• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

KillingFloor.exe has stopped working - Crash on startup

Km3ss

May 19, 2009
Just recently, my Killingfloor crashes the majority time on startup. But sometimes it works, but other times it doesn't.

What happens is that I open steam-> run Killing floor-> Killing Floor splash screen pops up-> waits-> then a white screen pops up and the Windows "KillingFloor.exe has stopped working" message pops up.

I've tried so many things to fix it but the problem is still present and sometimes I go with 30 unsuccessful runs of the game until it finally starts working.

Any help at all will be greatly appreciated as I really do want this problem fixed for not just me but for others as well.

Thanks.

My specs:
Windows 7 Ultimate 64bit
Intel Core2Quad 2.40Ghz Q6600
8800GT video card
4 Gb RAM DDR2

Problem signature:
Problem Event Name: APPCRASH
Application Name: KillingFloor.exe
Application Version: 0.0.0.0
Application Timestamp: 4d07940f
Fault Module Name: ntdll.dll
Fault Module Version: 6.1.7600.16559
Fault Module Timestamp: 4ba9b29c
Exception Code: c0000005
Exception Offset: 00058a2e
OS Version: 6.1.7600.2.0.0.256.1
Locale ID: 1033
Additional Information 1: e8ad
Additional Information 2: e8adce1c2b9e7be834b4063ac3c53863
Additional Information 3: e8ad
Additional Information 4: e8adce1c2b9e7be834b4063ac3c53863

---------Update 1/4/2011--------
These are more things that I have tried that failed to fix the issue:

Changed resolution from 2 screens to 1 screen
Verify game cache
Run this program in compatibility mode for:
-Windows XP SP3
-Windows XP SP2
-Windows Vista
-Windows Vista SP1
-Windows Vista SP2

But I did try running KillingFloor.exe outside of steam and it managed to run successfully. There are no command line switches in steam settings.... :-/

Managed to finally get KillingFloor.exe to start on the 16th try. So the dedicated server was up and it took me another 14 tries to get the game up. So I'm happy for tonight, but I'm sure if I exit the game, the problem will still be there.

I'll update as I get more information. But still, any information or help would be greatly appreciated.

Last edited:
I managed to verify that all my drivers were updated (they were).

Turns out that the game didn't like Direct 3d 9.0 on my system somehow. The game would start at a 5%... 1 out of 20 runs, the game would start up successfully. The other tries, would result in a crash.

So I changed my settings to Direct3D (no 9.0) and the game manages to start at a 100% rate. Everytime I ran the game, it would start w/o crashing. Idk if it was my resolution, or my gfx card that caused the problem. But the game works, so I'm 90% satisfied now.

Just an FYI for those who have the same issue.

Upvote 0