• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Advise me for a proper battle rifle

theta123

Grizzled Veteran
Sep 11, 2011
Hey guys

my new sport shooting license is almost up and running! In a few weeks i take the exam and i am set for year 2013 with=
-Steyr mannlicher M95
-K31 Schmidt rubin
-Mosin nagant Dragoon
-Swedish mauser
-M1917 Enfield

Next to this, a standard .22LR pistol. Probaly a hammerli

However, in a year, i want to request 2 gun permits.
One is for a Colt 1911 .45ACP. I always loved these. But they do not fall under the sport shooting license

And a battle rifle. A semi automatic rifle in rifle calibre. I always loved these. And i like many. But the problem is, i like them ALL! but i can only "choose one"

So i hereby come to you folks, for advise .Or a experience share you guys have with the rifles i will post below
I want one wich is reliable and safe. This is a priority. Accuracy and recoil comes second

The ones i am intrested in are=

-FN FAL. A metric one is preferred but a british L1A1 is not excluded
-FN SAFN. Not easy to find, but 100% belgian!
-M14. or the newly produced Springfield Armory M1
-SVT. Its russian with cheap ammo!
-G3. A german classic
-SIG 510. This swiss beast looks so freaking awesome
-SKS or M1 Carbine. these are not battle rifles. but i am intrested in these little carbines! Especialy the SKS gets my love!
-M1 Garand. The first semi-automatic rifle i fired! i liked it but it is darn dammit expensive here

Anyone who owns or has experience with the above rifles?

I want one wich is reliable and safe. This is a priority. Accuracy and recoil comes second

The ones i am intrested in are=

-FN FAL. A metric one is preferred but a british L1A1 is not excluded
-FN SAFN. Not easy to find, but 100% belgian!
-M14. or the newly produced Springfield Armory M1
-SVT. Its russian with cheap ammo!
-G3. A german classic
-SIG 510. This swiss beast looks so freaking awesome
-SKS or M1 Carbine. these are not battle rifles. but i am intrested in these little carbines! Especialy the SKS gets my love!
-M1 Garand. The first semi-automatic rifle i fired! i liked it but it is darn dammit expensive here

Anyone who owns or has experience with the above rifles?

Welcome to the club good sir. I love battle rifles myself and allow me to weigh in on your list there. I do not have experience with all the guns here but I can tell you what I know.

-FN FAL. Beautiful piece. My favorite battle rifle of the late 20th century. The one I have experience was modified by Enterprise Arms here in the states, but definitely one of the funnest guns I've had the opportunity of firing. Combining the early 20th century look with the synthetic furnishings of later years like none other. Recoil is very easy given the .308s I was sending downrange. Sights were nice too. Can't comment on safety/reliability as I've only shot through one 10rd mag.

-FN SAFN. No experience here. But looks sick. I would love to get my hands on one of these.

-M14. Unfortunately, I have not had the chance to fire a real M-14. but that's probably because I live in California, and California hates men and all manly things. However, I have shot an M1A, and it is an excellent choice. Depending on the version you get, sights and barrels can differ. The one I shot was the standard front post, GI rear sights you usually see around here. Definitely recommend, and cannot stress enough the old school sex appeal of this gun.

-SVT. See below.

-G3. No experience. Sadly. Love the look of this gun.

-SIG 510. Also no experience. Looks fun but not really my style.

-SKS/M1. Both of these are fun as hell. They fire two totally different cartridges, but both are definitely worth the money IMHO. I like the SKS better, but that might just be the heritage talking. Well that and I think the bayonet is sick. The M1 Carbine however is a BEAUTY at the range. Easy to handle, reliable, and accurate as all hell out to any meaningful range. As a plus, they also come as both originals, and a hefty amount of reproductions. So depending on your price range, you get your pick of the litter. If I was buying one myself, I would probably go for repro, but that is up to you, there's nothing quite like owning a true piece of history. Also, I do want to point out that while the SKS will keep firing no matter what you do to it, the M1 is probably the safer and more user friendly of the two. It comes with a detachable magazine and better ergonomics, especially the repros. As such, I would recommend the M1 over the SKS.

-M1 Garand. A true American classic. This is one of the most fun and badass weapons I have ever had the pleasure of shooting. Mine was a mix of parts so I cannot say I have shot an original, but the thing was still a beast. The rifle is accurate, that's for sure, I had no trouble out to 100 meters standing unsupported. Not to say I was scoring bullseyes here, but the sights are very well made. The recoil is not something to laugh at, but it is not an M1A or SVT either, so it is definitely manageable. Safety/reliability once again cannot comment on as I do not own one, yet.

Now the big one. A 1941 SVT-40 is the pride and joy of my personal collection. This is, IMHO, the sexiest gun ever built by anyone anywhere. It combines the raw oldschool wood/steel look with some modern features like a detachable magazine, not to mention the (cheap and) powerful 7.62x54R cartridge and its history. To be honest though, this is not an intro gun. Going down your requirements, it is definitely reliable and accurate (don't let people tell you otherwise), but it scores fairly low marks in safety and recoil.

First of all, there is no way to decock this gun once the firing pin is locked back, your only choice is to pull the trigger. You can work the bolt to eject any cartridge still in the chamber, but this will not release pressure on the firing pin. This, coupled with the fact that the safety is a simple trigger-block means that trigger discipline is something you want to keep an eye on. Also, keep in mind that unlike some of the guns on your list, there is no way to lock the bolt carrier back mid-mag. Though this is true of the SKS as well, and perhaps others.

