• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

I'll Show You Mine If You'll Show Me Yours (Part Deux)

Yeah, I want to try a scope, but I want something small and light for my AR. The ACOG look would fit nice.

Hopefully I'll see it for sale there soon... think it was supposed to be $150 or so.

You know, I am intrigued by the Vortex Strikefire + Magnifier combo they had for sale ... you get a 2x magnifier off the start, but you can upgrade to a 5x ... That wouldn't do much for me shooting squirrels in the 100-300 yard area, but under 100 it would do well enough ... and it would look quite nice. :)

Upvote 0
Jesus, it's been so long since I've been to an indoor shooting range that I forgot the cardinal rule: wear a shirt that's buttoned all the way up. I'm paying for it now, paying from hell.

The brass deflector on the M&P 15-22 works great. Keeps the brass from coming into my face. BUT ... the walls of the lane have a serious disadvantage: the shells bounced off the walls and some of them went down my shirt. Got about 3 or 4 of them, and now I've got some nice shell-casing sized burns on my chest, right arm and back. They've got the right shape, too: I had my wife look at the ones on my back, and she knew right away what they were.

Upvote 0
Only time I got hit by shells were by someones 10mm auto. They hit my glasses (good to wear eye protection) and my head, so no burns.

I taught an old girlfriend to shoot, once. Told her, okay, make sure you wear a turtleneck, or at least something that buttons all the way up.

Did she? Of course not. She had a great rack and liked to make sure that I got a good view. Ah, well. The S&W 422 wasn't too bad with the brass, and of course a GP100 doesn't eject any brass at all ... but the Kimber I had at the time ... that was a whole different story. That one would put one casing in every 3 or 4 right toward the neck of my shirt. Or, for her, right down her cleavage. The bouncing as she jumped around was somewhat enjoyable, though. :)

Reactions: fiftyone
Upvote 0
Carcano M91/38 Calvary Carbine!

IM9138c.jpg

IM9138cl.jpg

I just traded for this from a friend of mine. It's all matching with every stock cartouche!

This rifle completes my WWII by nation collection. Which means I now have at least one rifle from every major power in WWII!

Last edited:
Upvote 0
The Mannlicher-Carcano carbines definitely earned the awards for the crappiest rifle in history in all aspects. :D

The sights are cruder than most pistol sights.

The fixed sights aside, (which are easy to acquire when aiming BTW) I've seen much worse. These rifles really got a really bad rap, but they don't deserve this reputation. This one is well machined, and it cycles really smooth. I can't comment on accuracy yet as I haven't shot it, but the bore is sharp, and shiny.

Upvote 0
The fixed sights aside, (which are easy to acquire when aiming BTW) I've seen much worse. These rifles really got a really bad rap, but they don't deserve this reputation. This one is well machined, and it cycles really smooth. I can't comment on accuracy yet as I haven't shot it, but the bore is sharp, and shiny.

A finely machine Carcano carbine? :eek:
You should have used your luck ticket to win the lottery, not to get a nicely machine carcano... even thought the chances of winning the lottery are probably higher. :p

Upvote 0
NOT POSSIBRUU!
So you used your luck ticket twice, to get a badly machine M95 and a finely machined Carcano. :p
Duuude, you could have won the lottery 2-3 times already with that amount of luck! :D

I guess I should!:p

Truth be told, they are comparable, but my M95 long rifle was made in 1917 near the end of the war, while the Carcano was made in 1942, more toward the middle of it's conflict.

These rifles truly aren't as bad as people think though. At least mine isn't, but it's only one example. If Kennedy hadn't been assassinated by one it probably wouldn't be thought of as badly.

I'm not Italian, and this is only one of many rifles I own so I've no real need to defend it, but it's certainly better than I thought they were.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
You know, even though the Italian army was equipped with Garands after WWII, they still kept using the Carcano for their rifle teams in NATO competition. Still kept doing very well with it, too. As for Kennedy ... I'd think that was more a testament to a well-made rifle than anything else. Don't forget, a lot of these were made by Beretta, and they've got the longest history in the world of making high-quality firearms.

