• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

I'll Show You Mine If You'll Show Me Yours (Part Deux)

Just got myself a Japanese Type 38 with an intact Mum!
Type38.jpg

Mum.jpg

I haven't got much info. on it yet. I may update this as I find info.

Can anybody tell me about this sword? I may be buying it from the same guy I bought the rifle from.

0507011006.jpg

0507011006a.jpg

0507011007.jpg

I left the photos large to show detail.

Upvote 0
If you don't buy it, let me know what the guy is asking, please.

also, could you take a lot of photos of the bolt mechanism of the rifle for us please.

I want to buy it, but I think he's going to end up wanting a lot for it. He's going Friday to show it to some one who literally wrote a book on these.

Here are some photos. I also have a Type 99 if you want photos of it, but it's Mum has been scrubbed. I made them large because I thought you'd want details.

That is the serial number, not the year. It was made in, or around 1933 at the Nagoya Arsenal.

Last edited:
Reactions: Merin Redplate
Upvote 0
Nice T38. Mine's similar, intact 'mum, and a Nagoya rifle. Unfortunately, my rifle has a neatly done but nonetheless shortened/bubba'd/sporterized forestock and is also missing the dust cover, destroying the resale value.... and it's not something that I have any use for.

The first Arisaka I ever found was a Type 38 like you described. I couldn't bring myself to pay the $75 he wanted. It's value at that point is mainly as a shooter. With the price of ammo on these it's hard to justify. Heck I paid $65 for my Type 99 with only a scrubbed MUM, and missing the cleaning rod, monopod, and dust cover.

Heck, here is a pic of it. I added a repro. dust cover, and cleaning rod.

Last edited:
Upvote 0