• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

[Game] Tribes Ascend

oh dear - did ok with the 3 start classes then really well with technician and doombringer unlocks - then it all crashed as i tried the sniper.
It's so hard - when you do make hits you hardly do enough damage - heavies are a waste of time and what you should be doing (shooting capping pathfinders) is so hard you need 2 full power shots to down one (and you you dont get enough time to let your rifle charge before they are past your droppoff range)
It's so unrewarding when you make 3 good hits on a fast moving character and they carry on....and yet ppl say that top snipers dominate matchs - wow.

So i maxed the 2 weapons and moved on to the raider unlock - having a bit better luck but still have to play defensive classes just to get my kills (and moral) up.

Last to unlocks are Brute (looking forward to a lot) and infiltrator clocking guy (seems complicated and i will probably do badly again)

Great game thou.

Upvote 0
ok so i've 'mastered' (in XP terms) the weapons of all the classes and i am saving XP - and thinking of buying a few weapons.
ofc a perk like safety 3rd would benefit more than one class - but naturally i want to check out weapons.

So what are the really valuable unlocks for classes, that add something thats missing?
I imagine the Jackel and knives for inf, Mirv and disk grenade for jug (and lmg for dualing as said), thumper for tech, and everything on rdr looks good.

Pathfinder doesn't seem to need anything really, weapon wise, and while the Doom chain cannon and Brute dev spinner might be improvements, they dont look like dramatic ones.

Obviously it kinda depends what class you like playing but what weapons are recommneded to really improve a class's capabilities?
Online guides seem to be written pre-patch.

Upvote 0
I'd go for spinfusor disks + LMG for the JUG. You can absolutely shred people midfield with that combo. MIRV's not that important, at least I like the fusion mortar better.

Also unlock potential energy. It's awesome as a raider or heavy, you get extra shield/jetpack energy everytime someone hits you, and with all that health, you'll have a lot more air time. Really an essential dueling perk IMO.

Upvote 0
I'd go for spinfusor disks + LMG for the JUG. You can absolutely shred people midfield with that combo. MIRV's not that important, at least I like the fusion mortar better.

I'm not a massive fan of the jug but it sounds like with lmg added he can almost do the jobs of all heavies even HOF if needs be.

I did think the MIRV had a better range than the Fusion mortar thou - i could never reach the flagstand from where it apeared mirvs were coming from - phaps im angling wrong..

Of the heavies i did prefer the brute over all, the spinfuser can take turrets easily outdoors and the nadfe is nuts indoors - fancy the plasma cannon over the nova thou - just cos it looks more interesting i guess.

On second thoughts I might actually start unlocking perks instead of weapons - it's a slog and i wanna get the right items

Upvote 0
Obviously it kinda depends what class you like playing but what weapons are recommneded to really improve a class's capabilities?
Online guides seem to be written pre-patch.
Gonna quote a recent post from /r/Tribes.

Pathfinder - LAR*, Thrust Pack
*assuming they fix it soon, otherwise if you're short on XP, wait. It's not very good right now.
Sentinel - Nothing that isn't default is needed but they're all situational and if you main the class you eventually want all of it. Except for the Falcon. Get that **** ASAP if you main this class.
Infiltrator - The class can be played just fine with the defaults. The Arctics are sidegrades / minor upgrades. The Jackal and Smoke Grenades are fun in pubs, but banned from any organized play. They're quite good. The Stealth Spinfusor would be the one I'd get here if I had to pick.
Soldier- AR and Thump is the way to go here. Spinfusor is still loads of fun, however. If I could only have one of the grenades it would be the proxy for on-stand capper kills. The Ghast and Thumper DX are good but they're not high-priority. Shotfuse is amazing, but again not allowed in any organized play. All the grenades are pretty viable and situational, but as I said I'd prioritize the proxies.
Raider- The NJ5 is important, the Grenade Launcher is important. The clusters are pretty bad. The EMP is fine for most situations. The Plasma is fun and good in dueling but the Grenade Launcher is still better for flagstand clearing. The Plasma isn't allowed in organized play, btw. Shield Pack is the one you want 90% of the time, but the Jammer is good in certain situations. (Standoff D when the enemy has a sonic punch INF after you).
Technician- The Rockwind is overhyped, the standard SMG is fine. Thumper is very good, but don't disregard the SMG. I would want motion sensors above all else, makes the lives of INFs and scrambler Raiders hell.
Juggernaut- X1 LMG, and Throwable Discs are needed. MIRV is very good sometimes but not as important as X1 / Discs. Mortar Deluxe is great because of extra range and damage (tho it has a smaller impact radius).
Doombringer- Stock Chaingun is fine. I'd unlock the Mines asap, followed by the Titan Launcher.
Brute - lol I dunno.