I passed on an M38 cavalry carbine last week for $40. It had just been butchered. The bayonet had been removed, and the base ground down with an angle grinder, badly. The bluing had been removed, completely. It had a bright finish, courtesy of Brasso. The forehand was cut way back. The stock had been cut a little, with a rubber recoil pad applied so long ago that it was dry-rotted and cracking, badly. The trigger ... well, I think someone had tried to do a trigger job on it, and it didn't come out too well. It had about a 2 ounce pull, and it released in the same place every time ... but there was about a half-inch of takeup before it would release.

The one thing that was really intriguing, though, was the rear sight. It wasn't the fixed rear sight. It was a very slick little spring-loaded adjustable leaf. I'veo nly seen pictures of a few of these rifles with that sight on it.

Upvote 0
M&P 15-22 update.

Okay, so I ... had an interesting weekend. Not this past weekend, but the one before. I got to go to what amounts to Dreamland for gun people. (Think Dillon-scale, but with a privacy fetish.) My brother in law knows the guy that owns it. Anyway, the guy worked on my M&P 15-22 and the scope situation, and after we both messed with it for several hours, we decided the scope just sucked.

After I got home, I took another look at the Primary Arms stuff. I've got a 4-16 scope on my 10-22, so I decided to go with a red dot on the M&P. Threw the PA M4-style red dot with a 5x magnifier on it. Put most of a brick of Federal 36 grain CPHP through it on Sunday, and it worked GREAT. Best part: I can actually shoot the thing right-handed now! (I'm almost blind in my right eye, so with iron sights, or even a normal scope, I can't shoot a rifle right-handed at all.)

Anyway, here's what it looks like. I also got some Magpul MBUIS to go with it.

Uploaded via PicDrop

Upvote 0
That is looking good. I feel like getting a magnifier for mine.

But I am not sure if I want to move my PA Micro to my GSG or leave it on my AR.

The GSG-5's front sight blade comes loose every 100 or so rounds, so am thinking of throwing the PA on it.

Too bad Big 5 ran out of the Blazer 500 packs.:mad: They said their distributor ran out. I paid $20.18 out the door for the last two boxes. Had to go to the gun store. Got a Federal Match 325 pack for $19.70 out the door.

I just hope Big 5 gets some good quality ammo in soon.

Upvote 0
That is looking good. I feel like getting a magnifier for mine.

But I am not sure if I want to move my PA Micro to my GSG or leave it on my AR.

The GSG-5's front sight blade comes loose every 100 or so rounds, so am thinking of throwing the PA on it.

Too bad Big 5 ran out of the Blazer 500 packs.:mad: They said their distributor ran out. I paid $20.18 out the door for the last two boxes. Had to go to the gun store. Got a Federal Match 325 pack for $19.70 out the door.

I just hope Big 5 gets some good quality ammo in soon.

I think I paid like $18 or so at Wallyworld for the Federal 550 packs. It's not as accurate as the Blazer, but it's plenty good for plinking.

Upvote 0
I taught an old girlfriend to shoot, once. Told her, okay, make sure you wear a turtleneck, or at least something that buttons all the way up.

Did she? Of course not. She had a great rack and liked to make sure that I got a good view. Ah, well. The S&W 422 wasn't too bad with the brass, and of course a GP100 doesn't eject any brass at all ... but the Kimber I had at the time ... that was a whole different story. That one would put one casing in every 3 or 4 right toward the neck of my shirt. Or, for her, right down her cleavage. The bouncing as she jumped around was somewhat enjoyable, though. :)

Is this by any chance related?

http://learnfrommyfail.failblog.org...fmf-learn-from-i-shouldve-known-betters-fail/

:p

Upvote 0