• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

[Game] River City Ransom Underground, Kickstarter

Nenjin

Grizzled Veteran
Apr 30, 2009
Sub-Level 12
http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/combitstudios/river-city-ransom-underground

A bunch of Canadians are making an officially licensed sequel to River City Ransom, and it's looking amazing. RCR is 2nd cousin to the Double Dragon franchise on the Nintendo, basically Double Dragon with a dash of what we'd now call RPG mechanics. They've even brought the original designer of RCR (and Double Dragon) on to consult.

h37b1ltl.jpg

I spent many hours running around River City beating the **** out of people for their spare change so I could go buy stuff at the newsstand. It is some of the best memories I have of the Nintendo, enough I still play it on an emulator from time to time. This is very much a play for nostalgia, they're trying to keep the same overall aesthetic as the original, just upgraded for today. So better, sharper pixel art, 8 bit sounds with modern engineering flourishes, snappier controls, ect...

The new game will feature 8 characters, each with their own fighting styles, an expanded River City with more shops, items and weapons to collect. It'll also have 4 player co-op, whether it's more than local remains to be seen.

They want $180,000 and are halfway there, but like most Kickstarters it has hit a flat point at about the two week mark, so I'm doing the rounds for it.

$15 (CAN) gets you the game. $30 gets you a 2-pack, $40 a 4-pack.

Last edited by a moderator:
I've been following this one since they put it up on Kickstarter. I was scared because it was quite slow going for awhile, especially with the Mighty No.9 Kickstarter buzz stealing the limelight.

Glad both are funded, though I'm disappointed in the Internet as I feel these guys deserve much more funding than what they have currently.

I can't believe I typo'd the title.....again.

Fixed it for you.

Upvote 0
Fixed it for you.

A million thank yous.

Yeah, I was seriously concerned for this one. It was coming up to the last 3 days or so, and then somehow it shot up another $20,000 like it was nothing. I guess there's a segment of backers out there that only feel good backing a project that's already succeeded.

And yeah, I'm a little surprised. I thought this one would go 200% funded or more, since RCR was part of so many gamers' childhoods. Oh well. I wasn't looking for extra platforms, so the stretch goals meant very little to me. I'm just happy this will (most likely) get made.

Upvote 0