• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

[Game] The "what are you currently playing?" thread #2

My PSU exploded while playing the Witcher 2. A cousin gave me a replacement while I buy a new one, but now I'm scare dto play it again.

Finished Sleeping Dogs a few days ago, and now I'm playing the first Darksiders

I knew the game was demanding but didn't know it would make your PSU explode! :eek: What brand was it?

I just finished Bioshock Infinite. It certainly does get better at the end. Story is better than most games, and I do like the art direction. There are a few small bugs, like your character getting stuck on objects. The auto saves are infrequent so you might have to replay 10-15 minutes if you get stuck. Luckily I got free all but one time and that only required roughly 5 minutes of replaying.

Overall the game was rather stable though, with not many bugs.

Gameplay was solid, though most of the weapons felt too weak for me. This is probably a personal preference. Length was about 12 hours. I tried to take my time, looking through every corner and looking through every telescope and whatnot.

I would also like to mention that the "medium" difficultly is rather easy. I only died about 4 times in the entire game. Perhaps turning up the difficultly will make it last longer.

Upvote 0
I knew the game was demanding but didn't know it would make your PSU explode! :eek: What brand was it?

It was a Thermaltake Toughpower 700w, with a GTX660. I was playing The Witcher 2 for several hours and heard a loud 'clap', then my pc turned off. Restarded the system and everything seemed normal, opened a browser window and the mouse went crazy. It turned off again.

The next day it worked normally for hours (using internet only), until I decided to launch the game again to test it, it died in the main menu.

Now I'm using a 550w Thermaltake Purepower, and it seems ...fragile :(

I'm trying to avoid really intensive games at the moment

My currently installed games:

Spoiler!

Last edited:
Upvote 0
It was a Thermaltake Toughpower 700w, with a GTX660. I was playing The Witcher 2 for several hours and heard a loud 'clap', then my pc turned off. Restarded the system and everything seemed normal, opened a browser window and the mouse went crazy. It turned off again.

The next day it worked normally for hours (using internet only), until I decided to launch the game again to test it, it died in the main menu.

Now I'm using a 550w Thermaltake Purepower, and it seems ...fragile :(

I'm trying to avoid really intensive games at the moment

My currently installed games:

Spoiler!

Look into an Antec, Seasonic, or Corsair. Those seem to be the best in terms of quality.

Upvote 0
Just beat DooM 3 again for old times' sake. It was ridiculously easy, I should have played on a harder setting. I certainly don't remember effortlessly running through most levels like it was a speed run. Must be the framerate; last time I beat it the graphics were cutting edge and I was getting 30-40fps. Sadly I lost my Resurrection of Evil disc... it had better gameplay (and a side-by-side shotgun).

Just started Afraid of Monsters (again) yesterday. Great horror mod, Team Psyskallar is really good at this. Unfortunately I'm a bit stuck as I managed to survive for a good while by avoiding as much combat as possible - but I only have 5HP and I have to fight one of those invisible monsters that flash the spooky face sprite at you. Even if I turn around there are a lot of regular zombies at the bottom of the ladder I just climbed, so I'm going to have to keep quickloading till luck lets me kill the monster.

Upvote 0
I only died about 4 times in the entire game. Perhaps turning up the difficultly will make it last longer.

My Steam says 17 hours on Bioshock Infinite, and that was beating it on hard. The hours really came from really pouring over every area, trying to find goodies.

Hard difficulty makes combats more intense. Your shield is a lot less dependable, against bosses it won't even absorb the full brunt of one of their attacks. The rest, however, remains largely the same. Money isn't any scarcer. And anything you run out of you, can just run up to the Dollar Bill to refill on....including right in the middle of combat.

I read some non-spoilery reviews and they recommended to start with hard, since Medium basically seems like Beginner and Easy is 100% Tourist Mode.

