• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

KF Killing Floor VR

So apparently TWI announced a new game in the Killing Floor Universe. It will be a Virtual Reality game. There is no dedicated forum section yet and the youtube comments are pretty negative, so I wanted to know what you guys think? Will this be the next Killing Floor: Calamity? Or will it be actually successful?

And in case you don't know what I am talking about here is the press release:

PREPARE TO EXPERIENCE TERROR IN NEW DIMENSIONS AS TRIPWIRE INTERACTIVE ANNOUNCES KILLING FLOOR: INCURSION FOR OCULUS TOUCH

New VR game based on the Multi-Million Unit Selling Horror Franchise in development for Oculus Touch

ROSWELL, GA (June 13, 2016)

Last edited:
The press release says "Players will be able to freely explore the area", but I agree at first I thought it would be a on rails shooter too. I often heard that a first person shooter in VR gives you motion sickness very fast. However I can not really say if that is actually a fact. What I am asking myself then is, when Killing Floor VR is not on rails but free roam just like Killing Floor 2 what will make it different except for the VR support? (Only Occulus seriously?) and why wasn't the VR support just added to regular Killing Floor?

Upvote 0
Apparently Oculus offered developers of VR games money to support the development in exchange for a time exclusive deal. After a certain time period the game can be released on any other VR platform. This was reported for Serious Sam VR.

All the VR headsets work a bit different which means that there is quite a lot of work involved if you want to offer the same game on Oculus and on the HTC Vive. So that is obviously another reason.

Hard to tell what exactly their motivation is at this point.

Upvote 0
Hard to tell what exactly their motivation is at this point.

As in Tripwire or Oculus?

I have a gut feeling that a lot of devs are being paid to actually get VR off the ground. The Oculus has been in development for a long time now and I doubt they would be happy if the platform sinks, their own brand or anyone else's. VR is sort of risky for everyone right now I guess as it is mostly untested and there is going to be a whole lot of wonkyness until people hit on a winning formula or whatnot. Early 3D games show a similar oddity if you go back and look at stuff made in the 1992 - 1997 period.

Considering how much it costs to make games now I guess throwing time and money at an unknown venture is kind of a scary risk and a lot of devs are probably not able to suffer from a potential failure. I guess without Oculus money most people would just say "Nah, wait for someone else to do it before burning ourselves." A lot of folks are saying things like "greedy devs taking Oculus money to lock themselves out of other platforms" without taking into consideration that without the money there would be no VR games flat out possibly.

Sorry for the uneducated rant. Just recently been in a few debates with people regarding VR and a good number of them don't seem to grasp the basics of economics.

Upvote 0
I meant Tripwire's motivation. At the moment we know so little about the project. I personally only have seen the trailer and have read the press release nothing more. So we only can speculate about the actual game and what it is all about.

And I don't mind Tripwire taking money from Oculus, as long as they don't get screwed over (with exclusive deals, losing their independence or what ever could happen) and they have the manpower the push (yet) another project. That is perhaps my greatest fear. KF2 is in Early Access for how long now? And the KF2 community is becoming very impatient and negative to the whole situation (understandable if you ask me). Why not "finish" KF2 first and then start a new project?

And not let's forget about Rising Storm 2 ;)

Upvote 0
Ah, sorry. Too many conspiracy theorists annoying me of late with the subject of VR money.

Gonna have another guess. Like the Vs mode this was maybe one of the things done in their Jam session for ideas? That or someone working on a pet project in their spare time. Oculus prob came to them later and things just fit.

Anyhow, that is me speculating more on crap I'm not informed on. Just prefer to have constructive speculation rather than the "IT IS A GIANT PLOT!" kind of silliness normally spouted.

That said when it comes to VR projects and Tripwire licences, I'd love to see a Red Orchestra type tank sim in VR.

Upvote 0