• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

[Game] Tribes Ascend

I really enjoy the game but I would rate it at most 8/10. Too much of a grind to get properly equipped for each class and too much money to actually buy all the items.

Ctf is great but the other gamemodes feel very lacking. While the gamemode of control point is not itself flawed the gameplay that the maps lend themselves to involves a lot of jug/brute spam and an insane amount of ion cannon strikes.

Community group/clan support is also very lacking. You cannot queue as a team, no friend ranking, no competitive ladder for arena.

Upvote 0
Try Tribes 2 if you haven't played it, it's still a better game IMO. Still good number of people playing it online through TribesNext (~100 usually at the minimum)

One thing that strikes me about this game is the maps are much smaller than Tribes 2 ,other than Raindance (which is a port), which makes the gameplay a lot spammier and limits some of the fun.

Tribes 2 also obviously don't have grinding for kit either ;).

Upvote 0
They really went overboard with the new update to the Raider class. Both the weapons are ridiculously overpowered. The Raider was already one of the strongest and most versatile classes, now there's just no question anymore.

I get that they're trying to earn money and if they added weapons that were equal to or even weaker than those already in the game, they would get less money from people. That said, I really feel they're getting a bit too greedy.

Furthermore, updates like these are a slap in the face to players who've spent gold or exp on other unlockable weapons, which are now more or less useless compared to the new items.

Upvote 0
Juggernaut crazy... i play a a lot Juggernaut and Doombringer. But when a raider kill me within 6 sec with his super fast powerful and accurate plasma gun, i can only rage.

The worst thing i encountered is this "kunais launcher" for the assassin. It seem to go straight and do a hell of damage. Even as the "agile but well protected" soldier, someone managed to damage me at 90% in mid-air while i am at 190-200kmh in less than 2 secs. No more need of turrets or Doombringers, automatic DCA kunais is here. Maybe the guy was good, but i found this crazy.

Upvote 0
Bringing in overpowered premium content just to nerf it fast when everyone has bought it sucks. Happens all the time in world of tanks too.

I'm getting really annoyed by shrike chasers. Shrikes basically instagib everything they touch, and are really fast and agile, so a good player in a shrike can completely lock down a team by chasing down all the cappers unless two players go offensive doombringer just to hunt the shrike down. By then the shrike pilot has enough credits to buy a new one...

Upvote 0
Bringing in overpowered premium content just to nerf it fast when everyone has bought it sucks. Happens all the time in world of tanks too.

I'm getting really annoyed by shrike chasers. Shrikes basically instagib everything they touch, and are really fast and agile, so a good player in a shrike can completely lock down a team by chasing down all the cappers unless two players go offensive doombringer just to hunt the shrike down. By then the shrike pilot has enough credits to buy a new one...

Shrikes are really vunerable and quite expensive so I think it's well balanced enough.

My pro tip of the day is if there are a lot of snipers gibbing your cappers go for a shrike route as a brute. Noone expects the 300kph fatty.

Upvote 0
Been playing this recently. I like it. As I am entirely new to this, I've been swinging between hating it for what I perceived as pay-to-win and thinking it's manageable if you play to your class's strengths. I don't know. Last night matchmaking dropped me in a server where most people were rank 15-25 (I was 7). I ended up in the middle of the scoreboard, albeit with a K/D at around 0.6 (I think). Obviously, some of the higher ranked players demolished me with their brutes, raiders and I was able to get in perhaps a single kill against them in the entire match.

Need to up my chat-fu, as currently I'm only comfortable spamming "defend/repair generator room", with the occasional "attack the flag" thrown in. I like the robust nature of the message system.

I'm frequently sticking to Juggernaut, and only yesternight did I unlock technician. Felt grindy running between turrets, sensors and what not and keeping them up and upgraded, but I wouldn't say I've yet had enough of that playstyle. Need to improve the turret capabilities.
Love arty shots with Jug.

Any suggestions on which class I might want to unlock next, if I ever get the chance? I like heavy-hitters like the Jug. Although the few times I played pathfinder was fun as well, but I'm a true slow-poke.

