• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

General Protection Fault: Please Help

Roarjr

Apr 12, 2012
Situation:
I create a listen server to play co-op play with my friends. Killing Floor will "crash," bringing me back to my desktop, and showing me a general protection fault copy and pasted below. Killing Floor remains an ongoing process that must be force ended through the task manager.

History:
I have been playing Killing Floor since Feb 18, 2012, and this General Protection Fault crash has been evident since then, occurring a couple of times a week. However, This error is now showing several times a day all within a period less than 2 hours. This issue is very frustrating to say the least (for myself and my friends in the server).

Troubleshooting:
I have uninstalled Killing Floor twice. 1) Uninstalled the game through steam, 2) Uninstalled the game and deleted the steam>steamapps>common>killingfloor folder. Since then, I have gone into the killingfloor.ini folder and changed a few lines which were recommended in another thread that I found addressing this issue.

Error Message:
Build UT2004_Build_[2004-11-11_10.48]

CPU: GenuineIntel PentiumPro-class processor @ 1729 MHz with 4095MB RAM
Video: NVIDIA GeForce GT 435M (8562)

General protection fault!

History: SkeletalMeshGet <- USpriteEmitter::UpdateParticles <- AEmitter::Tick <- TickAllActors <- ULevel::Tick <- (NetMode=2) <- TickLevel <- UGameEngine::Tick <- Level KF-MountainPass_Day <- UpdateWorld <- MainLoop <- FMallocWindows::Free <- FMallocWindows::Realloc <- 4C576C61 0 FArray <- FArray::Realloc <- 0*2 <- FMallocWindows::Free

I hope that my response can be emailed as I could not find a way to privately submit my problem.

You know, I just reinstalled Windows 7 OS and am getting this problem now too. I noticed Steam updated itself and UT2K4 has the same FMALLOC:WINDOWS error.... Will try some non-UT engine games and see what is going on.

Edit - updated DirectX on top of the fresh OS install and all is well.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
@Flux
I had already tried that solution before coming to the forums, it did not work. In fact, after attempting that solution my server now fails at wave 5 or before.

@ro_sauce
I am hoping for technical support from Tripwire because they developed this game. As the community is only able to shotgun solutions at me - and because my search and actions for a solution has resulted in failure - it seemed logical that I might want to ask the developers themselves.

If this such an unreasonable request, they can tell me that too.

Upvote 0
lol, twi is going to ask the same question and give the same suggestions as we are, because it's really hard to figure out exactly what is going on sometimes, because it's might be a directx conflict (talk to microsoft) or a steam thing (this happened once before when they screwed up on a update) or your video drivers (causes lots of problems) or your system settings (pagefile etc.) or you computer's hardware (bad ram, etc.)

Upvote 0
As my hard drive is currently at 156GB/500GB occupied, I do not believe this is the case...

Looks like you have 4Gb of RAM. Check the size of your virtual memory page file as Valken suggested. Even if "automatically manage paging file for all drives" is checked, Windows may still be dropping the ball now and then.

I'd recommend the Custom Size option, and set the Initial Size and Maximum Size to the same value. In your case, at least 5120Mb. (5Gb.) Actually, I'd rather see that at 6144Mb. (6Gb.) You appear to have the disk space available, so you might want to give it a try.

Upvote 0
GAH FRIGGIN F F F F!!!
I get this error like everytime I play some story mode lately. It happens mostly in certain areas though. It NEVER happened before, just today. I also scanned with Hijackfree and sent reports to my uncle (he is expert) and he said it's clean, so no viruses, nothing. I was thinking for a while maybe it's PC itself, but nah, it worked before without problem on the very same PC. What the hell is happening :confused:
Also, it doesn't happen always, just randomly, like let's say one time it happened on one spot, other time didn't, but third time happened again at the exact same spot!

Upvote 0
Im getting the same thing, only started today and had it 3 times now.

Build UT2004_Build_[2004-11-11_10.48]

CPU: GenuineIntel PentiumPro-class processor @ 3000 MHz with 4095MB RAM
Video: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 275 (9573)

General protection fault!

History: SkeletalMeshGet <- USpriteEmitter::UpdateParticles <- AEmitter::Tick <- TickAllActors <- ULevel::Tick <- (NetMode=2) <- TickLevel <- UGameEngine::Tick <- Level KF-FilthsCross <- UpdateWorld <- MainLoop <- FMallocWindows::Free <- FMallocWindows::Realloc <- 4C576C61 0 FArray <- FArray::Realloc <- 0*2 <- FMallocWindows::Free

I have plenty hdd space (1.5tb free) and i have 8gb ram and 12gb pagefile so im not sure why the crash report says i only have 4gb. Im also using Win7 x64, again dunno why it says im using NT...

Upvote 0
because KF is a 32bit program.

general protection faults arent all the same, you have to look at the error history to see what is wrong, though it is a bit cryptic.

looks like a mesh emitter is screwing up.
I think those general protection fault errors are all common together now... I mean, at least 10 of my friends complained they get it quite often lately and never got it before. I think it's cause of story mode maps, but on the other hand 2 of my friends had it on Biotics Lab...

Upvote 0