• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

The "anything" thread

Compared ot the US, Canadian citizens are paying way more taxes, but Quebec has the highest tax rates (think it's around 43%). So right from the start, you would expect to have some free services in return, especially when you are giving away half of your incomes every year. As of right now, the governement is spending most of the money on health care, education and roads. Quite surprisingly our health care is getting worser every year, getting your diploma costs more money and hopefully this should demonstrate how good our roads are.

Spoiler!

So yeah, despite being the province that gives the highest amount of taxes, most of the stuff we get back is crap. But what affects the students in particular is the flawed financial help from the gov. Basically, if you are in the middle class (50k+), you don't get any financial help. You can always ask for a student loan, but that's pretty much a deathtrap since it takes 25-35 years to repay it.

The society made the choice to have an accessible education system and right now the government is taking it away. There are so many other options to look at when it comes to money but hey, I guess it's okay when the directors of some universities are retiring after only 1-2 years (200k per year) with a 500,00$+ bonus. :rolleyes:

My generation is doomed to pay for the golden days of the baby-boomers.

Wow. :eek: Interesting.
TAKE NOTE, AMERICA!!!!!. Pretty soon you run out of other people's money!

We're traveling down that very same path.

Elections will be here before you know it! Kick all of the incumbents out. Everyone of them. Democrat, Republican, other......Time to wipe the slate clean and elect people willing to serve for the good of the country and not just trying to get re-elected next term....

<rant over>;)

Upvote 0
TAKE NOTE, AMERICA!!!!!. Pretty soon you run out of other people's money!

Just so I'm clear on your train of thought.. is this a statement against taxes in general? An argument in favor of tax reform? An argument against social services? An argument for wiser spending of taxes?

'Pretty soon you run out of other people's money' .. what exactly does this mean?

I know I'm opening myself up for a longer discussion, but I'm not really looking for one, I'm just curious about that statement, where it comes from and what it hopes to accomplish.

Spoiler!

Upvote 0
I'm not pointing fingers at Republicans or Democrats or Libertarians. The only reason people do that is to deflect the blame.....Not the point of my rant...Go there if you want, but I'll not go respond...

In an effort not to travel down the road of a pointed political discussion.....Let me just say a few general things...

I can't operate my business with deficit spending. I don't think govt should. (And I don't mean balancing the books with the funny math that seems to be so prevelant in Washington. I'm talking real dollars in => dollars out.)

Taking money from designated trust accounts (ala Social Security) and putting it in the General Fund doesn't fly with me either. Especially not with the Golden Parachute Congressmen have. They (congressmen) were set up for life the day they took office. Its not their money at risk.

And while we're talking Social Security, a prime example that combines the issues of spending other people's money and working to stay re-elected is the INSANE reduction in FICA taxes that workers pay now. Under the guise of 'stimulating the economy' and helping the working man, both parties jumped on this bandwagon. Social Security is broke and everyone knows it. So, lets reduce the money going in and give the worker a paltry bit of money?

The US non-self-employed worker now pays 4.2% FICA on wages up to $106,800. (Self-employed pays 10.4%) That's a 2% reduction. Lets assume you make the full $108,600. You'll get to take home an additional $41 dollars a week! WOW! Not so affluent? Lets say you make 1/2 that. You get an additional $20 a week or $80/mo. Gonna get rich now!!! Yet the debt load added to the (non-existant) social security "fund" is astronomical! It makes absolutely NO sense to me. Buys a few votes, though. I just wonder how they plan to keep the welfare and social security checks flowing from an empty coffer.....

(And I love how SS/welfare is called an entitlement program. :rolleyes:)

Heres a pic of the budget breakdown:
PolicyBasic_WhereOurTaxDollarsGo-f1_rev4-15-11.jpg

Here is a quote with another example of "other people's money"....

In fiscal year 2010, the federal government spent $3.5 trillion, amounting to 24 percent of the nation

Upvote 0