• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

The "anything" thread

Incidentally, on the subject of colonising other planets, it is definitely almpst possible even now - all you need is to set up a platform in low orbit and have some heavy lifters out in the asteroid belt, chucking back suitable lumps of rock to make an O'Neill cylinder to house, say, 50,000 people.

Build a light sail or attach a Daedalus engine to get it up to the speed where you could allow a Bussard ramjet to kick in. It would still take several lifetimes for the thing to reach a nearby candidate habitable system, maybe somewhere like Gliese 581 (one of its planets appears to be about 1.9 earth masses).

During the course of the journey gradually spin up the O'Neill cylinder to 2g so that the people become acclimated.

All it would take is about 50 years and several quadrillion dollars to get the thing going and several generations for the journey. Piece of p*ss, really. :D

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Last edited:
Upvote 0
Upvote 0
imo, HL2 wasn't groundbreaking, it's an FPS like any other, but a very good one. I liked the episodes.

It was groundbreaking, as it was the first one to use good physics and physics based puzzles. Everybody started with the physics hype after HL2 came out and few have managed to take advantage of physics so well after that.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
It was groundbreaking, as it was the first one to use good physics and physics based puzzles. Everybody started with the physics hype after HL2 came out and few have managed to take advantage of physics so well after that.

True, it had (has) the best physics which was something new for that time but for the most part it was still a standard shooter, a good one but nothing too groundbreaking. That's my oppinion ofcourse, I didn't feel that overwhelmed when playing it.

Upvote 0
If I was 80years old and telling my grandchildren about videogames in my days of gaming, HL1+HL2 would be pretty much the first ones to talk about. HL1 and HL2 definitely had a huge impact on my gaming culture(besides other great titles I grew up with like Nolf 1, UT99, C&C RA2, CS). It may sound weird but alone if I hear the valve theme/half-life soundtrack I have to shiver(in a positive way) because I simply have so many positive associations and it's simply epic.

Upvote 0
Yeah the physics puzzles of HL2 were pretty novel (although not exactly mindblowing), the grav gun is iconic and the game itself was very enjoyable - but HL2 cannot hold a candle to HL imo - in terms of both innovation to the genre and the game quality itself.
From the second you started HL you could see it was something very special, and from then it continued to captivate and innovate - thou phaps the commonly held opinion that it fades a bit once you reach xen prevents it being the perfect game.

The thing that let HL2 down a bit for me was that while the 1st game's narrative was brilliantly enigmatic, hinting at a fantastic backstory , the sequel failed to bind anything together - giving the impression that the reason valve were leaving questions unanswered was actually cos they had no idea themselves.

It will be interesting to see if HL3 will continue to pose more questions or actually start tying things up.

Upvote 0