• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

KF Black Screen On Startup Freezes Everything

Msgtfox

Aug 18, 2013
So recently there's an issue that has been preventing me from playing Killing Floor.

When going into Fullscreen, or when the game starts up in fullscreen, all there is it total blackness and the computer freezes.
I can't use the start button, sleep mode, or anything else.
I have to manually shut off my computer using the power button.

The Rendering mode has been switched to every option, AA was turned off and on, the game was reinstalled, and the ini, and system folders were deleted and re-downloaded.

Is there a fix for this issue?

I get that a lot during the game, but never on startup. Black screen, a sound loop, and PC doesn't respond at all, all I can do is power button reset. Sometimes more than 3 times a day. Whocrashed says it is a video TDR error. KF is the only game I get these errors in. I have a Nvidia GTX560 card. Tried changing video options, verifying cache, installing other drivers and so on. Nothing helps.

Upvote 0
vealck said:
I get that a lot during the game, but never on startup. Black screen, a sound loop, and PC doesn't respond at all, all I can do is power button reset. Sometimes more than 3 times a day.

The thread is a couple of months old, I know.. but I get this same exact thing. You never know when it's going to hit either which is what makes it so f'ing frustrating. Sometimes it happens before I can even pick a perk at map start, sometimes it waits until I'm deep into wave 8, sometimes I can play all day and it never happens. Seems totally random. Doesn't matter if I'm playing solo or online. Drives me crazy. When I jump on a server I have to warn everyone that I might just fall off the server at the most inopportune time.

I always thought it was because my PC is quite old, so I just chalked it up to that, but it always seemed weird because I can play RO and DH, and I can play some much newer games and I never get anything like this. Seeing that it happens to you on your much more powerful and modern machine (compared to mine) is what spurred me to make a post here.

The game will freeze, totally unresponsive, you can hear the sounds of the game, I can't recover the machine, then the screen will go black and the sound becomes looping screeching static. I have to hard reboot with the reset button.

Upvote 0
This hapened to me today as well and sadly enough only once, but it broke my game for good. What i mean is after that when i tried to play in game i cant at all i cant do ANYTHING by that i mean ANY ACTION that there can be done in KF i just sit there and watch. I deleted the game, installed it again, verified integrity of game cache and still the same thing can't do anything, but to watch.

Upvote 0
Yeah, I added those addresses to the host file using notepad exactly how Yosh posted them (copy pasted them).. but it didn't have any effect. I still get the same problem.

Yosh, you got any other addresses we can try adding to that file? Any ideas what's going on? Thanks for any help. It keeps me from even loading up the game knowing any minute it's gonna freeze and I'm going to have to hard reset my box. If I may speak for any others experiencing this, we'd like to be ready for your holiday event.

Upvote 0
So is KF being supported anymore as far as technical support problems go? You can go back many, many months and see only a few threads that have an actual Tripwire representative posting in them. Should we assume if we're having game breaking problems that we're on our own here? If you need something more from me on this particular issue in this thread let me know... but it'd be nice to at least see some kind of effort in helping us, any of us, solve our probs with KF. Hello, anybody home?

Upvote 0
Okay, this is getting ridiculous. This has happened to me 4 times today and I haven't even been playing for an hour. Why some days I can play all day without it happening and other days I can't even get past wave 4 without having to hard boot my PC over and over again is beyond me, but it's HIGHLY frustrating. Not only for me but for the other guys in the server. I've met at least 6 other people this happens to on a regular basis; people with much more powerful rigs than mine. It is definitely something with the game itself, because this sort of thing doesn't happen with other more resource intensive games.

Can we have some attention on this problem Tripwire? PLEASE. The game will freeze, you can hear the sounds of the game for a few seconds while frozen, you can't recover the machine, then all of a sudden the screen will go black and whatever sound was playing will be looping and sounding like digitized static. You then have to hard reset your computer just to get it back. This happens only with Killing Floor. It doesn't seem to matter which server you are on, or even if you're playing solo, it just randomly happens. Can you turn off whatever background stuff that is causing this to happen? Is there some address I need to add to that host file? SOMETHING PLEASE. It is driving us absolutely crazy!