Upvote 0
cheers- yeah i read that but presumed it was pre-update cos of what i interpreted as a sarcastic brute comment and the ommission of certain things but i notice it does actually have a few of the newer items.

Here is my take so far on the classes and thoughts on unlocks -

Pathfinder - always gonna be other (better) ones on team and while i'd like to get good i dont play it much and with a couple of obvious perks he seems perfectly fine for his job - in theory that rifle seems good for chasing but i note it's critisism.

Sentinal - agree the falcon for self defense, thou how good is the hip-firing phase rifle at defending yourself in a dual?
Although kills are satifying i dont play Tribes to sit and snipe so if i'm forced to play it i'll stick with what he comes with.

Infiltrator - too many (expensive) options, knives seem strong though would they work better with the default SMG? Sticky nades seems like a keeper - I like this class and might invest in it.

Soldier - I do alright with this class and think it's default weapons give flexibility - so prob wont buy anything except the AP nades. I wouldn't pair the spinfuser with the thumper and with the pistol i'd prob play brute instead.

Raider - I don't do as well with this class as i think i should - i duel better with soldier phaps my energy managment is poor. I agree the GL is a must thou - plus its cheap so along with the pricey NJ5 2nd i think thats the way to go- flashbang is cheap and i doubt i can resist it.
I would like to get good with this class - i am poor with the arx though so a change is needed.

Tech - not that interested, get a lot of kills but only play it when needed, and when i do the current setup is fine. Thumper is good ofc but the default SMG doesnt beg for changing.

Jug - not immediately attracted to this class im stating to learn to lead players with the fusion and fire it on the move.
Taking heed of unlock advice I see it could become very powerful and versitile, working the whole field including HOF with the LMG.(sure you loose shields but they can be a pain in the arse to keep up i find)

Doombringer - Do well with him but only choose him if needed on flag, and if so i wouldn't spend cash on him as he's fine as is ( i do well with the sabre and i like the fact it spots you incoming)
Sure mines are good but i'll see how i go with the jug first like i said.

Brute - love this class, dunno why ( oh yeah - the fractals) - would prob get the devatator as its cheap - but how does this do against turrets compared to the default?
I would like to get the plasma for him (cos i wouldnt for the raider) although the nova seems stong too. A choice of these 2 seems all you really need for him, presuming like me you hate shotguns.
Heavy sheild pack will i imagine turn you into a monster in attack.

Perc wize i might snap up the potential energy first as suggested - good for the 2 heavies and also dualing in general where i'm weak cos of my energy managment.
I wonder how it works in conjuction with the raide/brute's shield packs which kinda do the opposite thing?

Upvote 0
I wonder how it works in conjuction with the raide/brute's shield packs which kinda do the opposite thing?
It works well, but for public play Survivalist is usually better, because there are a lot of ammo drops everywhere.

If you're dueling with a strong player 1v1, then you need every advantage you can get right away, not after the fight is over (presuming that you can even win), so clearly Potential Energy is more useful.

But if you're playing in pubs against an enemy full of players out of which many are easy prey (especially for a RDR), you'll get so many ammo drops that the benefits of Survivalist are too good to give up.

Upvote 0
well i went with pot energy cos of it's cross-class benefits and took advice to push my jug on (against my initial instinct to up the brute, who i'll leave for now) with the disknades.
I should be practicing fast movement really with the lighter classes but the heavies are so enticing with thier weaponary.

I have almost 40k left, and the purchases i have earmarked are-

LMG - attract loads of soldiers, techs and other better dual classes all over me and i need to take them out quicker.
GL, and later nj5 i guess
Throwing knives - it's this or stealth spinfuser as they seem similar. i suspect the knives with the smg (or jackel) are a better combo.
When i get to the brute - Heavy sheild pack, plamsa gun and the dev spinfuser for those blue plates.

