh dear, never saw that one coming. Same with law enforcement, fire fighters etc. They ought to be aware of the risks their jobs might once in a while present them. Oh and I believe the US Army had it coming when someone was involved in the Wikileaks fiasco. Let's face it: It's their own fault for picking up such lousy people in their ranks.

Everything can and will be potentially misused by someone, and also there's always someone who doesn't give a **** about it. You have few media sexy marijuana smoking crack [insert some slur here] that makes epic news stories and fuels the fires for every reasonable person. Or a lot of them. Killing and burying education would be a good start for a way to minimalise any kind of misuse for a while at least.

Upvote 0