• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Steam OS

This will likely be at the cost of PC gaming. Moving to the living room and making gaming "causal" (Angry Birds ect.) is not a good thing. The push towards making everything controller friendly can have big consequences for games not meant to be played with controllers, and result in dumbed down and simplification of controls.

Perhaps Steam and SteamOS will be kept separate, but it does not seem like this is the case. I assume most of our current games will not run on SteamOS either seeing that it is Linux based. I see Valve making a push for Linux, casual based games... I just hope this does not affect the Steam for Windows and complex games that would have been sold on Steam.

Upvote 0
Yea I dont like it. This is leading to the steam box. They are trying to link pc gaming and consoles. I dont like that. That same problem of console and pc mutliplayer problem of keyboard vs controller. And not all games are available for Linux.

And whats up with the xi3 pistol? 1000 dollars for an amd quad core and integrated gpu? Pretty awful purchase if you ask me. I got my phenom 955 @4.1ghz and gtx 460 768 mb with 12gb 1600 ram that most likely outperform this. And this rig cost me 400 bucks. The only thing that is limiting me is that dam 768 mb memory. I can play BF3 maxed out without AA with about 33-40 fps @1080p-something I doubt the pistol would do.

Heck I remember now, it was and out of the 450 bucks included my monitor also. So I probably wasted around 350 on parts.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
not all games are available for Linux.

"You can play all your Windows and Mac games on your SteamOS machine, too. Just turn on your existing computer and run Steam as you always have - then your SteamOS machine can stream those games over your home network straight to your TV!"

I don't see what the problem with this is, how is this going to be at the cost of PC gaming? This generation of consoles have been in our living rooms for 7 years now, I don't see what the introduction of this will affect PC gaming negatively. Not everybody will be moving to the living room, the the more serious guys will stick to the PC and still have games designed for it. Obviously the controls are going to be a problem but with Valve being Valve they probably have already found a good solution to this. It's also completely open to so people can still use KB+M on the big screen if they want.

Also for the record, Angry Birds and all these "casual" games are already available on the PC and home consoles.

Upvote 0
I don't know. I don't like the idea that now game devs need to think one more OS to work with, like if this thing is being pushed and Valve fanbase makes it worth while to do. Like doesn't linux use OpenGL or something and windows directX, so adding more head ache to already small dev pool and poor ports.

Plus this sounds really dumb, because Linux only has couple of native games made for it and having this supposed extra boost for your game performance seems quite pointless seeing how 90% of console ports don't really push anything. Maybe dual OS setup with Win and Steamos, but there are less and less games really pushing the pc gaming anymore. I get it that they are kinda thinking the way of Google makes android and now 3rd party can make all those extra stuff, but I don't see this filling any void like android did.

And it's too complicated for normal console joe to hook stuff from your pc to another pc to hook it to a tv, and as a standalone linux steambox theres not nearly enough games. I feel tired myself already just thinking about it. And you maybe have to install the OS in there aswell, holy ****.

Upvote 0
Moving to the living room and making gaming "causal" (Angry Birds ect.)

They are not gonna be any more casual than what you will get on an Xbone or PS4. Which is what you are already getting when buying multyplatforms for PC.

The only thing I fear is that they won't bother giving PC games proper m&kb support.

What I also don't understand is: Connecting your PC to the TV via HDMI, using a wireless mouse and headset is already the best option you can have.

I have my PC connected to my 50' TV and I use a Logitech G700 and a wireless headset already. Why would I want to switch to steam's idea of connecting?

You don't. But most people don't have your set up.

I don't know. I don't like the idea that now game devs need to think one more OS to work with, like if this thing is being pushed and Valve fanbase makes it worth while to do. Like doesn't linux use OpenGL or something and windows directX, so adding more head ache to already small dev pool and poor ports.

You can run OpenGL games in windows. They could just ditch DirectX and still make the game work on windows.

