• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

On the day you were born, what happened in World War II?

Nikita

Grizzled Veteran
May 5, 2011
On this day, seventy years ago, the Soviet counteroffensive north of Stalingrad roared into motion with an apocalyptic artillery bombardment of Romanian and Italian positions, followed by a general armored attack across the Don and Southwest fronts...

...and it occured to me that in this span of years, 2009-2015, we are currently observing the seventieth anniversary of the whole war. To commemorate this, I just thought I'd start a thread that's been on my mind for some time:

So Without Further Ado... what major World War Two events occured on the day you were born?

I'll start.
August 17, 1992.

17 August, 1941:
--Army Group South reaches the Dnieper River, capturing Dnepropetrovsk. Novogorod is captured by Army Group North.

Fifty years to the day before I was born, on 17 August, 1942:
--Spearheads of the Sixth Army crossed the Don River on their advance to Stalingrad.
--The Eighth Air Force launched its first bombing mission in Europe, striking at the Rouen-Sotteville marshalling yards in France. The pilot in the lead bomber? A certain Captain Paul Warfield Tibbets Jr.
--Marine Raiders landed on Makin Island in the Pacific in one of the first offensive actions of the Pacific War by the United States.

17 August, 1943:
--The Eighth Air Force flew Mission 84, the infamous Schweinfurt-Regensburg raid on ball-bearing plants in Germany. Over sixty B-17 bombers were shot down in one of the costliest strategic bombing raids of the entire war.
--General George S. Patton arrives with his troops in Messina, Sicily, beating British forces in the race to the city and concluding the Sicily campaign.

17 August, 1944:
--The town of Falaise is captured by Canadian troops.

Nothing terribly exciting...

1942 – World War II: Second day of the Battle of Edson's Ridge in the Guadalcanal campaign. U.S. Marines successfully defeated attacks by the Imperial Japanese Army with heavy losses for the Japanese forces.
1943 – The Municipal Theatre of Corfu is destroyed during an aerial bombardment by Luftwaffe.

and this happened in 93.
This week in history: 1993 PLO peace treaty - YouTube

Oh what hopeful times they were... :(

Last edited:
Upvote 0
22nd July.

Soviets began installing a puppet government in the "liberated" (and undergoing further "liberation") Poland with the publication of the PKWN's manifesto in 1944. This one I am very well aware of.

Didn't know that the precise date for the commencement of this one was the same, but Germans started the liquidation of the Warsaw Ghetto on that day in 1942 (i.e. the deportations).

And some random facts like these: the US started rationing gasoline for civilian use and US troops captured Palermo ('42 and '43 respectively).

Upvote 0
19th August 1934: Hitler was approved for sole executive power over Germany

19th August 1942: Allies attempted to gain the port of Dieppe, retreating after suffering around 4,000 casualities of the approximate 6,000 attempting to land on the beaches

19th August 1944: Liberation of Paris began, the UN began considering what actions would be taken after Germany's surrender.

19th August 1945: Ho Chi Minh begins rebellion against French colonists in Vietnam.

19th August 1994: Gibby was born :D

Upvote 0
December 2 – Manhattan Project: Below the bleachers of Stagg Field at the University of Chicago, a team led by Enrico Fermi initiates the first self-sustaining nuclear chain reaction (a coded message, "The Italian navigator has landed in the new world" is then sent to U.S. President Franklin D. Roosevelt).

yep :3

and I was born in Chicago too

Upvote 0
I was born on the 9th of May. Every year, Russia throws me a gigantic birthday party in Red Square, with the whole government, state, and general staff in attendance. They thank me personally for singlehandedly defeating Nazi Germany and saving millions of Russian lives using only my cock.

It's also the day Italy formally annexed Ethiopia, the town of Zinkiv was wiped off the map, the Zoludek Ghetto was liquidated, Victor Emmanuel III abdicated, Schumann's declaration laid the foundation for a new order in Europe that will become the European Union, and West Germany joined NATO.

Upvote 0
Dec 27th

Apparently my birthday was a big day for Norwegians & Finns.

