• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

[Image] The Picture and GIF thread

tumblr_lz3h08qLEj1qfj6l6o1_500.jpg

Reactions: PermenentMarker
Upvote 0
@The hippie pic, FYI freedom of speech means that you can question and/or criticise the government without getting your head cut off, it doesn't dictate that intentionally offending others or delivering hate speech against groups/minorities is acceptable.

No, actually, true freedom of speech makes no value judgements on any kind of speech. Once you start placing restrictions on what opinions and beliefs people are allowed to express, you've taken the first step down a very slippery slope, that ends eventually with me being able to legislate what your opinion must be, and criminalizing everything else.

Take Westboro, for instance. They're a pack of assholes, but they've just just as much right to make their statements as I have to call them a pack of assholes.

Reactions: bier
Upvote 0
No, actually, true freedom of speech makes no value judgements on any kind of speech. Once you start placing restrictions on what opinions and beliefs people are allowed to express, you've taken the first step down a very slippery slope, that ends eventually with me being able to legislate what your opinion must be, and criminalizing everything else.

Take Westboro, for instance. They're a pack of assholes, but they've just just as much right to make their statements as I have to call them a pack of assholes.

That is not quite true though, since there is no such thing as complete freedom of speech. Anti-defamation, libel and slander laws for example infringes on freedom of speech, copyright and patent legislations and other similar laws do likewise. And of course then there is the famed "crying fire in a crowded theatre"-test (I guess it could be updated to "crying bomb in a crowded airport" now) which is at the core of the debate about the limits of freedom of speech.

There are simply no country where absolute freedom of speech exists.

Upvote 0
Tis actually somewhat funny, we were just discussing this in an ethics class.

( Proff even bought up the fire in a theater example )

I have to say the argument brought up by ( I think it was John Stuart Mill ) on the subject was quite good.

The coles notes version being...
1: The minority might be right
2: The minority might be partially right
3: They might be completely wrong, but letting them speak only proves to everyone else how stupid they are. ( Otherwise silencing them can breed dissent )
4: It is good to be challenged in your beliefs, otherwise you might just loose them.

Let's be honest, has westboro gained any browny points by their actions? F*** no, they have only proved themselves to be a bunch of bigoted assholes.

Reactions: LightsabeR
Upvote 0