• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

what OS to put in old P3 system???

chuy

Grizzled Veteran
Apr 14, 2012
Jalisco, Guadalajara, M
I have an old pc that needs a good OS. A lightweight linux distro maybe? This pc is for the family that doesnt game (so they can stay away from the gaming pc :p ). Like what everyday people do in a pc like check email, word process, surf the web etc. The system specs are:

Dual Pentium 3 (Coppermine) 1ghz ( yes dual physical cpus)
1.12gb pc133 ram
ECS D6VAA motherboard
Zotac Geforce GT 430 512mb pci :D
Windows xp pro sp3

Xp is lightweight but maybe I prefer a linux distro better.

Oh and also, my family are serious youtubers thats why I bought the 430 so we can have some hardware acceleration going on. :p

Last edited:
Hmm, If your family is familiar with Linux use, that would be my best suggestion.

If they are not / don't want to learn a new OS, you might want to go with the XP.

You know what, let me give my dad a call tomorrow. He runs an excellent Linux box that is light weight, but has the option of emulating windows should the need arise, that way you can have both Linux and XP.

Upvote 0
I installed Xubuntu on my mother's 2009 netbook, which was extremely slow with Windows. Now it's lightning fast and my mother love it (and she has never used Linux before).

Since most of what she does is browsing, she really didnt have to learn anything new, as she uses the same firefox anyway. I originally had my doubts and thought she would get pissed by something she doesn't understand, but I have not heard any complaint from her. Everything have been praise.

Just try setting it up for them, and see how it goes. As long as you put the shortcuts in the taskbar/desktop to the stuff they would normally use, they don't really have to bother with any of the "complicated" stuff.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Just try setting it up for them, and see how it goes. As long as you put the shortcuts in the taskbar/desktop to the stuff they would normally use, they don't really have to bother with any of the "complicated" stuff.

hihi, exactly what i did with my moms Laptop. Made all shortcuts and renamed them like "Internet" to make them obvious. :D

Upvote 0