I knida wish there were just the 3 classes with appropriate weapons available to each but i guess its part of the money making model.

Upvote 0
Does that mean you need to have installed Tribes through steam?
as far as i gather initially yes, - either somehow link your install to steam or reinstall it using steam - a
the important thing that you buy the pack, then run tribes thou steam and the first account you log into (be it a new or existing account) gets the stuff.
Then you can go back to accessing tribes any way you like.
This is my thinking - check up online first maybe best.

Upvote 0
anyone bought one of the new twinfusers yet from the update?
What do you think?

I'm getting close to 88k and deciding what to buy -

So far i have unlocked (some of which was in the starter pack)-

reach, egocentric, bounty hunter,pot energy, quickdraw safety 3rd, and superheavy as i sometimes HOF with jug.

PTH - rifle and dueling fuser

SLD - spinfuser and the bigger thumper

JUG - Mirv, LMG and disks

These are my classes and all use this twinfuser - Mostly play Jug but wanna try more INf as well. Not bothered about brute for now as my jug can almost do what he does best and a lot more besides.

So it looks like a toss-up between one of the inf weapons, twinfusers or phaps the eagle pistol.

Upvote 0
Every update seems to be making the game more and more silly.

I can't imagine how the "competitive scene" for this game is stying afloat.

Not sure if I can stick with it much longer myself.
Yeah, the comp scene has really never been too happy. All the balance issues and non comp friendly maps aside, there are a lot of features that the comp scene has been asking for since closed beta, yet Hi-Rez has more or less said they won't be adding these anytime soon, if at all.

I'm talking about features like demo recording (which is essential for online tournaments and matches), mod support and custom maps.

Then there's the matter of them adding new weapons and gear all the time, instead of balancing the old stuff. With the last patch they added more skins and voice packs, which is exactly what they should be focusing on, but they also added more new weapons.

The game is still playable at comp level, but it could be a lot better.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
there were quite a few balances with a lot of items that are seen as overpowered like the fractals and jackel, the chaingun and the changes to impulse (which was the one thing i wasnt that happy with - i think the nitron should impart more impulse for it's damage)

as to training mode, i don't find it gives that good an indication as to how effective a weapon would be against live skilled opponents.

Upvote 0
you guys still playing this?

I'm at a stage where i've got XP cash but cant see what to do with it.

I play inf with SS and knives - i wont buy a jackal ever and probably wouldnt want to give up stickies, however interesting prism mines are for def.

Path is more or less all set as i have the LAR, wont wanna swap duelling spin for twin and prob wont chase so i wont get bolt.

Soldier i run mostly def with gast's, upgraded thumper and prox - might possibly get the utility pack as the extra prox would be nice - but not sure i'd want to lose the energy. Could get eagle pistol to use the spin more but this loadout appears a lot weaker than my one for all circumstances.

Jug is fine but might be the class to try the twinfuser with - to make him more of a brute style attacker. He's already my prefered Hof - so his versitility kinda rules out both those classes a bit.

dunno what else to upgrade as not interested in sen, tch or raider in particular - dunno how hirez are gonna make money if players are like me - i got 800 gold and 70k XP i dont wanna spend that bad cos i dont need weapons and the voices and skins seem poor.
I might just wait till new weapons are announced.

Upvote 0
I don't get what the issue is. If you have everything that you want unlocked, then great! Play the game for the sake of playing the game, not because you want to earn more exp to unlock stuff.

There are plenty of people still buying exp and booster packs, there's also quite a bit of interest in skins and voice packs. Or, as you yourself suggested, many just save up and wait for new weapons.

PS! Definitely get the Utility Pack for SLD. It gives 20 energy (which is just 15 less than a fully upgraded Energy Pack) and you also get an extra nade and +100 health.

Upvote 0
I don't get what the issue is. If you have everything that you want unlocked, then great! Play the game for the sake of playing the game, not because you want to earn more exp to unlock stuff.

Hear, hear! I say, I really like this game, it's fun — as long as I don't binge play it, as it kills the fun and brings out the grind. Small doses once every while and it's a blast: I'm at the stage where the unlocks can be gracefully kept in the distant background (although there is still a lot of stuff I want to get, and I do have the gold, but I'm waiting for good 60%+ deals).

Upvote 0