• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

war war what is it good for

bifutake

Grizzled Veteran
Sep 15, 2012
bifutake.wordpress.com
transferring a censored discussion from the "general discussion" subforum (i guess it was too much to expect for a warning from the mod or a topic transfer). hoping it'll stick this time (either that or i'll get banned):

http://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/showthread.php?t=85366

luckily, i saved it before it got erased. to whom it may concern (before and immediately after):

edit: nope, urls are f*cked. i just realised my saved mht files are a complete mess.

edit2, found the posts in my history. screenshots:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v220/bifutake/govna/twi-censored-01.png
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v220/bifutake/govna/twi-censored-02.png
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v220/bifutake/govna/twi-censored-03.png
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v220/bifutake/govna/twi-censored-04.png
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v220/bifutake/govna/twi-censored-05.png

Last edited:
Thanks for saving that. Sorry if I insulted anyone, I didn't intend to. It's true that there were German soldiers that personally stood for the holocaust and all that, but there were a lot who didn't want this. Other than that, the Allies weren't saints either. They also bombed civilian targets (Axis as well, I'm aware of that) and they did some other things as well that weren't very ethical to do to say the least.

I'm very grateful for the often young men (heck, I could have been one of them 70 years ago) but they also did terrible things. But that's what war is all about. In the end, it's just wrong and a lot of politics that most soldiers have nothing to do with.

@bifutake:
I do realize the Germans (the nazi Germans that is) were VERY wrong. But like I said, the Allies, both Russians and Americans/British/Canadians, killed civilians as well. I think that when you're in a war, it's hell for anyone involved. Having your buddies shot to pieces right next to you isn't fun for anyone and neither is having your legs blown off or sustaining any other injury due to a war that you maybe didn't even want.

The way I see it is that a lot of Germans back then were brainwashed with hatred to Jewish people or non-arian persons in general. After the war was over I think many of them realized how wrong they were (and even during the war). Just imagine hearing nothing else than that non-arian persons are bad and should be exterminated. At a moment, you'll start to believe it.

Long story short, yes, I do remember German soldiers that have fallen during the war. They may have done many wrong things, but in the end they were also human beings. And there's one thing that all humans have in common: they make mistakes, some bigger than others, but they do make them. These soldiers may have made big mistakes, but I think most of them regret making them. I do feel sorry for the many people that have suffered under the Nazi occupation but the people I've met that experienced the occupation (grandparents etc.) have more or less forgiven the Germans for what they've done.

It's kinda hard for me trying to get my point across via typing and it may be interpreted wrong. I think of this a lot when we in the Netherlands celebrate our freedom and remember the victims of war. I feel the issue has many sides but in the end, everyone involved was a victim of that thing called war. Like someone once said, war has no winners, only losers.

P.S.: Please let it be clear that I don't support (neo)nazi idealism. I just try to look at the whole thing from both sides of the coin. Also, please don't delete this thread as long as things stay civil.

Upvote 0
@ikkiewikkie: i can honestly agree with everything you just said. in war, individual crimes are committed on all sides. war is an abnormal state of affairs in which many people succumb to its brutalizing effect and become detached from themselves. they tend to dehumanize the enemy in order to feel better about having to take the life of a real person which stands behind that abstract term - enemy.

but that wasn't what i was talking about. my original complaint regarded the tendency to equate liberators with aggressors. they're not the same. also, i was trying to debunk the false image of an apolitical soldier who's "just doing his job" or "serving his country". whether he can be called a liberator or an invader depends entirely on the POLITICS of the country that's using him. the nazis told their soldiers to fight for the fuhrer, fatherland and the glory of the german volk. it was all rubbish.

not much has changed since then. we're still being deceived, we're still being led by thieves and murderers. we're still being duped into complacence by an almost complete absence of critical discussion in the mainstream media regarding the actual costs of this permanent state of war implemented by every u.s. government since ww2.

this remembrance/veteran's day is not what it should be in my opinion. it should not be a glorification of war (in which these same soldiers die or lose limbs and souls) nor should it serve to approve or ignore the policies which cause them. it should be a protest. by the veterans against the establishment which sends them to kill and be killed. they're not liberating anyone. they're the invaders. their government turns them into murderers. if they don't rise up against this, they're part of the problem.

that's why i have much respect toward these guys:

Winter Soldier Mike Prysner testimony, Pt1 - YouTube

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I totally agree that the Remembrance Day shouldn't be a glorification of war. We also have a Remembrance Day in the Netherlands, which is much more humble and sad. Same goes for the U.K. and Europe in general I think. What you describe sounds very American to me and I don't recognize this at all from my own experience.

While I don't completely agree on your point that nobody is being liberated by war (I'd say that Europe got pretty liberated during WWII) I get your point that you don't agree with the current state of American involvement in different conflicts. WWII was necessary after Germany went crazy in Europe but the current M.E. conflicts in Iraq and Afghanistan could have been solved differently (not mentioning other wars in 20th century because it's getting late here).

