• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

IS 2 greatest tank of ww2

7thGuardsTankDiv

Apr 24, 2006
IS 2 is the best tank of WW2 it has much better and thicker armor than the panther in reality unlike in ro where their armor is about the same. IS 2 can penetrate panthers frontal hull armor plate from 1200 meters virtualy every time while the panther may penetrate the IS 2 frontal armor plate from only 600-700 meters thats huge tactical advantage for IS 2. An IS 2 may be able to penetrate a tiger 1 frontal armor plate from 1500+ meters and its slightly worse optics whould not make much differnce at all espesialy for skilled gunner. IS optics allow for engagemant of targets up to 3000 yards plus effectively.while the tigers prospects are very poor and unlikely at that range versus IS 2. IS 2 armor is much better tha tiger 1 which has 100mm max front hull and turret armor thickness at 0degress slope while IS 2 is 132 mm sloped frontal hull and well sloped 162 mm turret front. IS 2 versus Tiger 2 are about equal at all ranges except IS 2 can get turret on target much quicker giving CQB atvantage and tiger 2 is extremely ineficicient to produce 1 tiger 2 for 5 IS 2 thats just plain stupid and mere 400+ were built and tiger 2 cant go 400 yards without breaking down or getting stuck in mud hehe. IS 2 is clear winner!!! IF you dont belive check out site The Russian Battlefield.ru heavy tanks section

The JS-2 was a newer creation than the Tiger I and was introduced about one year later, after Germany already blew their last chance to defeat the USSR...the Tiger I is obviously not a match for the it one on one. There are many, many factors that are ignored when looking at things like these...things like the high quality interlocking electro-welded nickel steel plates on the Tiger which gave it extra strength. If Germany wasn't in dire straights at that point with its' industry being torn all to hell by allied bombing runs they quite possibly could have followed up with the Tiger II in greater numbers and with even greater improvements or variants. It had armor up to 180mm, and had some decent sloping, and with high quality steel...well it's clear things like this, the jagdtiger/panther/panzer, etc were next generation equipment next to the JS-2/3. It was just too little too late and they did not have the means to produce/develop these things before the war was over.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
7thGuardsTankDiv said:
IS 2 is the best tank of WW2 it has much better and thicker armor than the panther in reality unlike in ro where their armor is about the same. IS 2 can penetrate panthers frontal hull armor plate from 1200 meters virtualy every time while the panther may penetrate the IS 2 frontal armor plate from only 600-700 meters thats huge tactical advantage for IS 2. An IS 2 may be able to penetrate a tiger 1 frontal armor plate from 1500+ meters and its slightly worse optics whould not make much differnce at all espesialy for skilled gunner. IS optics allow for engagemant of targets up to 3000 yards plus effectively.while the tigers prospects are very poor and unlikely at that range versus IS 2. IS 2 armor is much better tha tiger 1 which has 100mm max front hull and turret armor thickness at 0degress slope while IS 2 is 132 mm sloped frontal hull and well sloped 162 mm turret front. IS 2 versus Tiger 2 are about equal at all ranges except IS 2 can get turret on target much quicker giving CQB atvantage and tiger 2 is extremely ineficicient to produce 1 tiger 2 for 5 IS 2 thats just plain stupid and mere 400+ were built and tiger 2 cant go 400 yards without breaking down or getting stuck in mud hehe. IS 2 is clear winner!!! IF you dont belive check out site The Russian Battlefield.ru heavy tanks section
You are ignoring the fact that the IS2 could not carry nearly enough ammo and that reloading times were enormous to say the least. It's actually more of a self-propelled howitzer than a battle tank. It's not really the best tank of the war and i couldn't care less what battlefield.ru says. All in all the T34/85 for example is better.

Upvote 0
armor of tiger might be better welded but hardness and effectiveness of soviet armor is virtually 97 percent as strong nickel welding makes aditional quailty virtually irelevant especially against 122m d 25t gun, extra quality only gives equvalent to 5mm max aditional armor, even if more tiger 2 were produced they combat record versus IS 2 in same nubers resulted in 1:1 kill ratio, armor of tiger 2 being about the same and jagpanther is at a disadvantage because it had thiner armor and couldnt angle armor in a fight at 1 or 11 oclock cause it had no turret. What Germans whould theoretically invent dosnt count cuz IS 3 even more powerfull tank far superior to Tiger 2 could have entered war by late 44 if not for suspension problems!

Upvote 0
OH what about tanks in your mod!!!

OH what about tanks in your mod!!!

Will you model Soviet KV 2 Heavy Assault Tanks with 152 mm howitzer 450 were used, great for early war period thing looks amazing must be modeled, and the very effective SU 100 tank destroyer t34 chassis.And JSU or SU 152 tank destroyers/assault guns KV 1 and JS 2 chassis were actually used at Kursk Battle, and most powerfull tank destroyer at Kursk its a must if you going to do a Kursk Map. Tigers versus T 34/76 whould not work well and be extremely unbalanced

Upvote 0
Yes IS 2 only carries 25 rounds aditional 5 rounds could be carried in varios places internally 14 of these rounds being ap and about 10 enemy tanks destroyed isnt that bad a deal espesially cuz IS 2 could be ressuplied. Reloading time is a bit slow but not undless its just 20 sec for good loader only 5 sec more than what it whould take to reload a tiger gun with equal loader. Plus this compromize allows IS 2 to destroy panthers hits at frontal hull plates at 1300m plus while panther can only penetrate IS 2 armor at 700 m max and at proper combat engagement for IS 2 this whould be a huge advantage for IS @ well worth the comp in loading time and severe disadvantage for panther then fighting IS 2 beyond 700 yards which such short range happened very often. T 34/85 is good fast tank but not as good as the mighty IS2!!!

