• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

WWII Cigarettes

i'd almost be too tempted to bet people to smoke one

Shouldn't be too bad. Tobacco dries out, but if you put it in a humidor for a while, it should moisten up nicely. I've got a couple of pre-embargo Cuban cigars in my humidor. They're quite nice, even though they're ... what, almost 60 years old now? Something like that?

Upvote 0
your best bet is to go and roll your own cigarettes for it. firstly, you won't have the filter that most modern cigarettes have, and secondly there's more variety of the kinds of tobacco you can use. all you need is to pick up a bag of shredded tobacco, some rolling paper, and a cigarette roller and you're set. they're pretty easy to use...

but to be frank, if you're using it for reenacting purposes - just get whatever brand you like the most but make sure they're the unfiltered kind. that's all people will really look for when you're smoking it. then you can go ahead and try to find or make reproduction cigarette cartons.

Upvote 0
Edit: Following picture may contain offensive symbols, you have been warned.

PIC_0034.JPG

That's possibly only one I know, atleast manufractorer. It is self-made but I doubt it has any errors since that guy who did it has been re-enacting quite a long time.

And about tobacco itself I am not 100% sure. I believe SnozzFartz's method might be the best one get most accurate.

I can imagine if you make pack like that yourself + tobacco yourself, pull it out in middle of a conversation and just pick one :p

Upvote 0
Some brands from the 30s & 40s:

Overstolz (still available in decent tobacco shops in Germany)

Reemtsma Ova, Salem, Juno, Ernte 23, R6 (i think you can still buy Juno, Ernte 23 and R6)

Tabakregie NIL (Austria, available again since 1998)

Haus Bergman (HB) (still available in decent tobacco shops in Germany)

Eckstein No. 5 (still available in decent tobacco shops in Germany)

Nestor Lord (Called Lord today, should be available)

Upvote 0
Whatever you do, don't touch russian mahorca. That stuff is just nasty. Smoking mahorca can be compared to burning one's trenchcoat and inhaling the fumes.

The smell is awful. My neighbour has some of those left ("captured" from soviets) and he 'smoked' one for show purposes.

I bought mahorca/majorka from St.Petersburg, when I was there about 5 years ago.

It was still sold in same looking package as it was in WWII. This I know for sure, because there is just the same box on display in War Museum ( Sotamuseo) in Helsinki.

And Welt sure is right. Smoking it is like inhaling fumes from Ladas

Upvote 0
Whatever you do, don't touch russian mahorca. That stuff is just nasty. Smoking mahorca can be compared to burning one's trenchcoat and inhaling the fumes.

The smell is awful. My neighbour has some of those left ("captured" from soviets) and he 'smoked' one for show purposes.

You guys are such sissies! Mahorka is raw, unpolished and brutal tobacco, but its still tobacco. It smokes fairly well, w/o any finesse tho, at least when you get used to it. Actually it was some of the first tobacco I ever smoked back when I was 11-12 (old, dried, bought from a russian fisher). My favourite rolling tobacco when I was smoking was the norwegian "Tiedemands R

Upvote 0
There was this professor who taught one of my classes at a university I attended, with the last name of Garbaty, who, I found out only years later, was the grandson of a German businessman who once owned a Cigarette Factory in Berlin and manufactured cigarettes in the Pankow suburb, north of the city center.

He made some vague references occasionally to the fact that he had been born in Europe; he didn't have any European accent, and I thought for some reason his last name sounded French, but it turns out it is actually a Hungarian name. He never mentioned that his family had owned the factory or Garbaty cigarettes, or that his family left Germany around when WWII started.

It looks like the Nazis took the company over, and still used it to manufacture cigarettes during WWII; then, it looks like the D.D.R. Communist (Social Democrat??) State used it for the same purpose and merged it with another state owned company; with the Fall of The Wall, the factory stopped being used. I think (not 100% sure) I read somewhere once that this guy's family did get something like 30,000,000 or so Deutsch Marks as a post war payment sometime after WWII.

He had an entertaining lecturing style, though being funny alone doesn't make a great lecturer. At least, in comparison, Dr. (Ph.D, University of Pennsylvania) Garbaty was about three times as better to the Englishman who taught the other class I had to take; the Englishman's class was a completely awful class, probably the second worse class I have ever taken in my life.

But still, I don't think Dr. Garbaty ever really conveyed what he wanted from you academically. I think what he wanted you to do was write your test answers in an academic style, using phrases like "it is worth noting" and "as Brewer states," though he was absolutely mute on the topic; but I guess that's why there are private college preparatory schools in the United States (which I didn't attend; I attended the state-owned government public schools).

In addition, I think, unfortunately, the guy just disliked me for whatever reason from day one. Clash of personalities, I think. There was sort of a detached air whenever I spoke to him after class. I received a "B" in the class, which is o.k., but in American higher education that is basically a mediocre grade; better than a "C," I guess.

And despite his friendly lecturing style in class, on campus, if I ever ran in to him, he would have this glazed look on his face like I was empty air. Then, when I would say "hi" to him, he'd only then take notice of me. I really don't know.

Anyway, their best known brand was called "Queen of Sheba" Garbaty cigarettes.

Anyone remember, heard of, or seen those???

There is some information about the history of the company on the web, with some photos of the collectible cigarette cards that would come with the pack of smokes, and, apparently, there are still collectors who buy and trade these pieces of paper; as well as some photos of the old factory building and the Pankow area, which I guess a square of which was recently renamed as Garbatyplatz?? (If you don't speak German, enter the site on Google, and it will give you a translation; though it's weak, you'll basically understand the text).

Some information about the Garbaty company and photos of the ciggy cards:

http://www.germancards.com/Garbaty/garbaty.htm

Photos of the old factory and the Pankow suburb:

http://www.ansichtskarten-pankow.de/pankowgarbaty1.htm

http://www.ansichtskarten-pankow.de/schachteln.htm

http://www.ansichtskarten-pankow.de/schachteln2.htm

The German amateur Football Club which got permission to use the Garbaty name in the name of their club, and some good information about the company and the area:

http://www.garbaty-sc.de/gallerie.html

Have lunch at the Cafe Garbaty next time you're in Berlin!! This site also has some good information on the history of Pankow and the factory.

http://www.cafe-garbaty.de

"Cigars . . . Cigarettes??"

Last edited:
Upvote 0