Upvote 0
This has happened to me 4 times today and I haven't even been playing for an hour. Why some days I can play all day without it happening and other days I can't even get past wave 4 without having to hard boot my PC over and over again is beyond me, but it's HIGHLY frustrating.

2 crashes today. I usually think to myself 'F* you, KF' and give up after second one.

It is definitely something with the game itself, because this sort of thing doesn't happen with other more resource intensive games.

I've done extensive research and testing of my PC, this includes 8-hours long stress tests with both GPU and CPU 100% stressing software at the same time, playing Skyrim, Crysis 2, Painkiller HD, Battlefield 3 and other power-hungry games and I'm 100% sure that is KF specific issue, had literally zero crashes elsewhere. Tried changing a lot of options in my NV control panel, reinstalling KF, editing registry keys, making KF large memory address aware etc. To no avail. The only thing that ever worked was blocking the ad servers via hosts file. And it stopped working after the last update.

Please do address this issue somehow, as soon as possible, TWI.

Upvote 0
Happened to me twice again tonight around 6pm pacific time on the cookies and cupcakes hoe server.

I'm convinced this has something to do with that massive ad server or whatever it's called. It's almost like the client and some server aren't syncing correctly. It even did the same freeze and then black screen on the damned main menu; hadn't even clicked multiplayer yet. Tripwire, would you please consider not running the fancy commercials on the perk selection screen and getting rid of whatever this other server is that's causing this problem? Would you please consider running just static advertisements that won't crash our machines? Or.. find some way to fix this please.

Upvote 0
If you're talking about the ads in the game lobby.
Go to your killingfloor\movies dir, delete the existing files, and create a new .txt file.
Name it Movie1.bik (changing the extension is important), copy and paste the file 5 times and name them incrementally from Movie1 to Movie6.
You should be left with 6 empty, 0kb .bik files.

This might help you? :confused:

Upvote 0
That didn't help, but thanks for trying.

I haven't been able to finish an entire map in two days. 2 days! It freezes up before I can go through all 11 waves, even on solo.

Tripwire, is there anything that I can send you that will help you fix this problem? Do you know what is causing this but are unwilling to fix it? I really need some help. Your new event is live but I can't even finish a game on 'normal' without it freezing and going black screen, requiring a hard reset. Please help.

I've reinstalled KF, newest drivers (for my old *** card), RAM has been tested, defragged, I tried running the game with low sound quality, I run the game on lowest settings, not a speck of dust in my case, tested for overheating etc etc. I don't think it is my machine because I used to play KF in 2009/2010 with a way worse machine and never had anything like this happen, not even once.. also, vealck is getting the same thing with a much better machine. Some guys I've talked to online have much better computers than me and they suffer from this too.

Can we please get some help?

Upvote 0
Possible Fix

Possible Fix

I know this is an old thread but I'm going to write a response anyhow, it might help someone else who is having this problem and came across this thread. I figured I may as well post what I believe was the fix for me because this was the first thing I came across when googling the problem.

I'm not too sure if this is what fixed it but it seems to be, when I was having these problems I was using a custom skin for Steam, I would start Killing Floor but it wouldn't even get to any part of the game, it just went fullscreen and went full black and everything was frozen and I had to forcefully restart the entire computer. That happened a few times and I tried a few different ways to fix it. I verified the integrity of the game cache, scanned my computer for problems, updated drivers, tried closing everything and then only having Steam and KF open, I tried many things and nothing worked. I then decided to try going back to the default skin for Steam since I remembered thinking that might be the problem since it was only after using that skin that I had those problems. So I reverted back to the default, and then suddenly KF opens, no problems.

Upvote 0