• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

[Image] The Picture and GIF thread

Fedorov

Just like me. ><

Upvote 0
I believe the time of flight encompasses the elastic band data.

Yep.

HOWEVER we're missing a couple of elements, though. The aerodynamics of the bird are not accounted for anywhere, neither is gravity. Atmospheric conditions, too. You could have an extremely high arc that takes 2.5s to complete at a very high speed, if you have a low drag coefficient (or low atmospheric density) and a high G. Alternatively, you could have a very flat trajectory that takes 2.5s to complete if you have a high atmospheric density and good glide characteristics, or low G and little to no atmosphere.

Hm. This is, however, making me want to pull out my textbooks on ballistics and see what I can come up with ...

Last edited:
Upvote 0
It's just an idealized problem for a Physics I course. Airdrag, density, changing gravity with height, curvature of the Earth and all those other variables you can think of isn't necessary for a problem where the distance traveled is only 55m. The error only becomes apparent at much greater distances, heights and velocities.

You can spend all day accounting for the different variables, and it'll probably give you an answer within 1-2% of the one you get with the kinematics formula.
It's never 100% correct anyway, most things end up being approximations.

Upvote 0