• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

[Movie] Burning snow - Soviet war movie with Eng subtitles

Thank you for this!

Some digging found the film The Hot Snow (1973) to be based on a historical novel by Bondarev with the same title (also translated into English), concerning the 2nd Guards Army south-west of Stalingrad.

51281uFDEgL._SS400_.jpg

Upvote 0
I have not heard of this film before.

As you can imagine, not many Soviet era or Russian films are shown in the U.S.; however, there usually are 1-2 Arts cinemas in most major cities that show foreign and independent (non-Hollywood) films and documentaries.

College campuses also show a lot of foreign films, although in recent years college cinema groups have had their funding cut.

Most of the Soviet era films I saw were in college; I saw a lot of the old Sergei Eisenstein films (Alexander Nevsky; Battleship Potemkin), and the first two parts of a three film trilogy about the life of the writer Maxim Gorky by another film director.

Unfortunately, I missed the last part (well, I'll never be able to see that film again).

I also managed to see a few on video tape: Eisenstein's Ivan The Terrible; a few films by the director of the films Andrei Rublev and Stalker.

The only Soviet WWII war film I saw was a well-known one, I think it was made soon after WWII, about a Soviet soldier who went home on leave (I, however, forget the name).

I also saw the very end of another Soviet era movie which was included in part of a documentary about Russia which showed Stalin celebrating with the troops after Berlin fell. It was in color, but it looked like an old film.

Thanks for sharing the film.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I also saw the very end of another Soviet era movie which was included in part of a documentary about Russia which showed Stalin celebrating with the troops after Berlin fell. It was in color, but it looked like an old film.

Probably talking about The Fall of Berlin (1950 I think). Most expensive production at that time, but as you can guess full of propaganda. Some of its Stalin-praising footage was destroyed after Stalin's death and is only available through the script.

Other than that, thanks for the link! Will be checking soon

Upvote 0