• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Combat Mission series!

The long awaited CMx2 Ostfront game has finally been announced! Along with many other changes, two huge whoppers:

-TCP-IP wego capability (no replay alas but still --- no more having to play games with humans in small 15 minute segments)
-AI triggers

Also flamethrowers added and more...

I haven't always agreed with the direction BFC has taken its series but they get a big kudos from me for finally adding those two big features, especially the tcp-ip wego.

more info:

http://www.battlefront.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=blogcategory&id=330&Itemid=567

Upvote 0
Sounds interesting but I am not holding my breath. My annoying inner-cynical-bastard imagines it will still ship without melee and cases where your squads will use Panzerfausts on wounded soldiers right beneath them only for your own squad to die in the explosion and other bizarre leaps of logic more common than they really should be.

Upvote 0
Well wargames afaik have always had steeper prices, that don't drop at anywhere near the rate of other titles.

I'm guessing there just isn't a big enough market for the genre, or that is the perception at least. BFC have some bizzare fear of steam from what I've seen. Personally I think it could boost their sales to an enormous degree. Even if the genre is niche, they would bag plenty of sales off of just "looks mildly interesting" folks. But it's not my company on the line so my assumptions could be wrong.

1C wargames seem to be an exception (thinking of the Graviteam games)---it would be interesting to compare sales figures and see who is more profitable.

BFC benefit from having basically zero competition, so at this point they can do whatever they want. And frankly, as long they continue to improve their engine---albeit slowly---I'll keep paying for it. If they went off the deep end and stripped out multiplayer features and just focused entirely on expanding the available OOB---I wouldn't.

I buy a lot more games than I used to thanks to Steam's constant stream of crazy sales, but I haven't spent a fraction of the time I have on any given steam game that I do on CM or Command Ops series, so I'm willing to pay a premium for it. (huge exceptions being DOTA 2 and ROOST---but the former is free and the latter came out before steam sales went bonkers). If Festung Europa turns out to be a "true" successor to DH/ROOST (I'm not saying RO2 isn't---it's just not what I was looking for personally) I would easily be willing to pay $100 for it---if it's really that good. A shortage of time is more an issue for me than a shortage of money for games. Plus I haven't upgraded my PC in ages because with the exception of the new IL2, ARMA, and Dark Souls series there aren't really any games that I think are worth it.

Obviously, if some big competitor enters the field it will benefit the consumer. But right now, that just isn't a reality. Even the AP series is not really a direct competitor to CM in my view, it plays quite differently, and does not allow the extreme precision (in handing out orders) that CMx1 or CMx2 do. That also means it's much less of a workload to play as well, but I don't find that worth the loss of control, and CMx2 is slowly becoming more user friendly.

BTW, to anyone interested, BFC usually release a game within about 2 months of announcing it---they don't follow most of the industry's pattern in this regard: this should be out by mid March.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Wargame: EE and AB seem to be doing alright on Steam for a niche genre, granted, it's not as complex as CM, but you get the idea. I don't think CM sales are that low because of its difficulty and complexity, but because of the lack of exposure.

If they don't want to put it on sale, nobody forces them to, but being on Steam alone would give them lot of exposure.

Upvote 0
You can always look to A-10C. When Eagle Dynamics put it up on Steam, and put some big sales on it, a much bigger audience bought the game. People that did not know it existed otherwise. And they did not know about the other aircraft that were not on Steam (and now are). I would think if you can extra copies of a game like that due it being on Steam and at a reduced price, you can sell more copies of a game like this.

Upvote 0