• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

[Game] The "what are you currently playing?" thread #2

SWAT 4 Gold with SSF 3.2 mod. The AI in this game, while it still has its quirks, is still the best in any tactical shooter I've ever played. And probably the best in any shooter, period. Especially the friendly squad AI.

The game is still extremely fun, the micromanaging is easy and adds plenty of depth to the game and requires some quick thinking and quick actions. Though the game is dated in many ways (how smoke works as an example) it still holds up very well.

Also been playing some of the ArmA 3 beta. Finally my mods starting working. The movement mechanics are great, driving is passable now and the fire mode selector switch is separated from the grenade selection key. But that is where the big improvements end. The squad command menu is still terrible, you still can't move while switching to a sidearm and it still lacks some of the GUI improvements I had wanted in the editor. 3D mode will likely never see the light of day.

I've been trying to get into it but the clumsiness of the editor and the fact that the friendly AI is essentially just a respawn point for when your current character gets killed makes me think I will not be spending very much time in this game unless they make some big improvements in the final version.

Upvote 0
If you haven't played in several versions, buckle up. At first I was slightly worried the game wasn't going to expand horizontally in terms of features, but holy ****. Introversion did not disappoint with these last few updates.

Alpha 11 is where I'd say the prison simulation is functionally complete, where all the conceptual pieces are there and work. Guys come in, they're whole individuals with lives and small back stories and personalities, and they eventually get released. The time compression means their actual stay can be short and that seems a little weird, but you have about 1 to 2 people leaving a day in minimum and medium security, so your prison feels much more alive.

What's really great is it's a simulation akin to Dwarf Fortress, i.e. it's not trying to tell you what to do for the most part. Gameplay is about meeting the needs of the simulation, or not and it reacts organically. Having everything and a full staff and a smart design leads to a well-run, problem-free prison. But if you want to run a gulag or what amounts to a death camp, where people live in filth and never see their families and fight each other for meager scraps of meat and their will is so broken they never fight, you can. If you want to have an intentionally over-crowded prison where riots happen all the time and you lose control of your prison and have to call in the riot squad, and prisoners leave in body bags as much as their own two feet, you can.

Hrm. Maybe now I get why I've gotten weird reactions to enjoying this game so much...

It's even managed to reach that level of story generation where interesting narratives just happen. Like you have a guy convicted of false imprisonment, and he's got his parents, a kid and his ex-wife. And only his parents and children come to see him. (Although some of the crimes vs. the ages are hilarious. Guys will come in with part of the time served, and if you do the math, some of them were committing money laundering and fraud when they were 11...)

Anyways, it's become a fine simulation, the tools are all in place to help you build and manage your prison...and it's just really great to see Introversion back on their feet and excited about a project after the demise of Subversion. And they said they still have a ways to go, like actually setting disciplinary rules for your guards, gangs and breakout attempts.

I almost always play in a sandbox fashion and hack my money and build most of my prison before opening up. So it's pretty easy to get your prison to run like a machine. The game is really tough if you play it as intended, because money is tight. I imagine there's going to be more random chaos injected at some point, so sandbox games aren't quite so calm.

This is what I put together in about a day, with a good template on hand.
Spoiler!

How do I activate it with Steam? I can't find a key, only my forum account data in my inbox
You need to find your original download email. It should take you to your account page that has your Steam key on it.

Mine is titled "Order# XXXXXXXXXX", sent from Introversion Software.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
arma 2 various maps and missions
arma 3 beta - seems to run a bit better than alpha but i wish you had armour to face.
the new xcom
Rome TW again cos a few freinds got it when it was a cheap on steam
And i intend to play swat4 again so i will try that mod flogger is talking about.
I hope this game gets a steam release like R6:3 did so my mates (who only seem to deal with steam nowadays) can join in.
Otherwise i'll be sending a couple of copies in the post i guess.

Upvote 0
Full Scale 201 Prisoner Riot! vs. Riot Guards-Alpha 10 Prison Architect HD - YouTube
sandbox madness, lots of fun. :p
If they fix the terrible lag on high-end rigs I'll do 500 vs 50 all day long :3

Lol! This was awesome bro! I started playing this game, I actually have 3 prisons but I don't understand the point of this game. Or I am doing something wrong. Is this a "survival" game or management game? Because all my 3 prisons ALWAYS get to **** and full riot sooner or later. Its matter of time. And I tried EVERYTHING to prevent it but I started to think that the game is all about to get prepared for the riot which will happen sooner or later and thats it. So this is what pushed me away. I thought it will be more realistic. I mean irl the riots are not ripping every god damn prison in 2-3-4 weeks period.

SWAT 4 Gold with SSF 3.2 mod.

Is this mod adding any new weapons?

Upvote 0
Is this a "survival" game or management game?
management, but you can do whatever you want actually ;P

Because all my 3 prisons ALWAYS get to **** and full riot sooner or later. Its matter of time. And I tried EVERYTHING to prevent it but I started to think that the game is all about to get prepared for the riot which will happen sooner or later and thats it. So this is what pushed me away. I thought it will be more realistic. I mean irl the riots are not ripping every god damn prison in 2-3-4 weeks period.
My best prision worked for over 2.5 months flawless, I stoped using that save since I get terrible lag (5FPS) with ~ 350 prisoners and 2 large maps full with buildings. They really have to work on that a 4.8GHz 8core CPU should be able to handle that - it seems to be a game engine glitch because when I restart and load the prison, I have no lag at all.. but the FPS go down and down the longer i play :/

regarding your problem.. why are they rioting?
The only challenge I have is to get enough cells if I enable random intake, but I mostly don't check that option :p Satisfy their needs and isolate trouble maker and your guys will have a good time - for now :p when they finally add rivaling gangs and stuff like that it'll be a lot harder.
I can't get the "gliding over all" jail scene from bb out of my mind

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Chance are Rattler, you don't have enough facilities to meet all your prisoner's needs. If you hire the Psychologist, he can show you a report that tracks how your prisoner's needs are being met in RT. So you can see, for example, that during Free Time, maybe not enough prisoners are using recreation facilities. Or that even after meal time, some prisoners are going unfed.

Upvote 0
I think one of my problems is that the distances are too big. You see, some times there are group of prisoners that walk so long to the yard or to the main hall (or whatever the place where they eat is called) that when they arrive and they already have to go back to their cells : D

Yeah, that's why I try to centrally locate the Canteen and Common Room. Each cell block gets their own yard and showers, which cuts down on the amount of prisoners who missed fulfilling their needs. (Contact with family tends to be a trigger point with most prisoners.) Teens and young adults tend to get VERY cranky if they don't get a shower once a day.

Upvote 0
Taking a break from RO2/RS until Classic servers fill up and the new Classic changes are implemented.

I started to come back to Natural Selection 2 with the performance improvements after sitting in my library for 6 months, and it's good fun.

Also picked up Chivalry during last weekend's sale and also enjoying it a lot, although it's tough. I'm excited to see new custom content such as the Samurai mod and custom maps.

Upvote 0