I think Black Sabbath hit the nail on the head with their song War Pigs. It's just a game of the big leaders and there's nothing glorious about the whole war thing. I just have respect for the people that fight/have fought in wars and for what they've been through, regardless which side they were on. It's just glorification of the whole thing and the politics behind that are pretty disgusting. War can be a necessity sometimes, but it often feels like it's just hunger for more power for the politicians.

Here
's the Black Sabbath song I mentioned in case you didn't know it already. Also getting a bit tired so I might not make a lot of sense anymore.

Upvote 0
It is a shame what bifutake describes sounds very American to you. I assure you, it is not. It is a very reverent day. I wonder if bifutake has ever set foot on the soil of the country he seems to dislike so much. What he describes sounds more like the vintage military parade held in the Red Square of Moscow.

I respectfully but vehemently disagree with bifutake's assesment and opinion that the day should be a day of protest. Its is a day of reverence and paying respect to those that serve. How that flies over his head alludes my sensibilities.

I could make some assumptions about his life, his past and his political beliefs. But more than likely, they would be just as wrong as his assumptions about me. He does not know where I spent my nights in 1970. Or how I got there. Nor does he know where I was in the spring of 1971. My head is not in the sand, nor am I a conformist. I have more than a few years under my belt. I've been on almost every continent in the world. Some of them of my own volition and free will, some not.

I get the impression that he thinks the US and Nazi German are the only countries in the world that have soldiers and officers that have done unspeakable things. What goes on in war is not as cut and dried as those on the outside try to make it.

The Winter soldiers are many in a long line of dis-enchanted soldiers. And they certainly aren't the first to protest or 'spill the beans'. But aren't they fortunate that they live in a country where they are encouraged and free to express their views and confront their government? And can work to change it for the better. Try that in China, Iraq, Pakistan, Iran, Egypt, Libya, North Korea, Jordan, Sudan, ad nauseum....Many a person died for them to have that freedom.

Veitnam Vets throwing medals back at Washington - YouTube

In answer to the title of the thread. "War. What is it good for?"

The 1970's Edwin Starr song WAR sung by The Temptations says it all.

Edwin Starr - War (What Is It Good For?) - YouTube

The lyrics follow:

War

lyrics by Edwin Starr

War, huh, yeah
What is it good for
Absolutely nothing
Uh-huh
War, huh, yeah
What is it good for
Absolutely nothing
Say it again, y'all

War, huh, good God
What is it good for
Absolutely nothing
Listen to me

Ohhh, war, I despise
Because it means destruction
Of innocent lives

War means tears
To thousands of mothers eyes
When their sons go to fight
And lose their lives

I said, war, huh
Good God, y'all
What is it good for
Absolutely nothing
Say it again

War, whoa, Lord
What is it good for
Absolutely nothing
Listen to me

War, it ain't nothing
But a heartbreaker
War, friend only to the undertaker
Ooooh, war
It's an enemy to all mankind
The point of war blows my mind
War has caused unrest
Within the younger generation
Induction then destruction
Who wants to die
Aaaaah, war-huh
Good God y'all
What is it good for
Absolutely nothing
Say it, say it, say it
War, huh
What is it good for
Absolutely nothing
Listen to me

War, huh, yeah
What is it good for
Absolutely nothing
Uh-huh
War, huh, yeah
What is it good for
Absolutely nothing
Say it again y'all
War, huh, good God
What is it good for
Absolutely nothing
Listen to me

War, it ain't nothing but a heartbreaker
War, it's got one friend
That's the undertaker
Ooooh, war, has shattered
Many a young mans dreams
Made him disabled, bitter and mean
Life is much to short and precious
To spend fighting wars these days
War can't give life
It can only take it away

Ooooh, war, huh
Good God y'all
What is it good for
Absolutely nothing
Say it again

War, whoa, Lord
What is it good for
Absolutely nothing
Listen to me

War, it ain't nothing but a heartbreaker
War, friend only to the undertaker
Peace, love and understanding
Tell me, is there no place for them today
They say we must fight to keep our freedom
But Lord knows there's got to be a better way

Ooooooh, war, huh
Good God y'all
What is it good for
You tell me
Say it, say it, say it, say it

War, huh
Good God y'all
What is it good for
Stand up and shout it
Nothing

Upvote 0
While I don't completely agree on your point that nobody is being liberated by war
i never said that. i was aiming specifically on the so-called war on terror which is a sham. several times here i expressed my gratitude toward allied soldiers in ww2. especially those of the soviet union which bore the brunt of the war effort against nazism.

