• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

[Game] ArmA 3, for real

The game - sorry - the alpha - seems to be totally awesome. I can run arma 2 on very high settings in Chernarus with 133-150 3D resolution (but it all depends on how many units there is) so this seems great. If I really want to push arma 3 then I can just upgrade some parts in my PC! :D

I'm not going to buy Alpha though. I don't buy electronic versions of games only physical copies. But that is alright. Im going to try to avoid looking at to much gameplay... so the full experience becomes even more epic.

Also,

Also, if anyone of you is a member on BIS forums, please make a positive reply in my thread:

[url]http://forums.bistudio.com/showthread.php?144967-Official-statement-regarding-accessibility/page4[/URL]

The problem with the beta is that it is completely open for everyone. Another problem is that some people doesn't understand that this is a problem. Because this means that dangerous people from the outside will slip through. This is in my opinion a direct threat against the game itself. I trust BIS. A lot. More than any other gaming company. I am aware that they will ignore many diluter's disgusting demands - but nothing can be compromised - nothing at all.

The original formula must remain intact. This means that it isn't a question of meeting even 0.1/000 of these diluters demands - it is a question of not listening to them at all, unless their suggestions goes in line the the ArmA formula.

Maybe I am extraggerating, since BIS have been true to their roots for over a decade, but it is important to make heads rolling before they dissapear into the sunset. As a community we can take a stand against these kind of people and that has to happen now. The important thing is that people read it and become AWARE of it. Arma community is great with keeping this people on the hook, but since DayZ, which took over arma 2 MP and brought cheaters, hackers, but worst of all -diluters to the game, I think it is important to be expect things to happen.

Upvote 0
Am I missing something here? What does Codemasters has to do with Arma 3?

To make a long story short:

They have nothing to do with ARMA III, but they have something to do with the ARMA franchise. They were the publisher for the first Arma game back in 2001 - but that game was called Operation Flashpoint: Cold War Crisis. BIS and CM then broke up and BIS started to work on Arma: Combat Operations. Because Codemasters owned the name OFP and BIS owned the engine and the code for the game. Codemasters created their own simulator with their EGO-engine (their racing games is run on that engine) and called the game Operation Flashpoint: Dragon Rising.

They claimed that Dragon Rising was a sequel to CWC, and that it was ''bigger and better than ever before'', complete with what I call a clear case of false marketing similar to the story with WarZ. Their game sold 1.2 million units. Metascore 4.8. 1.2 million units wasn't enough, even though Rod Cousens claimed that they if they sold roughly 1 million units business was good, so they made the game more accessible and added all the tiresome features of generic FPS games. Including no modding tools or mission editor. Creative Director Sion Lenton stated that "They thought it was something different but felt that it was really hard, that it was slightly obscure and difficult. 10% of people didn't think it was hard enough. Out of every million sales, the people that I want to get the game right for is that 90%."

The game struggled to sell 300,000 copies. Their studio was closed down. 66 employes lost their jobs. They dropped all support. Official site for dragon rising was removed with no warning - all user-made content gone. Not many people was left on the board though, only Codemasters Yes-men, since all other either abandoned the board by free will, was shadowbanned, or permanently banned. But as soon as Red River failed all Yes-men dissapeared into the thin air never to return or be heard off. In October, 2012, BIS made a quite long official message, concerning the fact that they had decided to release their game again under the name: Arma: Cold war assault so that it never again cold be linked to Codemasters or their games. I guess it also was to point out that the arma/CWC vets crusade against CM should be over.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I am completely and utterly surprised by this release.
I have also been playing since OFP and this is the first time that a BIS "game" works outadabox, I am impressed !

I started a server and invited some friends to join, using one and then the second of the in-game MP missions.
They ran perfectly well, at the same time I was running Fraps , three skype groups + a skype phone group and the game kept a steady 30 fps.

Hats of to BIS even though this is an Alpha build (or a paid for Demo that will grow into a fully fledged game) the future is looking bright.
@ Cyper, I really do not understand what point you are trying to make over at the BIS Forums, or here for that matter !

Everybody pretty much with out exception that has posted in this Topic is well aware of the ArmA story with all of its ups & downs, all three of the previous games made by BIS were unplayable at time of release and remained so for a good while.

Now if you think that BIS are going in the wrong direction by releasing a very playable Alpha release, perhaps you should buy a digital copy and see for yourself.
As I said before, I do not understand where your "argument" comes from, certainly not from the BIS devs.

Now I can see where you have a problem with the influx of new players that came with the release of the DayZ mod but keep in mind that it takes one "script kiddie" to ruin the game for the other 39 players on a full server.
The 39 players will continue to play, while the hacker will be banned.
If you think that DayZ has dumbed down ArmAII in anyway you are wrong, in fact I will go as far to say that the oposite is true.
These young players have met for the first time a game that demands a certain concentration and dedication to survive in the ArmA world.
Don't worry about accesabilty in this case, it's a good thing.

Good luck with your fight.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Just remember that Stratis 'only' is 20km2 while Altis/Lemnos is 270km2.
This will probably affect performance quite a lot im afriad.

Can't wait for arma III to be released. When/If there is WW2 mods released,
I have been thinking about making a campaign as a tribute for RO OST. I had plans to do it for Ironfront but due to the fact that I couldn't get my hands on a physical copy I never did it.

Upvote 0
I bought this game. I still get the full game when it's done, right?

Currently only has couple of singleplayer missions, which was kinda disappointing because that's the way I want to play it :eek:. I wish the movement speed was slower when you are aiming your gun, now it feels really strange like I'm not really controlling my guy the way I want.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I bought this game. I still get the full game when it's done, right?

You will get the full game on release (as well as access to the beta at some point).

I wish the movement speed was slower when you are aiming your gun, now it feels really strange like I'm not really controlling my guy the way I want.

That's the tactical pace, you can also WALK, you just have to set a button up for it.

Upvote 0