Jeez, look at me, it's a virtual treadmill.

Upvote 0
There is a heavy class with an AA weapon that locks in on flying players and it's excellent for killing flagcarriers while others retrieve it.
Havent got that class myself though. I play a ****load of pathfinder, it's my favourite class because it's the easiest to go really fast and it's the primary flagcapper class. I don't make a whole lot of kills either, but capping a flag every now and then makes up for it :D

Upvote 0
Last night matchmaking dropped me in a server where most people were rank 15-25 (I was 7).
The matchmaking currently separates players into two groups. Those from 1-6 are in the "newbie group" and 7-50 are in the other one. So basically, you just got promoted. :p
Need to up my chat-fu, as currently I'm only comfortable spamming "defend/repair generator room", with the occasional "attack the flag" thrown in. I like the robust nature of the message system.
Yeah, it pays to know the basic commands. They are quite logical and easy to learn. For example, off the top of my head, V (opens Voice commands) -> F (Flag) -> T (Take the flag from me!).
I'm frequently sticking to Juggernaut, and only yesternight did I unlock technician. Felt grindy running between turrets, sensors and what not and keeping them up and upgraded, but I wouldn't say I've yet had enough of that playstyle. Need to improve the turret capabilities.
Love arty shots with Jug.

Any suggestions on which class I might want to unlock next, if I ever get the chance? I like heavy-hitters like the Jug. Although the few times I played pathfinder was fun as well, but I'm a true slow-poke.
You can test out classes and weapons that you haven't unlocked in the Training modes. Just go to Target Practice and try out anything you want. All you gotta do is choose a class, then open the Modify menu and choose whatever weapons and perks you want to try.

As for recommendations, it really depends on personal preference. I really like the Raider. It's a great dueling class, but also useful for the team, since it can do flag disruption and quickly take out base assets. The Juggernaut is very similar in its use (if you have the X1 LMG unlocked), but it's slower, so I don't like it as much.

Upvote 0
Yeah, I know about training mode, but I'll still be kind of guessing there. What you think works is one thing, and what really works might be a different thing entirely.
However, after thinking about it, I guess I'll go with Brute and will upgrade my Jug to have the X1 LMG in lieu of the spinfusor and possibly in the future the MIRV launcher. I am actually thinking of buying something, to get that +50% XP (like somebody wrote, the pricings are rather steep, both on XP and gold as well). Has anybody else invested any money into it yet?

Upvote 0
However, after thinking about it, I guess I'll go with Brute
To be honest, I personally wouldn't go with the Brute. They are rather useless outdoors and if you're going to be spending most of your time indoors, namely camping in the generator room, then you're playing the game wrong. :p

A JUG can do pretty much everything a Brute can indoors and on top of that it's also excellent at dueling (with the X1 LMG+Spinfusor Disc combo), great at flag stand harassing and at taking out enemy base structures.

If you look at competitive play (or even random PUGs), there's basically nobody playing with a Brute, and for good reason. The only strength of the class is fighting in enclosed areas and 99% of the time the more time you spend indoors the less useful you are to your team.

Upvote 0
With training mode you can at least get a feel for what the weapons feel like and see if that's your kind of thing.
Other than that it's probably just best to play a few matches and see where things go wrong, and see if you can pick up the slack with one of the classes.
Personally I unlocked the Pathfinder, the Juggernaut, the Technician and the sniper class. All of them allow me to do one thing or another important to the game without going into too much specifics. I don't really bother with the rest of the classes, at least untill I unlocked everything for the classes I already have.

As far as paying money for it goes, back in the beta days I bought a 7,99$ booster pack. I mainly bought it because I liked the game and I figured they deserved some money for that.
Plus it permently gave me VIP status (though everybody who buys something gets it afaik) which gives you +50% XP for playing, while the booster itself doubles that for a little while.
I never bought anything after that though the recent daily deals on certain items have been enticing, because they dont offer a discount on buying something with XP. But I decided I'll simply get the items I want through playing, and if I can't do it that way it's not really worth it to me anyway.

Upvote 0