Floyd said:
I wonder if bifutake has ever set foot on the soil of the country he seems to dislike so much.
first things first. i don't dislike your country. it's the policies of your government i have a beef with. foreign policies in particular because they affect the whole world.

secondly, why is that relevant? would my visit to the u.s. change the fact that its military expenditures reach almost half of the entire world's?

http://www.realclearworld.com/blog/2011/04/us_military_spending_vs_the_world.html

would it change the fact that it holds the infamous record of the number of military interventions across the globe?

http://academic.evergreen.edu/g/grossmaz/interventions.html

would it change the fact that millions of vietnamese died in their own country by the hand of an invading force? that many are still suffering from birth defects caused by agent orange and other chemical substances thrown out of american airplanes? did anyone answer for those crimes?

conservative estimates show that somewhere between 100 000 and a million iraqis died since the invasion. the number is much higher if you take into consideration a decade of sanctions that preceded it. it always reminds me of an interview with the u.s. state secretary who had absolutely no problem accepting these figures:

Madeleine Albright Defends Mass-Murder of iraqi Children (500,000 Children dead) - YouTube

do you realize the sheer scale of the crimes committed here? primarily, but not restricted to, iraq and afghanistan.

no decent human being can accept that these crimes are being committed in his name, in his behalf. that's why the government (and the mainstream media) won't show you the truth behind it. they'll give you medals and drone on about valor, courage and sacrifice but they won't tell you the truth, that the soldiers die in vain, for someone else's interests. and that the indigenous civilians are the biggest casualties of these endless and futile wars:

Censored Images of War (part 1) - YouTube

What he describes sounds more like the vintage military parade held in the Red Square of Moscow.
you don't need to hold a parade in order to spread militaristic propaganda among your own population and have them become acceptive to it. it's funny how two decades after the dissolution of the ussr some people still try to find scapegoats there even when it's clear that the topic is american imperialism. i never expressed approval for the soviet intervention in afghanistan. they had no business there. but neither did the british before them nor the americans after. people of afghanistan, iraq, iran, syria, north korea etc. have the right to defend themselves against foreign aggression. when some of them fought the soviets on their own soil, americans called them freedom fighters. now they call them terrorists and insurgents. pure hypocrisy.

tell me, if the remembrance day is dedicated to all fallen fighters, how many of you remember the so-called insurgents?

Its is a day of reverence and paying respect to those that serve. How that flies over his head alludes my sensibilities.
in the timeless words of saruman the white, whom do they serve? watch the mike prysner video linked above.

I could make some assumptions about his life, his past and his political beliefs.
correct term for that would be ad hominem.

But more than likely, they would be just as wrong as his assumptions about me.
what assumptions? you're still mad that i called you a conformist? get over it or prove me wrong. i don't care where you spend your days and nights, where you travel, what you eat and drink, where you sleep or what your value system is comprised of. can you disprove anything of what i said about american militarism and imperialism? that's our topic here.

I get the impression that he thinks the US and Nazi German are the only countries in the world that have soldiers and officers that have done unspeakable things.
that's the trouble with impressions, they're often false. you obviously missed what i said earlier: "in war, individual crimes are committed on all sides."

But aren't they fortunate that they live in a country where they are encouraged and free to express their views and confront their government?
i was wondering when we'll come to this. it's called co-optation (freedictionary: "To take or assume for one's own use; appropriate: co-opted the criticism by embracing it"). it's the most cynical approach you can assume and it's a tactic frequently used by the proponents of the status-quo, those who are trying to find excuses for injustice. yes, they are free to express their views. but only because they're not posing a significant threat to the establishment. and the reason for that is because they're not getting a national coverage, their views are ignored and drowned out in an avalanche of mainstream propaganda. your country is being run in the interests of corporations, not the people. who do you think holds the media?

and no, they were far from being encouraged to step out and speak the truth. just ask bradley manning. these are the people i salute for their bravery.

Try that in China, Iraq, Pakistan, Iran, Egypt, Libya, North Korea, Jordan, Sudan, ad nauseum....
how about saudi arabia, the great american ally? so, these countries disgust you (you have a typo there btw)? you do realize that, historically, they didn't yet have a chance to develop their societies in modern terms? most of them were and still are brutally exploited by the west. how about this for a liberation strategy: you leave these countries be. that's it. win-win situation. you don't have to be sick all the time, they don't have to be bombed into oblivion.

The 1970's Edwin Starr song WAR sung by The Temptations says it all.
yeah, i know, i was quoting from an episode of seinfeld (which quoted the song).

this is what is needed today.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I think Pink Floyd summed up the matter best ...

"Us and them
And after all we're only ordinary men.
Me and you.
God only knows it's not what we would choose to do.

'Forward' he cried from the rear
And the front rank died.
the generals sat and the lines on the map
Moved from side to side.

Black and blue
And who knows which is which and who is who.
Up and down.
But in the end it's only round and round.

Haven't you heard it's a battle of words
The poster bearer cried.
Listen son, said the man with the gun
There's room for you inside.

Down and out
It can't be helped but there's a lot of it about.
With, without.
And who'll deny it's what the fighting's all about?

Out of the way, it's a busy day
I've got things on my mind.
For the want of the price of tea and a slice
The old man died. "

Last edited:
Upvote 0