• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

MG42 beer thread

I've had an Imperial Golden Stout recently called Master of Disguise from Stone Brewing. I found the juxtaposition of appearance and flavor and mouthfeel to be somewhat disturbing. Something that tastes like that NEEDS to be dark IMO... it was Imperial ffs, with chocolate and coffeee... the heaviest kind of stout... it was surreal.

Stone-MasterofDisguise-fowle.jpg

Not a huge fan but very interesting.

Now Weizenbocks, I am down with those, they're some of my favorites. Hefeweizen on steroids. My favorite Weizenbock is Weihenstephaner Vitus... the king of all wheat beers! Oldest brewery in the world, since 1040 AD...

9e0ec_Weihenstephaner-Vitus-cerveja.jpg

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I've had an Imperial Golden Stout recently called Master of Disguise from Stone Brewing. I found the juxtaposition of appearance and flavor and mouthfeel to be somewhat disturbing. Something that tastes like that NEEDS to be dark IMO... it was Imperial ffs, with chocolate and coffeee... the heaviest kind of stout... it was surreal.

Stone-MasterofDisguise-fowle.jpg

Not a huge fan but very interesting.

Now Weizenbocks, I am down with those, they're some of my favorites. Hefeweizen on steroids. My favorite Weizenbock is Weihenstephaner Vitus... the king of all wheat beers! Oldest brewery in the world, since 1040 AD...

9e0ec_Weihenstephaner-Vitus-cerveja.jpg

Wait a sec, did you say in the music thread you give your kids beer? :eek:

Upvote 0
It's not non-alcoholic beer though, it tastes kind of like sweet wort, if you have ever done any homebrewing. Very malty, very sweet, kinda fonky.

However, I will say that you shouldn't completely write off non-alcoholic beer. In the US its generally crap and taboo for brewers... but in Germany... in Germany every commercial brewer makes a NA alternative. Some you would be hard-pressed to differentiate from their boozy brothers. I know it sounds insane to a yank, but just know that it's different over there.

---

So last night I had an Anderson Valley Brewing Winter Solstice Ale. Kind of odd, it had something sweet in it. Not my favorite.

8375314870_d2f7f4e826.jpg

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Malzbier... it isn't alcoholic. It's basically like German root beer, but... funky. I don't really like it.
Those low-alcohol beers are quite popular in Europe, every country has it's own version. Here in Finland we have "kotikalja", the direct translation would be a "home beer". It's usually made from barley malt, sugar, yeast and water, hops are usually left out. Many school cafeterias and canteens serve it as a regular beverage. There has been incidents where small kids got drunk because of a "kotikalja" drinking competition :D

Upvote 0
As you said about low alcohol beers it's time to put here something from me ;)
Alcohol free (<1% homemade, ca. 0 industrial) beverage distinctive for Russia, Lithuania, Ukraine, Eastern part of Poland is Kvass. Is not a beer, it is made by fermentation of rye bread and other additions (raisins, dried plums, malt extract)with baking yeasts. It's fresh, sauer, a little bananna flavoured (esters flavour on so primitive yeast really suprised me) - I like it :)

Almost extinct Polish low alcohol beer style is Grodziskie (sometimes referred by Germans as Gratzer). It is made from 100% oak smoked wheat malt with a lot of aromatic hops on neutral yeast (so it not like a German Hefeweizen) and contains 2,5-3% alcohol. It was called a Polish champagne or champagne of the North because of high carbonation. This beer type died in the 90s. and was reborn by craft breweries, not only in Poland. It is amazing beverage for the summer and according to popular belief it was send in large quantities by Germans to the Afrika Korps :IS2:

One of modern reincarnations

original champagne style glass for Grodziskie

Upvote 0
Yep its a good specimen of White Ale.

Tonight I'm drinking Unibroue's Maudite, Belgian Strong Dark Ale. Yum!

unibrouemaudite.jpg

California? You drink everyday? One or two is good but anything over is toxic. Perosnally im taking a break from beer, I prefer what I messaged sirr about, you know what im talking about, its semi legal in your state :D

To me its religious. And if my blood is not saturated by it I can squeeze some beers in even though I cant nearly drink as much If I do that other.

Upvote 0
Yep I have a couple every day, but even on the weekends I don't ever drink to excess. Only at Oktoberfests. Everything in moderation. Well almost everything.

m40fin_01b

Tonight I'm drinking Hangar 24's Local Fields Polycot Wheat-Wine Style Ale flavored with Apricots.

I could leave the apricots, I'm not sure what I was thinking there, but overall its a very refreshing wheat wine. Almost a white ale of sorts. Turns out they have a whole Local Fields line of beers with local flavors of various seasons. Guess this is the spring one.

lol at the image I found of it:

1013407_10101219869548610_686532914_n.jpg

Upvote 0
Oh yes! I had that on tap last Thursday at the local beergarden, I thought maybe it was a typo on the board because I'd never seen their Fastenbier. Good stuff, easy drinking for a rauchbier, especially from Schlenkerla, who I consider the best and most hardcore of the rauchbier brewers I've tried.
Fastenbier and Urbock are competing the first place of my list of best rauchbiers, if not the best beers of all. Aecht Schlenkerla sure knows it's smoked beers.

Now I'm having Fuller's Golden Pride:
GhPHcIf.png

Sweet malty caramel and alcohol in aroma. Kinda same taste, but a bit of "ashtray" in the mix. Fuller's London Pride is one of my favorite beers if Finnish grocery stores (<4,8% alcohol in them). This is a bit disappointing, but not bad in any means.

Upvote 0