• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

My dad's Vietnam photos: From Dak To to Quang Tri

Great pics. Thank your father for his service to the USA. Did he bring home any war booty?
He brought home a captured M44 rifle. When he packed it, he wrapped it in some VC black pajamas that he took from a cache. On his flight back home, the customs inspector found the pajamas and rifle and my dad thought that his rifle was going to be confiscated. However, the inspector confiscated the pajamas but let him keep the rifle!

Pics of it:
IMG_0110.jpg

IMG_0111.jpg

IMG_0112.jpg

Reactions: Arisaka99
Upvote 0
Very interesting photos; thank your dad for his service and sharing his photos.

The photos of Hue were very gripping since they were taken soon after the Tet Offensive in January, 1968. That was the ancient capital of Vietnam. One looked like an ancient temple.

If you get the chance to ask your father a little bit more about the photos, maybe you could write a sentence or two telling us more about what's in the photos, like you did with Fort Dix and the West Germany photos. Obviously, some are self-explanatory. It looks like he was on patrol in some of them, and in another something (is it just rubbish?) is on fire.

Whereabouts was LZ English, if he can recall?? So your dad was a U.S. military advisor / trainer for ARVN troops?? How long did he have to stay there??

Someone mentioned Esso. I live in the U.S and haven't heard of it. Gas stations tend to operate here on a regional level. Is that a European gas (petrol) company??

I posted a few maps to get a better understanding where the photos were taken. Here's an ARVN military district map of Vietnam:

This is the map of the city of Hue:

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Very interesting photos; thank your dad for his service and sharing his photos.

The photos of Hue were very gripping since they were taken soon after the Tet Offensive in January, 1968. That was the ancient capital of Vietnam. One looked like an ancient temple.

If you get the chance to ask your father a little bit more about the photos, maybe you could write a sentence or two telling us more about what's in the photos, like you did with Fort Dix and the West Germany photos. Obviously, some are self-explanatory. It looks like he was on patrol in some of them, and in another something (is it just rubbish?) is on fire.

Whereabouts was LZ English, if he can recall?? So your dad was a U.S. military advisor / trainer for ARVN troops??

Someone mentioned Esso. I live in the U.S and haven't heard of it. Gas stations tend to operate here on a regional level. Is that a European gas (petrol) company??
Under each of the photos, I included a link to the reverse side of the photo. My father wrote little descriptions on the back of nearly all of them.

I did a little googling on LZ English, and this site says that "LZ English was located just north of the Bong Son River in Binh Dinh Province".

From what I remember, my dad was the commander of a firebase (He was a captain in the field artillery, 1st Air Cav) for the first half of his tour, and an advisor to an ARVN and RF/PF (Regional Forces/Popular Forces) unit in Quang Tri city, Quang Tri province. That was the northernmost province of South Vietnam and it bordered the DMZ.

That's all I can remember off the top of my head. I'll try to get more information tomorrow!

EDIT: Oh and about Esso. That's the international trade name for the American Exxon Mobil company.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
A brief history of Esso.....
There was a company named Standard Oil until it was dissolved by the courts in 1911 into multiple companies (anti-trust litigation).
One company that was born was Standard Oil of New Jersey (SONJ)
SONJ became Esso (an acronym for Eastern States Standard Oil).
Anyone remember the 1960's "Put a tiger in your tank" slogan?
Esso renamed to Exxon.
Exxon is now part of ExxonMobile.

Esso was quite common worldwide. Ethyl International used to follow them around (Ethyl made the tetra-ethyl lead that help boost octane cheaply..though detrimentally to our health.)

A Vietnam site dear to my heart.......(this is a pics page)
http://www.tomah.com/lrrp_ranger/PicIndex.htm

Floyd

Upvote 0