Finland. Soviet 4th division desperately tries to reinforce its bridgehead on the Finnish side of the Suvanto River, at the Eastern end of the Karelian Isthmus. Thousands of Soviet troops cross the ice in bright moonlight and are punished by Finnish artillery & machinegun fire, leaving the ice “littered with piles of bodies”. In response, Finnish artillery shells the dug in Soviet troops on the bridgehead. Finnish 6th separate battalion attacks at 11.45 AM & clears the trenches in several hours of close combat. Battle of Kelja is over at 6 PM with 2000 Soviets dead. Finns have 400 dead and wounded but capture 6 anti-tank guns & hundreds of machineguns & rifles.

In Suomussalmi, Finnish 9th division with artillery support moves in on the trapped Soviet 163rd division. Despite cold, hunger and poor leadership, the Soviet troops hold out in fierce hand to hand combat. 44th division hears the battle but again fails to march to the sound of the guns.

Atlantic Ocean. At 11.31 PM 300 miles off Senegal, U-65 uses a torpedo and 70 rounds from the deck gun to sink Norwegian SS Risanger (carrying coal and vehicles to British forces at Alexandria, Egypt, around the Cape of Good Hope rather than going through the Mediterranean). All 29 crew take to the lifeboats and are picked up after a few days by Norwegian tanker MV Belinda and landed in Capetown on Jan 10 1941.

Hong Kong. Japanese General Sakai, commander of Hong Kong Operation, parades 38th Infantry Division in triumph through Victoria, Hong Kong.

Operation Archery. At dawn, British cruiser HMS Kenya and 4 destroyers shell German defenses on Vaagso Island, Southern Norway. 560 British Commandos and 12 Norwegian troops land, despite stiff resistance from 150 German mountain troops on leave from USSR. They complete their mission to destroy fish-oil stores and production facilities (which the Germans use to manufacture high explosives) and, in addition, capture a complete German Naval Code plus 98 German POWs & Norwegian Quisling collaborators. British have 21 killed & 57 wounded and Norwegians 1 killed, while Germans lose 120 killed. Several Norwegians volunteers return with the Commandos to serve in the Free Norwegian Forces.

Africa. General Giraud becomes the leader of French Africa.

Atlantic Ocean. German submarine U-356 sunk with all hands off the Azores. Revenge for the SS Risanger?

Eastern front. Manteufel's capture of Zhitomir in late Nov 1943 prevented the annihilation of the 8th Panzer Division; for this feat he was awarded Oak Leaves to his Knight's Cross and was made the commander of the elite Panzer Grenadier Gro

Last edited:
Upvote 0
February 23rd:

1938: Twelve Chinese fighter planes drop bombs on Japan.

1940: Sweden announces that she will not permit British or French troops to cross through her territory on their way to Finland.

1940: The Soviet Union announces its final conditions for peace. Finland must hand over the Karelia Isthmus and the shores of Lake Ladoga. It must also grant a 30 year lease on the Hang

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Nagasaki here too.

I don't always make an explosive entrance.....

August 16th:

42' "The two-person crew of the U.S. naval blimp L-8 disappears without a trace on a routine anti-submarine patrol over the Pacific Ocean. The blimp drifts without her crew and crash-lands in Daly City, California." - wiki There was something on this on discover a while back actually.

Not much else in ww2, but for my birthday itself " A solar flare from the Sun creates a geomagnetic storm that affects micro chips, leading to a halt of all trading on Toronto's stock market."

Last edited:
Upvote 0
1941 - German Invasion of Russia advances
29th June 1941 : German divisions make major advances on Leningrad, Moscow, and Kiev due to the surprise attack and the use of the Luftwaffe.

1943 - U.S.A. Manhattan Project
29th June 1943 : Following problems between Manhattan Project physicist J. Robert Oppenheimer and General Leslie Groves, the military leader in charge of the project. President Roosevelt sent a letter to Oppenheimer congratulating him on the progress of the project and asking for his understanding for the conditions he and his fellow scientists were working under due to the strict security required on a project of this importance and magnitude.

1943 - Minsk Offensive
29th June 1943: The offensive developed through three main phases: the breakthrough of the initial German defences along the Berezina; the advance of the Soviet motorised exploitation forces; and finally the encirclement of the German Fourth Army after the defensive positions were overrun.

Upvote 0