Upvote 0
IS 2 is not a howitzer!!

IS 2 is not a howitzer!!

IS 2 is far from a sel propelled howitzer its turret rotates at more then twice the speed of tiger 1 and 2 which is huge advantage up close, first shot first kill. IS 2 gun is a long high velocity gun and therefore not a howitzer. The tank is very mobile and reliable somethind the tiger 1 and 2 are far from being more like barely mobile pilboxes. HOwItzer ridiculous more of a true batlle tank then the tiger 1 or 2!

Upvote 0
Just a hint: If you wrote in paragraphs and bothered to use the fullstop every now and then it wouldn't be as painful to read your posts.

The IS 2 was never meant to excel in tank vs. tank encounters and although it did quite well there are tanks superior in this role, including the Panther. The Panther wasn't a pillbox, it was very mobile and had a very good anti-tank gun wich on top of that could be reloaded almost twice as fast and carry many more rounds than the giant 122mm of the IS 2. 14 shots of AP isn't much and doesn't equal 10 kills as you suggested. Depending on the crew and distance it could be a lot worse, at least it's not even nearly sufficient. That's also not what it was meant for: It was designed as a heavy breakthrough tank supporting infantry in destroying fortifications and such.

Concerning the Tiger: Just like in RO crews tended to simply turn the tank instead of the turret towards the enemy: More adviseable anyway since you don't really want to expose your flanks or your rear to the opponent. Just so you know: The best Tiger units achieved a kill ratio of more than 10:1 against allied tanks. The schwere Panzerabteilung 502 had, for example, a ratio of 13.08:1, the 5th Company of Grossdeutschland even 16.67:1.

Upvote 0
7thGuardsTankDiv said:
its slightly worse optics whould not make much differnce at all espesialy for skilled gunner.
lol what a post.
There weren't much experienced soviet tankers (compared to german crew) so it made difference. Also panther was more agile and it carried almost 3 time more ammunion than IS2 and don't forget the loading times.

In tank to tank combat panther is the ace.

IS-2 may have been great tank supporting attack against fortified position(s) but being "best tank of WW2" - I have to say: NO.

ps. Krazykraut - I was about to say the same, writing without paragraphs is terrible.

Upvote 0
7thGuardsTankDiv said:
Rofl, that made my day :D

Reminds me of Legovski.

Upvote 0
It's generally accepted that its the PANTHER, best all around tank - offense/defense/speed etc.:D

If the war had progressed longer, it would probably have been the PANTHER II. Wish I could find that web site with the pictures of the only PANTHER II in existence (test model I believe).

I won't even go into what I think of the IS-2...:p

Upvote 0
=GG= Mr Moe said:
It's generally accepted that its the PANTHER, best all around tank - offense/defense/speed etc.:D

If the war had progressed longer, it would probably have been the PANTHER II. Wish I could find that web site with the pictures of the only PANTHER II in existence (test model I believe).

I won't even go into what I think of the IS-2...:p
It's at the Patton armor museum in Fort Knox. It looks like the Panther I and has the same turret as a Panther I, but has more armor. It was suppose to have a modified 75mm L70, 75mm L100 or 88mm L71 cannon.
http://www.battletanks.com/images/Panther_II-3.jpg
Panther_II-3.jpg

Upvote 0
the Panther is considered to be the best and i agree but if you think about it the T-34 is actually the best in terms of 'greatness'. the T-34 was there to turn the tide in the russian's favor during the winter of 41 and it continued to be the general workhorse tank of the Red Army till the very end of the war. even Guderian called the best tank in the world. furthermore, the creation of the Panther was influenced by the T-34's sloped armor design.

Reactions: Felix Ostheim
Upvote 0
Panther cant knock out IS 2 beyond 750 yards max!!!!!!

Panther cant knock out IS 2 beyond 750 yards max!!!!!!

:D WOW this is odd you folks call the panther 1 still better even though its max effective range of its high velocity yet still to small cal and puny 75mm gun is just to weak and DOSNT HAVE ENOUGH MOMENTUM TO PENETRATE MUCH THICKER THAN PANTHERS SLOPED 132MM HULL AND 160MM TURRET AT A DISTANCE OF NO MORE THAN 750 METERS MAX BEYOND THAT THE PANTHER CANT EVEN PENETRATE IS 2 FRONT ARMOR YET IS 2 CAN PENETRATE PANTHERS FRONTAL HULL UP TO 1400 METERS AND EASILLY AT 1200 METERS = IS 2 OWNS PANTHER IN TANK TO TANK AND VIRTUALLY INVULNIRABLE TO PANTHER BEYOND A MERE 750 YARDS DO THE MATH HOW THE **** CAN PANTHER BE BETTER TANK VS TANK!!!!!!

Upvote 0
Panther 2 Is Nothing Compared To Is 3!

Panther 2 Is Nothing Compared To Is 3!

:D So some of you praise panther 2 if it entered war by that time IS 3 whould enter service which it did in 1945 and was used against the Japs iln manchuria in 1945. IS 3 is vastly superior to the planed panther 2 and whould be virtualy invulnerable to it and IS 3 much better than tiger 2. There was also a documented case of IS 2 ambushing and knocking out 5 tiger 2 the rest ran away in fear and confusion!!!

Upvote 0