• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

IS 2 greatest tank of ww2

I don't want to start a political flamewar or anything and this piece of news is actually about the IS-3, rather than the IS-2, but it's interesting:

In the east of Ukraine, the DPR guys managed to get hold of a monument:

Konstantinovka Self-defense got to start soviet tank - YouTube

And now it seems they even managed to use it, attacking a checkpoint and killing 3 and wounding 3:
[url]http://russian.rt.com/article/38816[/URL]

The article is in Russian but I'm pretty sure you can use Google translate or something.
From what I understand, the main gun wasn't used, since it probably doesn't work anymore or/and you can't get ammo for it these days anyways. They mounted machine guns on the tank and just used its armour for protection.

Upvote 0
On one hand, it might be unethical to "gut" monuments, on the other - from their point of view - it's really hard for them to get their hands on any tanks, so they take what they can get.

Also, there's this Russian saying, something like "A small European country could be occupied with only tanks from tank monuments in Russia/post-USSR". Yes, there's A LOT of tank monuments in post-USSR.

Upvote 0
"10 tanks stopped at Ihantala", crossroads full of dead :IS2: and ISU-152 after running into the finnish position.

lEaY77I.jpg

Last edited:
Upvote 0
"10 tanks stopped at Ihantala", crossroads full of dead :IS2: and ISU-152 after running into the finnish position.
Can you tell me the number of that picture in SA-kuva.fi? Do you think that picture is taken from the village of Ihantala? There's an interesting topic in the Finnish section of Axis History forum called "Destroyed IS2 tank in summer 1944". There are several pictures from Ihantala in there (including maps where disabled tanks are marked), as well as a story from the battle of Siiranm

Upvote 0
Can you tell me the number of that picture in SA-kuva.fi? Do you think that picture is taken from the village of Ihantala? There's an interesting topic in the Finnish section of Axis History forum called "Destroyed IS2 tank in summer 1944". There are several pictures from Ihantala in there (including maps where disabled tanks are marked), as well as a story from the battle of Siiranm

Last edited:
Upvote 0