• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

[Game] Crysis 3

Yeah well, not much to comment on so I'll just comment on the CGI: The fish-eye zoom in the beginning looked like it just warped and zoomed in on a 2d image rather than increased the FoV and shot forward in a 3d scene.
Deliberate special effect or animated digital artwork rather than an actual 3d scene, ingame or otherwise? Who knows.

Anyway, I'm mildly interested in the gameplay trailer on the 24th. I hope it's coming in higher resolutions than this teaser.

Upvote 0
*uses tek bow to shoot an arrow at the games name*
Sure is turok in here.
Possibly a nod to it?

Yeah well, not much to comment on so I'll just comment on the CGI: The fish-eye zoom in the beginning looked like it just warped and zoomed in on a 2d image rather than increased the FoV and shot forward in a 3d scene.
Deliberate special effect or animated digital artwork rather than an actual 3d scene, ingame or otherwise? Who knows.

Anyway, I'm mildly interested in the gameplay trailer on the 24th. I hope it's coming in higher resolutions than this teaser.
Probably a animated digital artwork. It would make tons of sense if they upped the destruction in levels now. We'll just have to wait and see though.

Upvote 0
Because they own the rights to the franchise? Since when has putting out one poorly-received game ever stopped big publishers from putting out another? Crytek might also be contractually obligated to provide another game, whether they want to or not.

And is it just me, or is everyone obsessing about the tek bow way too much? Seriously: it's a goddamn bow and arrow.

Upvote 0
Because they own the rights to the franchise? Since when has putting out one poorly-received game ever stopped big publishers from putting out another? Crytek might also be contractually obligated to provide another game, whether they want to or not.
Yeah I'm sure John Riccitiello is sitting in Cryteks Frankfurt Headquarters pointing a gun at Cevat Yerlis forehead.

Upvote 0
So you think EA has no say on the matter? Big publishers never push developers to release games too early, right?
Crysis was planned as a trilogy pretty much from the beginning. And no I don't think Crytek themselves would've preferred waiting for next-gen consoles to come out first. They already have the tech and probably wanna finish the trilogy off (at least in terms of this generation). They already had the story finished and were also probably already in pre-production of Crysis 3 during Crysis 2 development, so 2 years is not as bad.

So while I would have to agree that it kinda feels "too early", especcially looking at the gameplay trailer which basically looks like Crysis 2 with more green, I do not believe that this has anything to do with EA putting pressure on them, I'm pretty damn sure Crytek is completely behind this. Then again I'm not into the secret dark side of the moon EA base theories, so it might just be that. Or not.

Far Cry was released March 2004, Crysis November 2007. That's 3 1/2 years in which they built a completely new engine that set the bar for graphics for the next 4 years. Crysis 2 was released March 2011, 3 1/2 years later with a barely improved engine. What you have to take into consideration however is that they had to alter the engine to fit on console and they changed the design(enemy design, going from jungle to city) etc. Because of that I assume that pre-production of Crysis 2 during Crysis 1 development hasn't been anywhere near where Crysis 3 already was during Crysis 2 production. Now Crysis 3 is set for early 2013, according to pattern I'd say March 2013. This time they already have the tech + other stuff(like enemy design). That means minimum two years of full development + pre-production. That can be enough. The question will be wether it will feel like a proper 3rd entry or just Crysis 2 with more green.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I know that Crysis was planned to have sequels, but do you really think Crysis 2 is what they originally thought? I mean, it's so disconnected from Crysis 1 that it does really feel like a last hour change of plans.

Crysis 1 ended with you going back to the island. Probably, the console release made them choose NY instead cause open jungle like Crysis 1 would be just too much for an xbox/PS3 to move.

Upvote 0
I know that Crysis was planned to have sequels, but do you really think Crysis 2 is what they originally thought? I mean, it's so disconnected from Crysis 1 that it does really feel like a last hour change of plans.

Crysis 1 ended with you going back to the island. Probably, the console release made them choose NY instead cause open jungle like Crysis 1 would be just too much for an xbox/PS3 to move.
Last hour change? They changed the alien design / city location from the beginning or at the very least before they showed the game to the public. They will have had their reasons for that. But that was their choice, anybody who seriously believes EA stepped in and told them "Change that alien design and have it play in NY!" needs to be shipped in for paranoid schizophrenia.

What I can see is that EA might've asked them if they'd liked to make their next game(=Crysis 2) multiplatform and Crytek will have gladly agreed as they've said they wanted to go multiplatform before and if I was a developer I'd like to have as many people as possible play my game.

Upvote 0
Last hour change? They changed the alien design / city location from the beginning or at the very least before they showed the game to the public. They will have had their reasons for that. But that was their choice, anybody who seriously believes EA stepped in and told them "Change that alien design and have it play in NY!" needs to be shipped in for paranoid schizophrenia.

What I can see is that EA might've asked them if they'd liked to make their next game(=Crysis 2) multiplatform and Crytek will have gladly agreed as they've said they wanted to go multiplatform before and if I was a developer I'd like to have as many people as possible play my game.

Have I named EA anywhere in my post? cause I'm pretty sure I have not, and I'm not implying anything either.

With last hour change I meant that it surely wasn't supposed to be like that when they conceived Crysis 1 and the supposed trilogy (if its true that they designed it that way from the beginning), and the change of settings feels like something they came up with after Crysis 1 release.

They either planned something and scrapped it later, or they simply didn't finish the story and they didn't know themselves what they would do next.

Upvote 0
Have I named EA anywhere in my post? cause I'm pretty sure I have not, and I'm not implying anything either.
Well yes you did imply that by not explaining what exactly you meant. The discussion was about EAs influence and you talked about Crytek not doing what they originally thought, so I took it that you meant it in respect of that.

Anyways, I agree with what you said.

Upvote 0
Well yes you did imply that by not explaining what exactly you meant. The discussion was about EAs influence and you talked about Crytek not doing what they originally thought, so I took it that you meant it in respect of that.

Anyways, I agree with what you said.

Well, thats an error on my part, I wasn't following the discussion at all. I was just talking about the sequel in general.

Upvote 0

This and because EA/Crytek probably did not want the console players (most gamers) to be left in the dark. Crytek claimed they would never make a PC exclusive again citing piracy as the reason. Probably why they wanted a do over for the series.

EA/Bioware tried to make ME2/3 easy to pick up if you have not played the previous games as well to maximize sales with people new to the series.

Upvote 0
For me, there has been no new releases for the Crysis series after Warhead.

Crytek are dead to me, for compromising their artistic integrity and turning their backs on their original playerbase.

Crysis did fine, and then they went multiplat, changing the gameplay to be more cod-like and overall ruining the way the game played. The suit playstyle, from the little gameplay i could bear, is far removed from the simple and intuitive layout from the first two games.

The game felt more linear with really no options.

I'll stick to the first two games, because what they did to the series is unforgivable.

Upvote 0