• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

[Game] Devil May Cry 4: Special Edition

Huh. I *just* reinstalled this last night to start my Son of Sparda playthrough.

So the SE includes the Legendary Dark Knight mode (which PC already has), plus Virgil and Lady/Trish as playable characters.

Not sure I really care enough to rebuy the game for that when it comes to Steam. Still a great game though. My hands hurt like a bastard after death-gripping the controller for 3 hours playing it.

Upvote 0
Omg, this game.

I can't even comprehend those flawless DMD boss fights on youtube, that aren't cheesing DRI. The AI on Son of Sparda is such bull**** already, you basically have to perfectly time Table Hopper to avoid getting slapped around by Dante, who will dodge/counter faster than you can react. Fail to pull off table hopper, it turns into a roll, which is about 2x as long as Dante needs to start kicking the **** out of you. I died so many times it was visible when the game tuned down the AI so I could win.

I'm not sure I even want to try to finish SoS, let alone higher difficulties. I remember the final boss fight in Demon Hunter took me.....like 45 minutes or longer to beat. When I looked up the fight on Youtube, it came down to that one finishing attack where the only thing you can do to survive is both super specific and has hair trigger timing. I lost the fight dozens of times just to that alone on DH. If it's going to be even worse in SoS, it might be more fun to just punch myself in the nuts for an hour instead.

Upvote 0
It really boils down to knowing boss patterns etc well enough to anticipate them or read them on the fly the moment you see the animation. And enough practice so you're well in tune with the game.

And Dante reads your input like fighting game bosses regardless of difficulty. It took me only one restart on DH to realise if I just keep shooting at him it locks him pretty much in place and you can easily use Nero's arm (among other things) to deal easy damage. Just add tiny bit of patience in general.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Truth be told the day I came home to that part of the game it was after a work trip, consisting of a 14 hour auction, 4 hours of sleep, 8 hours of plane travel and an emergency 4 hour nap.

So patience was something I was thin on that day. I've been ok with the SoS difficulty...mostly....up to that point. Credo sucked but I got through that one with a wiki. (And I've seen how much worse it gets on later difficulties.) The wiki on Dante wasn't very helpful. I found a couple weak points to exploit, but SoS Dante seemed to breakout of a lot of them. (Like back flipping out of Air Buster before he was even in range to be grabbed, then immediately forward flipping into a forward plunge attack.) If the goal is to beat them at their "True" difficulty, you gotta restart the whole mission once the game downgrades the difficulty on the fight. It's basically like Dark Souls 1, at that point. Tons of required learning, required re-treading of the level to get there.

I guess I'm just dreading most fights from here on out. I remember the last boss fight very well, but as others come up in the story I'm like "oooohhhhhh yyyeeaaaah.....****."

Still, I'm really impressed with how DMC4 delivers in long-term replayability. This is my 3rd playthrough now, I've got most stuff unlocked for Nero/Dante, about 90% of the collectibles gathered, Bloody Palace unlocked...basically the point where only the actual gameplay and mastery would sustain my interest. But each new difficulty adds a twist to both the bosses and level encounters, along with more damage, and suddenly I'm having to use consumables to win fights for the first time in the game pretty much. And so now Red Orbs are important again because healing items cost an arm and a leg to buy. Which makes getting a good Devil Hunter Score on each level more important, both for the Red Orbs and so you don't use an item which hurts you, which pushes you to improve your game....

I mean, the game kinda has come full-circle with the higher difficulty play, and it's pretty rare that games with NG+ achieve that in a satisfying way.

I know I'm like, a long time late to the bus saying this but, DMC4 is rad. Frustrating, maddening bull**** that it can be, but rad.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
The pistol trick still works even up to DMD difficulty IIRC, though it needs tighter execution.

Legendary Dark Knight is worth a shot as well if you have the PC version; it's SoS but every non-boss encounter turns into massive brawls up to 1on30 and more enemies keep spawning as you mow them down. Since you get so many style points and orbs that way easily, using items or even restarting can net SSS rank overall but at the same time, towards end of the game every encounter turns essentially into endurance rounds on par with bloody palace so it balances that out a bit. :p

Upvote 0