• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Buying an SVT-40

The one I am thinking about buying is $800

Seems quite expensive for a refurb.

If you can find a Finn capture for $800, it would be a good deal.

has a plumb colored bolt, I've heard that that is a post war thing, is that right?
Thanks

Yep. Post war refurb. Bluing job (for what reason they even did it?) on steel with high nickel content makes the funny colour.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Where the heck are you mate?

Those things are ~300$ here in canada.

Thanks for the information guys!

Yeah, and you can pick up the newly built semi-auto Stg-44's for like $2,500 there in Canada. Unfortunately I live in Texas (for the sake of buying an SVT-40 for $300). They used to be cheap here in the US, but I haven't seen too many as of recently. There was one at the militaria show yesterday and today, but the guy jacked the price up to $1,000.

I want one for my German and Finnish Ostfront impressions, but I'm already working on getting my short barrel license for my Suomi kp31. Unfortunately the Kp31 is mainly a Finnish only weapon, and I don't quite have the money to get it fully automatic. So a SVT-40 would be awesome.

If you can find a Finn capture for $800, it would be a good deal.

There was one on Gunbroker, an American weapons auction site, that had one earlier today going for $800. It seems that the best price for these is around $800 regardless of the post war plumb colored bolt. Sad day for me.

EDIT: As a side note there was only 1 Finnish M39 at the show and it's stock was post war and in terrible condition and the guy wanted $400 for it. Crazy!

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I've seen plenty of SVT-40's at US gun shows going for anywhere from $600-$1000. I would like to pick one up myself soon. On a different note there is a gentlemen in my area selling a PPsh-41 with one drum and one stick magazine. It wouldn't be very expensive to shoot either considering the Tokarev ammo is cheap in bulk. Here's the kicker though: Once your 3-month BATF background check goes through and you pay the $200 tax stamp you can own this historic sub-machine gun for a measly $22,000....thats right the gun is 22K!!! Ridiculous, but if I was filthy rich it would still be in my hands :)

Last edited:
Upvote 0
There"s a guy i know selling his svt40. Fully serial matched, down to the magazine. Very nice condition and everything. But...the bolt is post war blue'd and thus you have that plum color..

he asks 300 euro though, wich i find a bit to much

Thats odd actually. The refurbished ones were disassembled and pitched into bins for cleaning and refurb process. As they were put back together they were not serial matched.

So if his is serial matched it would make sense that it was not russain refurbished, perhaps he just got a bolt at one point? AFAIK serial matched SVT 40's are worth a bit more because they are less common...

Upvote 0