Upvote 0
Speaking of Bioshock Infinite, since I would rather avoid spoiling anything specific (and so far have done pretty good job) since I'm kind of interested, somehow I've gathered such impression it suffers quite a bit from gameplay and story segreration\bit negative case of so-called interactive movie.

So how much there is hyperbole in those statements and if it has some basis, how bad is it? Difficult to make sense out of typical Internet nerdrage without getting spoiled to the arse.

Upvote 0
Speaking of Bioshock Infinite, since I would rather avoid spoiling anything specific (and so far have done pretty good job) since I'm kind of interested, somehow I've gathered such impression it suffers quite a bit from gameplay and story segreration\bit negative case of so-called interactive movie.

So how much there is hyperbole in those statements and if it has some basis, how bad is it? Difficult to make sense out of typical Internet nerdrage without getting spoiled to the arse.

The few times I died it was obvious that the enemies, items, ect. were entirely scripted in spawn numbers and location. But for the most part, it is not an interactive movie. You can actually move freely between certain sub-parts of maps. When it comes to exploring you can go in any order. However, the areas to explore are not that big. Often times I entered an area only to have to re-enter it again to complete an objective. So you can prioritize things yourself slightly.

Switching between chapters typically involves cut scenes, sometimes with some interaction. Pulling levers and pushing elevator buttons are animation, and occasionally there are "push E to do this" sequences but they are honestly not that common. It clearly isn't an open world shooter like STALKER, yet it isn't a linear game like CoD.

The gameplay itself is solid, but IMO is just average. Enemies are rather stupid when it comes to detecting the player. You can get rather close and they still won't see you, or you can clear out a room, go to another room, come back, and more enemies will be walking amongst their fallen friends that you just killed and act like everything is normal.

The story is rather nice, as is the setting, the city, the music, and the overall atmosphere is nicely done. It picks up in the end and is certainly better than your typical shooter. I would recommend buying it. I have an extra copy I am looking to sell so PM if interested.

I finished Crysis 3 today as well. It was the shortest of all the games (excluding Warhead), but it was solid. Some of the missions gave larger spaces than Crysis 2, but the overall gameplay was much more similar to Crysis 2 rather than 1. The story was better than Crysis 2 and connected more with Crysis 1, but it was nothing special. Overall gameplay was solid but IMO still not as good as 1/Warhead.

Graphically it looked great, and ran decently. It is significantly more demanding than Crysis 2. I got as low as 20 frame rates in grassy areas, to 33-35 in out door areas, to 40-50 indoors. I believe my AMD 965 is holding my GTX 670 PE back. All settings maxed out, 1x AF and FXAA.

Upvote 0
I'd agree with what most of Flogger32m said. Gameplay is average. Not terrible, not amazing. It's about on par with previous Bioshock games, although I think it handles a little tighter. If you liked those, Infinite will treat you well.

That said, almost all of the new features are under-utilized, especially Sky Lines. But Tears too. They're gimmicks, but they're not used often enough or interestingly enough.

It picks up in the end and is certainly better than your typical shooter.
See, for me the best part of the game was the first half. Pacing was good, there's variety, things to see and do....and you don't really know what's going on. You're a stranger in a strange land, and it's awesome.

After the mid-game, I felt like game play (and the story) goes on rails. Areas get more linear. There's less to find and honestly, there's nothing worth finding at that point.

I really enjoyed the whole package up until 75% completion. After that, I was basically playing through for the story, because gameplay pretty much completely checked out.

Infinite left me wishing it wasn't a linear rails shooter and they'd done an open world, ala TES games. When games leave me thinking more about the game it could have been instead of the game it is....it's hard for me to give it top marks.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Dishonored - The Knife of Dunwall.

Like the base game, it is a rather fun game. Very similar. Sadly by the time I get used to all of the mechanics again I was done with the first mission. And there were only two full missions while the third one was not that long. It took me about 5 hours to complete it.

But as I said, the gameplay is still intact and I had no bugs. :) If you liked Dishonored you will like this.

Upvote 0