• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Day Z, a zombie survival mod for ARMA2

Could this be done on UE3, or whatever version it's at now? I mean, I'm sure it could be. I wouldn't imagine zombies needing highly complex AI, though all of the survival mechanics would be rather extensive. If done right, of course.. *fart* ~sniff~ :rolleyes:

I've never had the chance to play Arma2 so I wouldn't know what it can do that UE3 can't. Maybe someone with more nuts and bolts knowledge of the different engines could shed some light as to which might work better. Would something like persistent zombie hordes and/or stragglers be possible as opposed to enemies/threats spawning on the players? How about a modified MMO engine? I dunno, but I hope someone with significant resources latches on to the idea. Could be great.

Upvote 0
Could this be done on UE3, or whatever version it's at now? I mean, I'm sure it could be. I wouldn't imagine zombies needing highly complex AI, though all of the survival mechanics would be rather extensive. If done right, of course.. *fart* ~sniff~ :rolleyes:

I've never had the chance to play Arma2 so I wouldn't know what it can do that UE3 can't. Maybe someone with more nuts and bolts knowledge of the different engines could shed some light as to which might work better. Would something like persistent zombie hordes and/or stragglers be possible as opposed to enemies/threats spawning on the players? How about a modified MMO engine? I dunno, but I hope someone with significant resources latches on to the idea. Could be great.

Such mod team needs good, solid and popular game with working mod tools to start work with.
DayZ is survival game and ArmA 2 maps are made for it. Chernarus has great atmosphere of survival horror game theme. Open areas, various woods, cities, villages, etc. DayZ uses 24 hours day mode, dynamic weather system and ArmA 2 engine is perfect for it.

ArmA 2 is best option:
- it is easy to learn and use ArmA 2's mod tools
- mod and player community is huge and active
- ArmA 2 engine is very flexible and fits best for DayZ
- ArmA 2 gameplay is similar to DayZ's on many levels

I don't think so it would be possible to make a multiplayer game with such huge maps, so many weapons and features on UE engine.

Upvote 0
I use dyslexi's (?) Cheranus Big Map.
The fact remains that none of the maps you can download are as precise as the one found in-game, that with a compass and you are good to go.

Up until vs 1.53 you could L/shift+LMB a way-point on the map.
I have not been able to use this function since the update.
I'm not sure if it has been removed by intention or if it is a server side setting.

I still haven't found a knife to skin the Runny Babbits (you need a box of matches to light a fire and cook em).

Upvote 0
Fantastic mod, just bought OA for it.

First game had a great moment when mid way through looting a building a bandit being chased by zombies runs in, doesnt see me tries to steal my hoard of makarov ammo I left while I was searching around and clearing the place with a random pistol I found with one clip. I kill him, kill the zombies then as I get my makarov + ammo back, another guy runs in who probably just heard the gunfire and just stares at me for a bit, taking in the scene of me in a room full of bodies, then picks up my now disgarded pistol and we part ways.

Last game after some super sneaky stalking and an hilarious bandit kill (think that bit in pulp fiction when the guy jumps out the bathroom and misses every shot point blank...just outside on a random hill) I made my way up to stary sobor where I found a military camp. I bumped into two groups of friendlys at it (group of 4 and other of 2) found an AK with 4 mags before some bandit killed one of the 2 man group, but me not knowing what the hell had happened or who shot who or if one of the two groups had turned, I sat tight for a bit then legged it when the coast was clear. In the end though watching from a far 5minutes later i did find out it was a group of two or more bandits who attacked.

Then made my way to the airport where I saw a man with a flare way way off but couldnt see if he was a bandit or not as I lost him behind a wall and bushes but made my way in like a fool anyway. After a while checking through buildings it seemed fairly safe so as I had found an AKM with 4 full mags in the traffic control tower I decided to take out some zombies with my remaining AK74 ammo as I had more than enough stuff and it was either just walk around more to find food to keep eating or have some fun. So I spent about 5-10minutes taking pot shots at zombies and just as I was legging it from the airport to log off some ******* popped up from behind some rubble and all I see if a siloutte of a head and flashy lights before I die, bah!

So ended up with 1 bandit kill, 50+ zombie kills, an AKM with 4 mags, a makarov with 3 or 4 mags, 1911 with 2 mags a few smoke grenades (they distract zombies if you didnt know), some razor wire (just added i think), a few bandages, plenty of food, water, some morphine, painkillers and flares as well as an upgraded backpack, compass, watch, matches and binocs. The git will be happy with that now. :p

Great fun!

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Why am i starting to get the feeling it is just safer to open up on any non-z yoy run across? Havent played yet but i dont want to start the game as a jerk.
Yeah, it seems to be the case quite a lot of times. Just ask if they're friendly, that's how most people do it. Other then them seeing you and shooting at you, it seems like the most efficient way.

Upvote 0
Pay once, play forever; unless majorly beefy expansion packs came later on.

Community and studio development. Allow for the community to add to and subtract from the game.. allow modding, with tools provided, in other words.

Community and studio run servers.

Kickstarter, sure why not.. if they think that would be a better route than pre-purchase ala Minecraft then they should do what they think will work best for raising funds. Personally, I think there is enough buzz to go the Minecraft model.

These would be my answers to those questions.

Upvote 0
arma is very much suited to rpg's imo, and i can see this being excellent -
the top 10 or so populated arma 2 servers are running this mod.
However, i'm too busy playing the military arma gametypes to get into it at the moment - might check it out soon thou - probably with a load of freinds as 'backup'.

I'd suggest a group of friends for sure. At first I had some severe issues trying to find weapons and ammo, and if it wasn't for me finding a toolbox and a car I would not have been able to get any supplies due to running out of ammo too quickly.

Upvote 0