• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

[Game] CryEngine On Steam

SuperTaz

Grizzled Veteran
Jun 19, 2011
Easton, PA
www.pbbans.com
http://store.steampowered.com/app/220980/

This is the subscription based CryEngine that will unlock all features!

CRYENGINE is the first all-in-one development solution with truly scalable computation, multi-award winning graphics, state-of-the-art lighting, realistic physics, intuitive visual scripting, high fidelity audio, designer friendly AI, an efficient 3D stereoscopic solution across all platforms and much, more - straight out of the box.

For support and full source you also need to pick up your check book (and hope its full of money from what I can tell). Personally I'd say UE 4 is the better pick atm for an individual or small team with limited funds.

What else would you need to buy from Cryengine 3? The lower price and no royalty fee does seem good. Do you need to pay for various plugins and whatnot that UE4 comes with by default?

Upvote 0
What else would you need to buy from Cryengine 3? The lower price and no royalty fee does seem good. Do you need to pay for various plugins and whatnot that UE4 comes with by default?

From what I gather this version does not come with the full engine source. UE 4 does come with the full engine source out of the box. So you can make any changes you want to it (some things are better off in source as well over script to keep it optimized).

And Unreal comes with a strong support community (of course you have to pay more to get full Epic support), from what I can tell the Crytek community is not as vast so it will be limited in that regard (once again you can pull out your checkbook and pay for official support). And it looks like alot of the middleware that is part of the "default" package, you still need to license (pay for).

Upvote 0
Yeah, UE4 definitely seems like a better deal, imo. Plus, the documentation seems great so far and they have tons of tutorials on their official youtube page. I would buy my own UE4 subscription if I had a capable enough PC, but that's not an option at the moment, unfortunately. I would really love to get into my own indie game development in the future, and UE4 just seems like the better option overall.

Upvote 0
https://www.cryengine.com/get-cryengine

Our Groundbreaking Technology. Your Price.

CRYENGINE is now available as a Pay what you want service, allowing users to set their own price for it. If you like the service we provide, we suggest contributing to its ongoing development. You can also choose contribute up to 70% of any payments to our new Indie Development Fund, which we will use to support promising indie games built with CRYENGINE.

CRYENGINE What's Included?

• The latest version of CRYENGINE with all its features
  • Full Engine Source Code
  • Full commercialization for any games created
  • 100% royalty-free
  • Access to all supported platforms
  • Primed for VR development
  • Buy and sell assets on the Marketplace
  • Access to Learning resources

Upvote 0