Plus this sounds really dumb, because Linux only has couple of native games

That's what they are trying to change-> "Hundreds of great games are already running natively on SteamOS. Watch for announcements in the coming weeks about all the AAA titles coming natively to SteamOS in 2014"

90% of console ports don't really push anything.

With next gen around the corner, this trend will change a little bit.

Maybe dual OS setup with Win and Steamos

I don't think this is meant to be used as a substitute for windows in your desktop (not yet) For now, this is essentially an OS for (yet to announce) consoles.

I get it that they are kinda thinking the way of Google makes android and now 3rd party can make all those extra stuff, but I don't see this filling any void like android did.

There is a void in the living room, which is what they are going for. Valve's objective seems to be making the living room's Android.

And it's too complicated for normal console joe to hook stuff from your pc to another pc to hook it to a tv

Normal console joe don't have a Steam library, so he doesnt have to bother with that. They can just buy a Steambox like they would buy a PS4, and they are good to go with whatever games they release for it (plus the pre existing Linux compatible ones)

I feel tired myself already just thinking about it. And you maybe have to install the OS in there aswell, holy ****.

There is no reason not to come pre-installed, unless you decide to build your own "console", and if you can do that, you would be experienced enough to install the OS.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
You don't. But most people don't have your set up.

Yeah, I know that. I just took myself as an example. But a simple HDMI cable allows you to connect your PC or your Laptop to connect with your TV. And such a cable just costs what? 10-20 bucks? It's the same connection a PS 3 uses...

While writing this, I realize, this wireless input (PS 3 controller, cordless Mouse and keyboard) seems to be the major idea... Or am I missing sth else here?

Upvote 0
Yeah, I know that. I just took myself as an example. But a simple HDMI cable allows you to connect your PC or your Laptop to connect with your TV. And such a cable just costs what? 10-20 bucks? It's the same connection a PS 3 uses...

While writing this, I realize, this wireless input (PS 3 controller, cordless Mouse and keyboard) seems to be the major idea... Or am I missing sth else here?

Well, you could have your desktop and your living room 10 or 20 meters apart. Not ideal for an HDMI cable.

Upvote 0
What I also don't understand is: Connecting your PC to the TV via HDMI, using a wireless mouse and headset is already the best option you can have.

I have my PC connected to my 50' TV and I use a Logitech G700 and a wireless headset already. Why would I want to switch to steam's idea of connecting?

Well, I for one have my gaming PC in another room, as it is huge and noisy (a non issue there, as I play using a headset).

While I occasionally set it up in the living room, its not only a hassle, but also my missus isn't too fond of it. But having a silent barebones PC as a media center / steamOS box for streaming games from my PC to it sounds awesome. Gaming PC performance in the living room without the drawbacks.

Upvote 0
There is a speculation about the controller:

valve-controller-patent-trackball-280x170.jpg

original.jpg

If this is true it can be amazing, if you can just switch a stick for a trackball it would fix most of the issues current controller have when playing PC games.

Better precision for FPS and posibility of playing games that require a mouse interface like strategy games or point and click adventures.

Upvote 0
That controller will be awful. I hate the playstations controller because it has two sticks at the same level, which makes it hard to control camera and the action buttons at the same time. Now this one look's like much harder to do the same thing because your hands need to move from both sides at the same time.

Having a,b..buttons so far away make it really ****ty way to play games. And console ports near impossible. Theres nothing wrong with playing games with Xbox controller(same as Gamecubes from Nintendo, which is the best controller I have used) when it comes to ports.

I can't imagine using that with anything I'm currently playing with my PC games. Like try to play Dark Souls with that one.

I really do want to like this idea from Valve, but I just feel like they are making useless risk that even if it would succeed it's still waste of everyones time(except Gabes wallet). I still only see the reason to install SteamOS as second gaming OS and that's it. I would rather buy Xboxone if I wanted my living room space taken(and it would take much better care of that because of that camera and tv integration).

Last edited:
Upvote 0