Secondly, the 7.62x54R is not a light cartridge. I fire 147 grain LPS light ball in my rifles, and it is not much lighter than a 91/30. It is no problem if you brace it right for a couple of mags, but expect bruising after ~100 rounds or so.

Now for the good parts. A lot of people label the SVT as unreliable, this is untrue. If you take care of an SVT, it will take care of you. I have put anywhere between 400-800 rounds through mine, and have not had a single misfire. This is with 1970s Soviet surplus ammo. It really comes down to the care you take when cleaning your weapon. I cannot stress this enough. The SVT uses a very reliable gas system as long as you keep it clean. Whenever I take the SVT to the range, for example, it takes me about 2 hours to strip it down and clean every moving part in the gun. But once again, no misfires. The other thing to keep in mind, is that the SVT comes with an adjustable gas system. The gas port in the barrel is adjustable from about 1 to 1.7 mm in diameter. The general rule is to set the gas port to the lowest setting and then to adjust until it feeds properly. Mine has been set to 1.3 since I got it with no problems, but this is affected by anything from the weight of the round you shoot to the temperature and humidity of your climate.

Lastly accuracy. I am no marksman, but I can put decent groups downrange with this gun. Competitive shooters tell me an SVT can match a Garand shot for shot when properly handled, and I believe them. Oftentimes it all comes down to technique. Barrel length is about the same as on a 91/30 and the sights are better IMHO.

In any case, I hope you have fun picking one out, as that is my favorite part about gun shopping. If it was down to me, I would probably pick the FN FAL or the M1 Carbine as the best choice for a newcomer to the battle rifle club. The FN FAL if you're looking to dive right into the big cartridges, and the M1 Carbine (repro especially) if you're looking for a gun that will not let you down. The others are great as well but will oftentimes require more attention than their more modern counterparts.

Hope this helps!

Upvote 0
Thanks alot Murdock! Looking at gun prices in belgium, it is gonna be a tie between the SVT, SKS, M1A1 carbine and FAL. The M14/M1A are simply to darn dammit expensive here. Aswel as the M1 garand. The SIG 510 comes at 750 euros here at a gunshop. It might be an alternative in the future, but not now

SAFN, when found, is bat**** expensive. 1500-2000 euro's is a price you WILL see...

I see that an SVT can cost 400 euro, a British L1A1 450-500. A metric fal can easily put you 1000 euros less out of the pocket. M1A1 carbines seem to hang around 750 euros. An SKS is quite cheap.

Gawd! i guess i'll have to see in the next weeks what it is gonna be.

its simply wont be a civilian weapon. I love that steel wood sturdy appereance of the SVT, garand and dozens of military rifles.

But seeing all those hundreds of Manufacturers manufacturing AR 15's.......

Also i plan to keep it "vintage". A FAL might gets its origenal scope and mounting(no holes required!), but its iron sights other wise. No front grips, no super adjustable stock
All origenal!

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Last edited:
Upvote 0
Thanks alot Murdock!

[...]

I see that an SVT can cost 400 euro, a British L1A1 450-500. A metric fal can easily put you 1000 euros less out of the pocket. M1A1 carbines seem to hang around 750 euros. An SKS is quite cheap.

Gawd! i guess i'll have to see in the next weeks what it is gonna be.

its simply wont be a civilian weapon. I love that steel wood sturdy appereance of the SVT, garand and dozens of military rifles.

[...]

Also i plan to keep it "vintage". A FAL might gets its origenal scope and mounting(no holes required!), but its iron sights other wise. No front grips, no super adjustable stock
All origenal!

My my, a man after me own heart! And thanks, anytime!

I love the wood/steel look myself, makes me feel manly. Can't stand the plastic looking AR's, but it may be an option in the future since they are fairly impressive as far as raw capability is concerned.

It seems that you have access to a lot of Soviet weapons for cheap. I envy you, the US recently stopped importing a lot of the old Soviet weapons, so SVT and SKS prices have soared. I paid more than double what you list for my SVT, $1200US, though I am not complaining, it is in excellent condition. Have been looking for a Russian SKS as well, but have not found one except online, and that is always tough for me as most folks won't ship to California.

From what you have to pick from, I would say SKS if you are looking for economy, it is a lot of fun to shoot and ammo is literally dirt cheap, even here. Make sure you get one with a legit folding bayonet though, some of them come with the bayo removed, and that makes me sad. Also, the 7.62x39 is a lot easier on the shoulder than the 7.62x54R. At the same time, if you are looking for more bang, then get an SVT while it is cheap, they are not going to last forever, they're not 91/30's after all :)

If you have the money though, the FAL and the M1 Carbine are also good choices. Personally, I would buy a metric FAL before a British/US one because Belgium uses metric calibers no? And I prefer as close to the original as possible. The M1A is truly a beautiful piece and they are a delight to shoot, but go for $1200-1400 here for regular, and $1800+ for match grade, so I understand your frustration.

Really depends on whether you want a Western or Eastern gun, and the size of your wallet. I personally am a big fan of Soviet weapons, but there is a lot of irrelevant reasons for that. Let me know what you end up picking up! Also, feel free to let me know if you have more specific questions :)

Last edited:
Upvote 0