• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

[Game] The "what are you currently playing?" thread #2

bit of swat - particularly coop - bit of silent hunter 3.

enjoying SH3 too much to install sh4 - playing on about 60% practicing collecting torpedo target data.
Even the old man plays a bit - (he loved a sub game called 'hunter killer' on the zx spectrum, so he loves this), might team up with him multiplayer if he gets into it.

Reactions: PNV
Upvote 0
Been playing through Saint's Row 2. It's basically San Andreas with nicer graphics and less frustration - aside from a few missions where you have to fight large groups of enemies with specific vehicles and equipment, I can't imagine how this game could annoy you. You keep everything when you die, your stored cars always come back if they get destroyed, everything is very streamlined. The character customization is very deep and fun to experiment with as well (if only they had awesome customization like this in a multiplayer game that was actually good (Metal Gear Online is disqualified on that point)).

On the other hand it has some performance issues on the PC; regardless of how powerful your system is you are going to get stutter if you drive faster than the environment can load, and if you have any USB input devices that look like a gamepad to the game you'll have to disable them to use the mouse/keyboard or even the menu is unplayable. It's a bad port but far from the worst I've ever seen. At least Volition did well porting Red Faction Guerrilla.

Upvote 0
Been playing a lot of Aperture, it's a great map. Seemed really hard at first, but once you learn the layout fully it's one of the easiest official maps to kite on. The grenade launchers lying around are super convenient. I just wonder if the relationship between Horzine and Aperture Science is considered canon in either universe, because now I totally want to see the Patriarch with a portal gun fighting the Combine. :p

Also got the 2D shooter Hard Corps Uprising on PSN a couple days ago. I've only gotten through level 3 so far, since I never use continues in 2D shooters. Totally satisfied with it - seems like all the $15 and $20 "budget" games I buy these days really hit the mark and deliver exactly what I expect, while every time I drop $60 I spend a minute fraction of the playtime on the title and never even give the insultingly overpriced DLC a second look.

Anyways, this is an incredibly fast paced and refreshingly difficult shooter with relatively technical controls. You have more to worry about and in a shorter time frame than in Metal Slug, but it never feels overwhelming because you also have more moves at your disposal and Rising mode allows you to upgrade each character as necessary. More importantly, the high difficulty is never cheap or excessive like in a lot of other 2D shooters (particularly those designed to steal your coins in arcades). The only shortcomings are the sound work - everything sounds fairly horrible except the music - and the low detail of the 3D backgrounds in some of the levels stands out next to the beautifully animated 2D sprites.

YouTube - Hard Corps: Uprising S-Rank - Level 2

Upvote 0
Beat the crap out of Uprising. I love this game, I can tell it's in the same class as KF - I'll never stop coming back to it, no matter how repetitive it is. Seriously, I have worn out my L2 trigger just from playing this game. I need a new controller now.

The only problems I've found are a weird spawn system (if you fall in water in the wrong place you'll lose another 3 or so lives spawning in it some more), and the fact that it's possible to kill your partner in co-op by going to fast and causing them to "fall" off the bottom of the screen since you share the screen. Understandable in local multiplayer, but it really shouldn't happen in online games, especially since it's so easy for people of different skill levels to kill each other.

And of course, the voice acting is some of the worst I've ever heard. It's not even funny bad, just bad, and you can't even ignore it because a couple of the bosses won't shut up.

Last edited:
Upvote 0