• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Steam Pulls Game After Death Threat

SuperTaz

Grizzled Veteran
Jun 19, 2011
Easton, PA
www.pbbans.com
https://games.yahoo.com/blogs/plugg...-developer-makes-death-threats-205854307.html

A developer who threatened the life of Valve Software honcho Gabe Newell via an angry Twitter rant Monday has left the company he co-founded, and has hinted he might leave the video game industry as a whole.

In a fit of rage, Mike Maulbeck, co-creator of the game Paranautical Activity, made the threat Monday, resulting in his game being yanked from PC game distribution service Steam, owned and operated by Valve.

Maulbeck was upset that Steam listed his just-released game as still being in Early Access, rather than final. That classification, he feared, would "cripple sales."

Instead of showing patience and restraint, he took to Twitter and called the company incompetent. And that anger and frustration continued to feed on itself, culminating in Maulbeck claiming he was

Well, Steam indeed is sometimes quite the opposite of a qualified gaming service.
The steam support sometimes does not give you an answer in months.
It's also said to see that Steam supports censorship by handing out censored copies or even block the game in several countries completely. Not really what I expect from a US company where they are all about freedom.

Concerning that incident, let's try to see both sides here:
If the game was truly underrated by calling it "early access" it's clearly a fraud. I don't know how far this affects sales but if it kills the existence of this developing studio, I do understand the rage. Because then it is like calling a teacher a pedophile because you do not like them. They will most likely be suspended from work at once and will have a hard time to ever get a job again, including more false claims on sexual harassment.

If however he released a late alpha to public in his greed for money, he deserves just right that Steam slapped his face.

Upvote 0
The game has been early access for a long time now. I actually own it from a bundle I purchased long ago.

The issue was that they finally decided the game was "final" so it was time to advertise it as such on Steam. It got a front page ad but it said "Now Available in Early Access". That's what set Mike Maulbeck off. He then went on a Twitter temper tantrum. The tweet of his that got the game removed is when he said that he would kill Gabe Newell. I agree with Valve's decision to remove his game from Steam.

Upvote 0
So how old is this guy, Maulbeck? Like 12? Such a professional way to handle oneself.....:rolleyes: My wife and I were discussing the lack of owning up to one's own responsibilities this "new" generation has. We surmised that the onus really falls upon us as parents for failing to raise an "accountable" generation. (Anyone for a game of soccer where they don't keep score? Don't want to hurt the youngsters self-esteem now do we?)

Everyone has the right to be angry and/or feel slighted. How one deals with it is the issue. Perhaps the young man should get out and physically socialize (as opposed to remotely via Facecrap and Twoitter) with the human race every now and again? :rolleyes:

Upvote 0
So how old is this guy, Maulbeck? Like 12? Such a professional way to handle oneself.....:rolleyes: My wife and I were discussing the lack of owning up to one's own responsibilities this "new" generation has. We surmised that the onus really falls upon us as parents for failing to raise an "accountable" generation. (Anyone for a game of soccer where they don't keep score? Don't want to hurt the youngsters self-esteem now do we?)

Everyone has the right to be angry and/or feel slighted. How one deals with it is the issue. Perhaps the young man should get out and physically socialize (as opposed to remotely via Facecrap and Twoitter) with the human race every now and again? :rolleyes:

"Revolutions can change every but one thing: the people"
I am ashamed of my generation in many ways. It's their inability to act responsible for themselves and their boldness to make me responsible for things they committed but don't want to accept the consequences. Particularly the immense consume of alcohol and as they are dead drunk, they expect you to take care of them. Sadly law orders you to do so.

I do understand that a bad rating of a game can kill the existence of a game developer, but still it just isn't worth placing a death threat on the internet.

Murder gets you 15 years here, which is pathetic in my eyes. No, no death penalty but lifetime imprisonment in a dark cell. I can not understand who someone who murdered another human can be rehabilitated, it's simply not possible. They always say "Ah people can change and everybody makes mistakes." DAFUQ!? So just because you felt bad you are allowed to murder someone and then get back into society? I don't care if someone changes, they still ended someone's life. :mad:

Upvote 0
Last edited:
Upvote 0