• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Steam OS

Personally I'm very excited for this. Since RO2 is much less about twitch gaming, if I can be even 50% as effective with the Steam controller, i'd be very pleased.

I've only ever used m&k, except once trying Skyrim and RO2 with an xbox controller. Although I was much worse in RO2 with the controller (obviously), I still loved the feel of it (especially for tanks and rumble effects) and found myself playing differently and adapting to the limitations of the controller. I noticed that I used the cover system much more and used blind firing (to 0 effect of course :D), but it just showed that it's natural to adapt.

After about an hour of playing I had many less kills than usual (but since I only play Russians, I guess my KDR was more historically accurate, so there's that :p), but the immersion was fantastic, mainly because I felt much more vulnerable to everything. If someone would shoot at me, I would panic, scurry to cover and duck, and then panic some more, before finally trying to collect my thoughts and discern where the fire was coming from. It's a humbling feeling, and one that I have great respect for.

IMO there's nothing wrong with console gaming - it's more casual, yes, but I find I'm less interested in the end result and stats and find myself simply enjoying myself more! I could actually sit back in my chair and relax. Maybe I have been playing RO2 wrong up until now, idk, but it's nice for a change to take out the competitive aspect and give in to the great immersion RO2 has to offer.

So will the Steam Controller offer the same precision as a m&k? Doubtfully, but at least we have the option to use both, and there's no harm in that, is there?

Upvote 0
ValvesSteamMachineSeattleTimes.jpg

http://www.gametrailers.com/side-mission/65031/heres-the-first-prototype-image-of-valves-steam-machine

Upvote 0
Personally I'm very excited for this. Since RO2 is much less about twitch gaming, if I can be even 50% as effective with the Steam controller, i'd be very pleased.

I've only ever used m&k, except once trying Skyrim and RO2 with an xbox controller. Although I was much worse in RO2 with the controller (obviously), I still loved the feel of it (especially for tanks and rumble effects) and found myself playing differently and adapting to the limitations of the controller. I noticed that I used the cover system much more and used blind firing (to 0 effect of course :D), but it just showed that it's natural to adapt.

After about an hour of playing I had many less kills than usual (but since I only play Russians, I guess my KDR was more historically accurate, so there's that :p), but the immersion was fantastic, mainly because I felt much more vulnerable to everything. If someone would shoot at me, I would panic, scurry to cover and duck, and then panic some more, before finally trying to collect my thoughts and discern where the fire was coming from. It's a humbling feeling, and one that I have great respect for.

IMO there's nothing wrong with console gaming - it's more casual, yes, but I find I'm less interested in the end result and stats and find myself simply enjoying myself more! I could actually sit back in my chair and relax. Maybe I have been playing RO2 wrong up until now, idk, but it's nice for a change to take out the competitive aspect and give in to the great immersion RO2 has to offer.

So will the Steam Controller offer the same precision as a m&k? Doubtfully, but at least we have the option to use both, and there's no harm in that, is there?

The controller seems to be optional, you can still use keyboard mouse.

A steam machine is not a console its just a PC with Steam OS based off Debian linux installed. Heck I have the beta disk sitting in my draw which I might install soon as a dual boot.

Upvote 0