• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

More Old Movie & TV and Commercial Classics

Gamburd

Grizzled Veteran
Mar 14, 2007
Detroit, MI
Laurel & Hardy:

Block-Heads (1938) (20 Years After World War One):

Stan Laurel; Oliver Hardy

In this comedy, two World War One veterans reunite 20 years after the end of the First World War.

This movie is absolutely hilarious. The humor in this film I feel really stands the test of time and it almost seems like the movie is a recently released comedy set in the past (without all the dirty jokes and profanity).

I haven't seen a lot of Laurel & Hardy films, only Flying Deuces (where they join the French Foreign Legion) and Babes in Toyland (aka March of the Wooden Soldiers which is a children's Holiday movie) both of which were so-so, with the humor a bit outdated (obviously, but still having some funny moments and the humor was very funny humor when the movies were originally released).

I actually thought Oliver Hardy (the overweight guy) was an Englishman until some years back that I read he was from Georgia, USA and was the class clown of his small town.

This is a colorized version of the film (originally in black and white):

Laurel and Hardy - Block Heads - 1938 (Greek subtitles) - YouTube

Last edited:
Wow way too old. Heh, only old movie I tolorate is something like 2001:A Space Oddesey.

90s were my golden age ;)

Yeah, there was a friend of mine who refused to watch anything that was in black and white, though somehow I did manage to get him to watch Sergeant York with Gary Cooper.

Some reason I have always enjoyed old movies and things.

Upvote 0
Last edited:
Upvote 0
J.R.R. Tolkien's Lord Of The Rings (1978) (Animated film version but not like a Disney Cartoon)

OK, everyone I've ever met who has seen this inevitably dislikes this film.

I thought it was awesome.

It's an animated version but it's not animated like a Disney Cartoon; I think the animation is artistic in a fantasy style.

All I ever hear from people, even Tolkien fans, is that parts of the film look weird (there's a lot of rotoscoping: the film used live actors and the footage was then animated over with parts more noticeable than others [I think purposely done so by Ralph Bakshi, the Animator); or people get hung up on particular characters' funny looking beards or hair styles or the rotoscoping.

Or else people pay very close attention to details; originally released in movie theaters in 1978, basically pre-VCR time, you probably wouldn't notice the small number of soldiers in a particular scene, etc. because you couldn't stop the motion of the film.

The film only covers the story to the conclusion of the Battle of Helm's Deep.

I love the Orcs in this movie so much; they look so cool, green and mean; just as I imagined how they looked when I read the books (I love Orcs :D).

Unfortunately, the 1978 film bombed at the Box Office, and the movie studio never made Part 2, but Rankin & Bass (the TV animation company that made 'Santa Claus is Coming to Town' and Rudolph the Red Nosed Reindeer') stepped in and made a TV sort of sequel called 'The Return of the King' which was a Disneyfied animated version, and it was sooo bad I had to turn it off though I sort of now wish I had stuck with it and saw it all.

The superb musical score is composed by the late Leonard Rosenman who composed the scores for American ABC's 1960s WWII drama TV series Combat.

J.R.R. Tolkien's Lord of the Rings [1978]:

First minutes: The History of the Ring (looks like Bakshi is using a style here similar to Indonesian puppet shadow plays which tell the stories of the Ramayana and the Mahabharata, the great Hindu epics.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AT18OJEPU9Q

Gandalf meets Saruman (I thought this short scene is great and haunting):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5qqgPa33mXU

Last edited:
Upvote 0