• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

I'll Show You Mine If You'll Show Me Yours (Part Deux)

Heh. Same situation, but not my exGF, I'm sure. This was ... hell, 2003 or so? It sucked, too. Bad situation. I would have kept this girl around for a long time, I was really into her, and vice-versa. My ex-wife caused a little problem, though: since she knew my social security number and my phone number, she got online access to my cell phone account and called every single number I'd ever dialed. When she got to my GF, she told her that not only were we not split up, but she was just on a vacation visiting family, and she'd be back in a week or so.

Well, my GF was a good little church girl, and this just sent her madly off the deep end. She couldn't seem to make the connection and realize that since we'd been together for months by then, that meant that my ex-wife was on a really long vacation. The wheels came off that relationship in depressingly short order after that. *sigh*

Upvote 0
Kind of a different "show me yours" post... (I guess its all e-peen anyway...:p)

I was up in the attic today and saw a box labeled trophies. So, I pulled it down to reminisce. I use to have a wall of my 'accomplishments'. We had kids and mine were replaced by those of the children.

Aside from the ribbons, each of the brass plates were attached to either the traditional trophy or a wooden plaque. For space and weight considerations for packing, I peeled the engraved plates off (Then I gave most of the wooden plaques and trophies to a struggling gun club to re-use). Most of these are pre-'80 (pre-kids ;)). I competed once in 1993 for kicks. Took a trohpy in my division too :cool: Most of them are from pistol matches, but there are several rifle ribbons and plaques. Unfortunately, I can't see well enough anymore to give even the old farts class a run.

trophies.jpg

Upvote 0
I bought this a while back, but didn't post it because it's non-functional (at least I don't think I did). It is a military rifle though so I figured I'd go ahead and post it.

It's my 1942 Remington 03A3 Navy drill rifle. It's a shame they do this to otherwise good rifles, but they had millions so I can understand.
03a3NavyDrill.jpg

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I wish! Those things by themselves are worth more than my entire collection!:eek:
Even if you had the mechanism I am guessing ammo would be a pain in the arse to find.

Now below I have added some photos, before you guys call me a bubba or a heretic (I know you will anyway) please understand that I have not made any permamanent modification to the rifle at all. I would be loath to do that to any military rifle in my collection.

The rifle is a No.4MkI produced at Fazarkley in 1944. It is a sure 'height of the war' piece, having some machining marks present on the receiver and the 'flap of steel' but plate. However the metal is in good condition and the bore is bright with sharp lands and groves and only some very minor pitting at one point. It has always been a great shooter.

Now a friend of mine has just got into shooting recently and we have been doing a lot of hunting. In the interest of taking game as precisely and cleanly as possible over a variety of ranges I've decided I want a scoped hunting rifle. Not actually owning such a rifle, I decided to set up one of my military rifles for the task. So what I have done is added an aftermarket sporter stock, a no drill scope mount (I used the SK mount) and a 3-9x scope. This is the end result.

IMAG0012.jpg

The rifle is now a lot lighter and handier, which will make things easier when out in the bush. It also shoulders very nicely and feels well balanced.

I took it to the range on the weekend and zeroed it, I was shooting Federal 180gr loads. I'm not going to use these as my hunting load, I'm planning to work up a 150gr load for that. However I wanted to see what she would do with factory ammo and had half a box of this stuff laying around. I started off by bore sighting it at the 25 yard line and then went straight from that to my target at the 100 yard line.

This is the first time I've ever zeroed a scope myself having always shot milsurps. So I was pretty happy that it only took me 5 shots to do it. Here's a pic of the target I used (I also numbered the shots). Aiming at the bull the first shot was high and to the left, the second shot was way to the right as I was a little over zealous with my scope adjustment. For the third shot I adjusted it back to the left and down, it was much closer now. I turned it four clicks back to the left and then shot the fourth shot, I felt it looked about dead on there and shot the fifth.

I then left that target and moved on to shooting at the small targets I had on another target board. I only had 6 rounds left but I shot two groups of three which were about an 1 inch each (maybe 1 and a 1/4). I am pretty damn happy with that from a 67 year old rifle and factory ammo, can't wait to see what handloads will produce.

IMAG0022.jpg

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Any problems with the cases?

From my experience the .303b is prone to splitting and breaking open after 2-3 reloads, but that only is a problem if the chamber of your rifle is oversized. :)

I've heard that for a lot of mil surp guns, thats why I neck size my .303 british instead of doing a full case resize. Means the brass only fits back in the gun that fired it before, but the brass lasts longer. Getting to the 3rd reload on my current federal brass...

Also I could use some info from anyone here on Breda made M1 Garands, there is one at a local place for 900$ ( canadian mind you ), and I am highly tempted.

Upvote 0
Also I could use some info from anyone here on Breda made M1 Garands, there is one at a local place for 900$ ( canadian mind you ), and I am highly tempted.

Breda Garands are fine and good quality. Italy was given Winchester's old machinery to make them. However, it was worn out and they decided it would be better to make their own machinery using Winchester's as a go-by. They're made to USGI specs and the parts are interchangeable with USGI parts. It's not uncommon to find PB (Beretta) or BMB (Breda) marked parts on mostly USGI M1s that have come out of the CMP, especially those that have been returned from European MAP recepients. You can run a search on the CMP M1 Garand forums to find out more about them. $900 CAN seems like a good price for one.

Upvote 0
I've heard that for a lot of mil surp guns, thats why I neck size my .303 british instead of doing a full case resize. Means the brass only fits back in the gun that fired it before, but the brass lasts longer. Getting to the 3rd reload on my current federal brass...

Yup, that's exactly what I did too, it got better, but some cases still split after 3-4 reloads.
Maybe it was just poor case quality as well, the only ammo I could get was S&B .303b, couldn't try any other brass.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Yup, that's exactly what I did too, it got better, but some cases still split after 3-4 reloads.
Maybe it was just poor case quality as well, the only ammo I could get was S&B .303b, couldn't try any other brass.

I've also heard of some people who anneal their brass every 3 or 4 reloads, also heard some claims of over 15 reloads on rifle brass. I'm not sure if that was a mil surp rifle however, and it might have been something like norma brass to start with...

Upvote 0
I've also heard of some people who anneal their brass every 3 or 4 reloads, also heard some claims of over 15 reloads on rifle brass. I'm not sure if that was a mil surp rifle however, and it might have been something like norma brass to start with...

Oh, shoulder locking cartridges generally have less problems with that, especially rim locking cases such as the 7.62x54R and the .303b are renown for splitting open and breaking after a couple of reloads (if your weapon has a large firing chamber).

I've used 7.92x57IS for up to 15 reloads as well, then I decided to phase them out and buy a couple of factory ammo to increase my stock again. :p

Upvote 0