• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

[Game] The "what are you currently playing?" thread #2

Picked up FTL for 4 bucks off GOG. Enjoyed it for a couple of days but now the dice rollieness of it is just boring me. One game I had lucked out and was able to build a monster ship early on, so what does the game do.. puts me in an ion storm and then makes me miss eleven (yes, eleven, no exaggeration) times in a row and I get destroyed by a weakling little first sector quality pirate. Dice rolls and luck are only fun for so long. There's a big difference between 'hard' games and ones that just decide to end your game at a whim without any possible thing you can do, or could have done, to stop it from happening.

Upvote 0
Picked up FTL for 4 bucks off GOG. Enjoyed it for a couple of days but now the dice rollieness of it is just boring me. One game I had lucked out and was able to build a monster ship early on, so what does the game do.. puts me in an ion storm and then makes me miss eleven (yes, eleven, no exaggeration) times in a row and I get destroyed by a weakling little first sector quality pirate. Dice rolls and luck are only fun for so long. There's a big difference between 'hard' games and ones that just decide to end your game at a whim without any possible thing you can do, or could have done, to stop it from happening.

Same effect on me, I played for a few days and I got bored of the dice rolls. Though I must admit the whole "randomness" of the makes the game a bit like gambling. When you lose, you curse your luck and try again while when you're lucky and doing good, you get lots of satisfaction. You're always on the lookout for the "perfect game".

Upvote 0
Replaying RE5 co-op with a friend since GFWL was kind enough to forget his saved data and the fact he had Mercenaries unlocked. I'd forgotten how truly ****ing awful some of the boss fights in RE5 are. We must have replayed the last boss battle probably 20 times until my friend realized you didn't just need to hit the button some to keep Shiva from falling, you need to hit it A LOT.

Also been getting into Witcher 2. I can't decide, right now, whether it's the better game or not. Combat is way harder and you have to be much more careful...but somehow I don't know if it's an improvement. Still in Chapter 1, just about finished and I can't help but feel like I've got less to do/less to check out than in Witcher 1.

Upvote 0
Waiting for Daggerfall to be ported over to the XLEngine, then I'll be starting a play through of DaggerfallXL as it is called. This is the start of my eventual chronological successive play through of the entire Elder Scrolls series (Skipped Arena because I just can't go back to its controls).

While waiting, I hope to finish Fallout 2. Pretty early in the game though, in The Den right now. Trying to watch my inventory from all these damn pick-pocketing kids.

Upvote 0
Picked up Achtung Panzer Operation Star. I was late on this one because the first game crashed to desktop every 30 seconds (demo at least, I never bought the real thing because of that problem).

No such issues with this game though. It's truly a fantastic wargame. There are many aspects I don't understand yet (such as how the telephone comms work between units), because there's basically zero documentation for the game, but I am loving it.

It feels quite different from Combat Mission, though almost the same level of depth I would say. You're not able to be quite as precise as in CM with your orders, but APOS makes up for it with many advantages... one of the biggest being that squads are realistically dispersed in the field... whereas in CM they tend to clump up. The operational level is simplistic but it allows you to dictate the flow of the overall battle which is pretty cool.

The devs also rather than just bugfix seem to have been adding whole new features over the last year. It reminds me of BIS back in the Operation Flashpoint days.

Atmosphere is easily in the top 3 of any game I've ever played. Night battles in a blizzard are truly something to behold.

Will definitely be picking up all the DLC for this game.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Waiting for Daggerfall to be ported over to the XLEngine, then I'll be starting a play through of DaggerfallXL as it is called. This is the start of my eventual chronological successive play through of the entire Elder Scrolls series (Skipped Arena because I just can't go back to its controls).

While waiting, I hope to finish Fallout 2. Pretty early in the game though, in The Den right now. Trying to watch my inventory from all these damn pick-pocketing kids.

Good to see someone else waiting for that. Been playing Daggerfall for the better part of two decades, so naturally I'm anxious to see what XL can do for my experience.

Upvote 0
Recently started Empire : Total War game with Empire Realism mod. Although I do need to look for something to spice up smoke and audio as the mod is chiefly about gameplay changes and very small visual alterations, it's probably the best mod you can find for ~50mb download size, and the gameplay is solid gold even when accounting ETW's lackluster AI.

Upvote 0
Let's see. Crushed BS:I the weekend before last. I don't regret paying full price for it, SP FPS with not much replayability that it is.

Went back and beat Darksiders, finally. I didn't give the game enough time the first time I played. The last bit of the game was kind of a slog, but the first and middle parts were pretty fun.

Currently playing Darksiders 2 and am surprised how much of an open world it is....and how many MMO/Diablo conventions they slapped on. If the first game was Zelda + God of War, Darksiders 2 is more God of War + Diablo. Sadly, I bought the DLC armor pack and the game went from "challenging and engaging" to "smear enemies into red paste while you watch your health bar twitch but never drop." Debating taking off the Angel of Death armor and using the Shadow of Death armor, simply so the game is more difficult and new drops are actually appealing to wear.

Still playing Path of Exile about once a week, have some characters into Act 3 Cruel now. The game continues to keep me hooked due to the skill tree, and the fact they still seem to be making new content with almost every patch.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
BF3 is about all I've had time for as of late. Played a bit of RO2. I want to find some time to play a new game sometime soon. I have some old titles that I never played:

Supreme Commander 1/Forged Alliance
GTA 4
Men of War
Bioshock

RTS is not my thing (aside from HW2). But maybe I will try them...

Fallout New Vegas has a bug where none of my controls work. It was the first time I loaded it up in months. I'll fix it eventually as I have one DLC left.

Upvote 0
Bioshock Infinite. Maybe halfway through it. I get 60 frame rates with random stutters which is annoying, but not game breaking.

Overall I am enjoying the game. Nothing mind blowing so far, but it is a nice game. Hopefully it gets even better as the end nears.

The graphics look rather nice for UE3, though the engine is starting to show its age. In particular, faces of characters look rather undetailed.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Manned up finally and threw myself at Dark Souls again this last weekend. The gameplay trailer for the sequel got me motivated. I cleared a bunch of stuff, Blight Town, Sen's Fortress, half of Anor Londo. Currently fighting Ceaseless Discharge, and need 4 or 5 unbroken hours so I can get into my groove. I was kind of dreading the back half of the game but honestly this is the most upbeat I have ever felt about finishing the game. Throwing yourself at stuff you're not supposed to be fighting yet tends to make the stuff you're supposed to doing seem a lot more reasonable.

Then again, I haven't yet reached Assface & Dickwad yet.

Last edited:
Upvote 0