• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Why wasn't this used on D-Day !?!?!

Jessyjack10

Grizzled Veteran
Dec 13, 2005
I keep wondering, why the hell didn't they use smoke bombs/grenades on the landing beaches ???????????????? I mean they could have had some type of smoke motars they could have launch from the landing crafts just before opening the doors or drop some from planes, OR SOMETHING !! :confused:

Who said they didnt?? They had troops with smoke grenades.

Smoking the whole Beach would have been no good idea however

Landings vessels could Crash, Loss of direction, German moving without beeing atacked from the Air or naval fire and German mg Positions would have known here the Beach is but Landing troops would have had no clue where to atack.

Smoke can lead to a Desaster if used wrong.
Allied commanders Cared for success casualties were of no concern.

Upvote 0
Who said they didnt?? They had troops with smoke grenades.

Well are you saying they did cause I never heard or saw it in documentaries

Landings vessels could Crash, Loss of direction, German moving without beeing atacked from the Air or naval fire and German mg Positions would have known here the Beach is but Landing troops would have had no clue where to atack.

I'm not talking about smoking 10 feet away from the landing crafts !!!! more like up on the beach to blind the machine gunners and snipers

Smoke can lead to a Desaster if used wrong.

Worse than what happened ??

Smoking the whole Beach would have been no good idea however

Hell better than what happened !!!!!!!!!!!

Upvote 0
5:00 of this video is the closest as far as I know can get
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pCLJhxfj608

The Americans have one of the heaviest gears for their soldiers plus bad weather conditions causing seasickness to some soldiers as a result their mobility has been affected and they are sitting ducks. They are lucky that the MG42 have issues like the barrel gets hot easily and have to change it while using smoke is not a good idea as its a wide open area and only a small area can be covered by a single smoke grenade(Try playing Bridges of Druzhina as the Soviets and you will see how the smoke grenade only covers a small area) unless they use it alot but with drawbacks like the soldiers can get lost in direction and run into minefields. They should have learned lessons from the Soviets who fought in Stalingrad especially the ones who crossed the Volga under enemy fire at night where they have to get as close as they can to the enemy in order to negate enemy machine gun,artillery and air support. The situation may have been different if the Americans landed and attacked at night instead surprising the Germans like the Soviets did in Operation Bagration where they used surprise to destroy Army Group Centre in Belorussia.

Upvote 0

I'm not talking about smoking 10 feet away from the landing crafts !!!! more like up on the beach to blind the machine gunners and snipers

Some of the beaches they had a relatively smooth landing with little initial resistance. Films != reality... at least not the total reality -and games are no better.

"Casualties on the British beaches were roughly 1,000 on Gold Beach and the same number on Sword Beach. The remainder of the British losses were amongst the airborne troops: some 600 were killed or wounded, and 600 more were missing; 100 glider pilots also became casualties. The losses of 3rd Canadian Division at Juno Beach have been given as 340 killed, 574 wounded and 47 taken prisoner.

The breakdown of US casualties was 1,465 dead, 3,184 wounded, 1,928 missing and 26 captured. Of the total US figure, 2,499 casualties were from the US airborne troops (238 of them being deaths). The casualties at Utah Beach were relatively light: 197, including 60 missing. However, the US 1st and 29th Divisions together suffered around 2,000 casualties at Omaha Beach."

...from http://www.ddaymuseum.co.uk/

Last edited:
Upvote 0

I am gonna look it up. Give me time. Pretty sure though.
Regarding to the Post above me:
Yes most Landings werent heavily contested. Only Omaha Beach was Kind of a failure.
Again you cant smoke constantly that precise and concentrated.
The German Bunkers couldnt have been smoked without Smoking yourself. Wind was Heavy and the only means of Smoking would have been bombs, naval barrage etc.
Smoking for little casualties was not an option. The Landings had to be as quick as possible. The allies feared German counteratacks.
Besides the German mg nest which killed all those guys at Omaha was overseen by recon so they wouldnt have smoke it Anyway.

Upvote 0