• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

[Game] ArmA 3, for real

Why? You're not one of those people who hate Steam with no real argument for doing so are you?

nope i've been using steam consistantly for getting on for 9 years now.

In the case of this game the benefits of steam will be irelevant leaving just the downsides, and besides the traditionalist in me wants the last PC game series worth a toss to remain with at least the option of remaining independant and self contained.

Upvote 0
I think it will work out with Steam, I know BIS & Steam have been working hard together for a good while.
I am one of the chosen that already have the other major BIS title being released this year and so far I can say that the system is working well, so I have no fears for an ArmA 3 Steam only release as far as content updates
and beta's are concerned.

This will also mean the end of staggered release dates depending on region.
I have a German copy of ArmAII (language bound) that I bought before the

Upvote 0
I don't get what the fuss is with Steam honestly.

I actually WISH I didn't have the disc version of ARMA 2 because updating it is ****ing HELL.

>OK download this patch and apply this one
>Now install this update
>Now you can install this addon
>Now get this patch to let you patch to another patch
>And do it yet again
>OK, now you can play. What, it's taken 5 hours to do all this and now you have to do something else? OK.

Upvote 0
I don't get what the fuss is with Steam honestly.

I actually WISH I didn't have the disc version of ARMA 2 because updating it is ****ing HELL.

Seriously this. I hate my ArmA 2 DVD version with passion and came close to buying another copy on Steam several times. It literally takes half an our before I can get my installation going.

Upvote 0
I am not happy about Steam as there is an extra program running in the background. For most games I don't care, though ArmA 3 will be very demanding. Auto updating can be bad for mod compatibility, though it looks like my concerns about making various shortcuts and versions are not an issue.

In which case, I will be happy to not deal with multiple patches.

Upvote 0
It's not like Bohemia makes incredibly frequent base patches. Unless you opt into their beta patching you should be fine on that like you would be any other steam game.

And most importantly, if steam at 25,000kb memory is "demanding" by any means, you're not ready to run ARMA 3 in the first place.

You're the one commenting on the RAM usage. ;) I am worried about the CPU usage. I would prefer to dump Steam to get an extra frame rate or two. :p Steam isn't exactly light, it takes far longer to load than Origin/Live Messnger/MSE ect.

I do hope they learned how to make this title run decently, but I have doubt they did. Hence why less programs = better. I also like my PC clean and only run a few programs in the background. Steam goes off when not in use.

We'll see how it pans out though. The only game I've used on Steam with lots of modding has been Half Life 2. If ArmA 3's overall experience in regards to mod support is easy then there is not much of an issue.

Upvote 0
You're the one commenting on the RAM usage. ;) I am worried about the CPU usage. I would prefer to dump Steam to get an extra frame rate or two. :p Steam isn't exactly light, it takes far longer to load than Origin/Live Messnger/MSE ect.

I do hope they learned how to make this title run decently, but I have doubt they did. Hence why less programs = better. I also like my PC clean and only run a few programs in the background. Steam goes off when not in use.

We'll see how it pans out though. The only game I've used on Steam with lots of modding has been Half Life 2. If ArmA 3's overall experience in regards to mod support is easy then there is not much of an issue.

Funny, I have an old i7 920 at 3.3GHz and in the background with a large browser and bunch of other background stuff I still don't idle at higher than 3% CPU. So really, you're still talking absolute nonsense.

Which I really have come to expect from the people that hate Steam for the sake of hating Steam.

Again, if any single process other than another game causes any issues with a game, your game isn't going to run ARMA 3 to begin with.

Upvote 0
Funny, I have an old i7 920 at 3.3GHz and in the background with a large browser and bunch of other background stuff I still don't idle at higher than 3% CPU. So really, you're still talking absolute nonsense.

Which I really have come to expect from the people that hate Steam for the sake of hating Steam.

Again, if any single process other than another game causes any issues with a game, your game isn't going to run ARMA 3 to begin with.

In a CPU demanding game like ArmA, everything counts. I am sure I can run it with Origin/Steam/Uplay/Skype/Firefox/3 IM programs/whatever running in the background, but with a performance hit. When you're getting ~20-40 frame rates with random drops here and there, I'll gladly take the extra frame rate.

Though as mentioned, my biggest concern is how mods will be handled. Steam has some nice features, but they frequently do not work (like how the Inventory system goes offline for days at a time) so that might be a problem with multiple shortcuts/mods. Most people seem to indicate it won't be a problem, so I am honestly not too concerned.

And I don't think anyone here hates Steam. I've been using it for 8 or so years. For some games it is great, for some it isn't.

Upvote 0
In a CPU demanding game like ArmA, everything counts. I am sure I can run it with Origin/Steam/Uplay/Skype/Firefox/3 IM programs/whatever running in the background, but with a performance hit. When you're getting ~20-40 frame rates with random drops here and there, I'll gladly take the extra frame rate.

Though as mentioned, my biggest concern is how mods will be handled. Steam has some nice features, but they frequently do not work (like how the Inventory system goes offline for days at a time) so that might be a problem with multiple shortcuts/mods. Most people seem to indicate it won't be a problem, so I am honestly not too concerned.

And I don't think anyone here hates Steam. I've been using it for 8 or so years. For some games it is great, for some it isn't.

Again, ARMA isn't that intensive to require the extra 1 or 2% of RAM OR CPU. I managed to crank out 60 frames before I even upgraded my rig, and I do so now effortlessly even with all my programs in the background. So please, quit speaking absolute nonsense.

As for mods, I don't see how inventory has anything to do with Workshop or self installed mods. Workshop is just a hub to get the mods from like any other, with some restrictions. As most ARMA mods are actually rather large in size, you probably won't even use the bulk of them from the Workshop in the first place. So really, no changes.

Upvote 0
Again, ARMA isn't that intensive to require the extra 1 or 2% of RAM OR CPU. I managed to crank out 60 frames before I even upgraded my rig, and I do so now effortlessly even with all my programs in the background. So please, quit speaking absolute nonsense.

As for mods, I don't see how inventory has anything to do with Workshop or self installed mods. Workshop is just a hub to get the mods from like any other, with some restrictions. As most ARMA mods are actually rather large in size, you probably won't even use the bulk of them from the Workshop in the first place. So really, no changes.

It looks like you missed all the points and have the worlds fastest 920 known to man. :p

Maybe you're too much of a fanboy of Steam to realize that many of its features, aside from launching games, the friends list and downloading patches (even when auto update is disabled) just do not work all the time. If you actually read the post you would see my main concern is with setting up multiple mod installs, not downloading mods from Steam. Considering plenty of Steam's features frequently go offline and fail to work (the Inventory, Trading, Steam Store, disabling of auto updates, CD keys, the game save cloud storage ect.) I do not have confidence that multiple shortcuts/installs will frequently launch properly. Even then, my concern is minimal. I think you're too much of a Steam/DRM/whatever fan to realize the program's downsides and can't accept that others prefer certain titles to be played without Steam.

Steam can be nice, but it has plenty of issues that have been around since its various iterations for the past 8 years I've been using it across multiple PCs. It works great for simple games, but I have doubt it will work for ArmA, which tends to require plenty of mods to fix/improve it.

I would also like you see you play a decent sized mission on Cherrusia (spelling) with a stable 60 frame rates. I can get up to 100 frame rates in certain areas, and go down to 20-25 in others. If you can get a constant 60 without an OCed 2500/2600K I would love to see that.

Last edited:
Upvote 0