• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

I'll Show You Mine If You'll Show Me Yours (Part Deux)

And the most recent arrival, which I picked up Friday:

BILD0615.jpg

Money shot:

ZKe1B.jpg

1944 ST-block all-matching Izhevsk 91/30 sniper, not counterbored (and the bore is amazing), metal is not refinished (just patched in a few minor areas with the infamous black paint, which is wearing off just from handling so I'll probably remove it as carefully as possible), new stock was installed during refurb when they de-snipered it. I plan on picking up a 1944 PU and restoring it to its original state (and if anyone finds one serialled B-143713, please let me know! :p)
It's a beautiful rifle, it's how a rifle should be in my imagination.
What's the average price?

Upvote 0
It's a beautiful rifle, it's how a rifle should be in my imagination.
What's the average price?
In Australia, where I live, you're lucky to find an ex-sniper in good condition for less than $500. In the US they usually sell for maybe $2-300, often less. Not sure about anywhere else, but Mosins are generally pretty cheap. It's finding a good one, especially with the ex-sniper rifles, that's the issue.

Also, if you're after an ex-sniper or unmodified sniper rifle, it's a minefield. There are fakes everywhere and you want to really do some research before you jump on one.

Upvote 0
nurmich in the states has svt 40 scope mount repros for ~150 US. Im highly tempted to acquire one and then get a scope. at least for the PU scopes its very easy to determine if its a repro. ( Reticle only moves on the originals )
I would seriously recommend you do not try and scope your SVT unless it already has the requisite notch on the rear of the receiver. Adding said notch will devalue the rifle (and in the US, they are actually worth a fair amount thanks to import laws) and will earn the immediate distrust of collectors since people try and fake SVT snipers all the time. I'm not saying you will pass it off as a real article, but it happens so often you'd be likely tarred with the same brush. At any rate the SVT was a less-than-stellar sniper rifle, so don't expect much accuracy from it.

Upvote 0
You're doing better than me. No amount of brute force or swearing will get my bayonet to lock, I'm going to have to try (carefully) to widen the socket a touch. On other other hand, I doubt I'll be fixing bayonets with that rifle, so I might end up just leaving it alone for now.

Finally found a properly-done bent bolt, for about 5x the price it would be in a real country. Oh, it also snowed over the weekend. First time I have seen snow in this country.

BILD0703.jpg

Now to find a gunsmith I can trust to re-drill the holes for the mount screws and inlet the stock, and nothing else. If it wasn't for the horrific "terrible gun laws" prices in this country I could've bought a regular PU sniper and kept this as an ex by now, but I've seen those go for well over $1,500, so re-snipering an ex is the least rapetastic option.

Do yourselves a favour and don't ever move to Australia.

Upvote 0
Hey ross and Chang. I had the same problem with my 91/30. (Its not as nice as a good prewar one of course, but a perfectly serviceable Izhevsk 1943.)

Anyways, what I ended up doing, is taking a drum stick, or a similarly sized dowel, and wrapping some fine sandpaper around it. (I used 400-600 grit I believe) Then you just kinda go to town on the inside of the bayonet band with it. The fine grit keeps it from gouging deep scratches in the metal, but it shouldn't take you more than 20 min to get it to sit right. Mine goes on by hand now :)

Ill post some pics of mine in a few days, got that 91/30 and my newest acquisition a 1941 Tula SVT-40 in excellent condition.

Upvote 0