• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

[Game] ArmA 3, for real

Looks exactly like ArmA 2 aside from weapon animations. Check 6:20. The player's weapon will point up 3-5 inches and shift the view point a huge amount when you get up close to an object. This was a huge issue in ArmA 2 that made close quarters combat a pain. It looks like it is still present in ArmA 2.

The overall moving around objects and aiming still seems abnormally clunky. I don't see why they can not making the moving and aiming characteristics like RO1 with the weapon collision of RO2. From a realism standpoint they were great (speed and free aim aside from when shouldered) yet moving around in buildings and aiming was not hard.

Leaning still looks odd as it instantly snaps in/out and is not smooth. Since I don't do leaning/shooting at the same time someone who has military training will have to comment on this, but isn't the CoD 4 style of leaning more realistic than this? I am talking about the first person view, not the world models/animations which look good for the leaning.

Same old 2D scopes which look awful, kill performance, and are disorienting IMO. At least they could have made GRAW/Crysis style scopes. I realize some scopes require you to close one eye, though something like an ACOG was designed so you don't have to. Insurgency did a good job in this respect. The SVD scope gave you no peripheral vision yet the Aimpoint (which had magnification for some reason) allowed you to see outside of the scope.

I didn't see if the scope to optic transitions were smooth like RO2, but I am going to assume it will be the "instantly switch and appear and your face" which is disorienting and kills frame rates. :(

I didn't see the squad command interface being used much either, so I can't comment on it.

Honestly, the list of improvements looks small and the game looks less impressive as they show more. The only signficant improvements are weapon animations (which looks poor compared to BF3; about on par with Raven Shield) and the external player animations which looks nice. Aside from that it looks like the graphics are improved, though I bet 90% of us won't be able to see them for another 2-3 years until we get GTX790 Ultra Supda-Dupa Clockz GPUs. :p

Upvote 0
cJjIf.jpg

Upvote 0
I had the pleasure of playing a bit of ArmA 3 at the gamescom. You could play the showcases you maybe saw in earlier videos and I played every case beside the chopper showcase because I was too dumb to find it and it was very hot in the hall where the booth was.

At a first look it does not seem like it is too different from ArmA 3 but if you actually play it yourself you notice a few things:

I am quite sure its the basically the same engine as used in ArmA 2 but it seems like a upgraded and modified engine. Especially the lighting now looks much better and animations third person animations look more fluid, especially the ragdolls look better now. I noticed that it seems ArmA 3 is not having free aim anymore. A lot of people will like that and other people will probably hate this while I feel like being a bit in the middle. Your character still has its typical ArmA clunkyness feeling but it is less clunky as in ArmA 3 and the biggest hooray goes out for a inventory system that makes finally sense.

Upvote 0