• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

[Game] What can Tripwire learn from Doom's disaster?

Something most people don't know is that the MP portion of Doom has been outsourced. iD Software are focusing purely on the single player/Snap Map portions of the game. iD make good single player games, for the most part and that's the bit of the game i'll mostly be playing.

I'm sure the multiplayer portion will be fairly solid but throwing oodles of unlocks and the mandatory leveling system really doesn't suit Doom's multiplayer.

Also, i'm not really sure why this relates to TW...??

Upvote 0
It does for the fact that they abandoned their original niche and resorted to cheap level ups, unlocks, xp progression etc rather than focusing on things that for example Squad's devs are doing with their game which is more about serious open map gameplay without silly and unnecessary gimmicky stuff.
In few words trying to fit into this "modern AAA titles" group instead of sticking to the same style of play and just improve the mechanics and graphics.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Keystone said:
In few words trying to fit into this "modern AAA titles" group instead of sticking to the same style of play and just improve the mechanics and graphics.

By your logic Doom 3 should have been a triumph.

It was merely ok.

I'm not saying Doom 4 is doing the right thing by throwing pretty much every bog-standard RPG-lite FPS mechanic into their game. The executions are by far the worst offender in that department IMO.

But I disagree that people in the sequel business should only just stick to the core of what they know how to do. Often their enhancements aren't enough to live up to the hype. (i.e Doom 3's high fidelity lighting system and the stupid low-tech flashlight.)

Upvote 0
I think the transition to a character level system and unlocks in MP was inevitable. While I wouldn't say it was required in order to do well it seems most people who play online FPS' expect that sort of thing to be standard now.

I enjoyed the fast paced action of Quake and UT and I enjoy the level systems and unlockables as well. I watched a few videos of some online play and while it's not really anything groundbreaking it looked like it may be enjoyable for a while. I liked the mode with the moving capture point where you had to stay in the area for points and then capture the nodes along its route.

Upvote 0