• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

The French version of KF is terrible, and I want to change that.

Infuscomus

Nov 2, 2010
I don't know how the game was translated and who did that but it's absolutely terrible.

I am here to make a proposal : I can correct all errors for free, just tell me what I am supposed to do, or who I am supposed to contact please.

Some examples :

Crawlers. "To crawl" means "ramper" in french. So, Crawlers should be called something like "Rampants" or "L

Sounds like they just had someone use an English->French dictionary to do the translation rather than getting someone experienced with the language.

Take a look at the 'int' files in the System folder. These are the 'localization' files that contain all in-game text in the relevant language. You should be able to modify these files and play online without issue since you're just altering text.

I've attached the English version of the int files if you want to take a shot at translating them. I'm sure TWI could include them in the next patch if it's not too much trouble.

[edit] Actually, the French version of an INT file is FRT.

Attachments

• KFINT 1.zip
    91.8 KB · Views: 0
  • KFINT 2.zip
    44 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Upvote 0
Sounds nice.

I can translate the english .int files, but I'd like to have an answer from officials about that because I don't really want to spend hours on something useless actually.

If I do the translation, will it be implemented ?

I can do the translation, then perhaps someone can look at what I did to see if I didn't put any crap in it...and that should be okay.

So tripwire, as a French Killing Floor player that likes the game, I ask for your permission to improve the French Version of your game.

Upvote 0
Pm the forum user [TW]Wilsonam and ask him.
No, don't - I've already seen the thread! Just switching Steam to French to try it out...

EDIT: Ok, I see what you mean - most of the translation seems fine. Some dodgy ones lurking, though. Rather than create a complete new pack, just post a list of suggested corrections. But I can't see anyone doing a whole new voice pack!

Upvote 0
Sound isn't really the problem. I think someone that discovers the game in French for the first time will be used to French voices.

In my opinion, most people found French voices terrible because they were in the habit of hearing the english sentences (which are cool by the way).

I'm gonna try to do a list of mistakes I find when I have some spare time.

Upvote 0
um...expect something huge !

There are mistakes everywhere, I'll do a precise list. I'll have to remake all the characters / map stories translations because they are full of nonsense. Sometimes it's really funny, but really...it's not worth of the quality of the game. I hope I won't do it for nothing.

I have a couple of questions that will help me to find proper translations for some things :

Enemies :

Husk = why did you chose that name and what it is supposed to evoke ? I found a translation...but really it doesn't help to find a proper name in French ^^.

Scrake = Is that a slang word to mean crazy ? If no, explain the meaning briefly please.

Crawlers = Did you choose the name only because they literally crawl, or is there another meaning -> I've seen crawler translated as "l

Upvote 0
I was going to post a new thread, but since there's already one, might as well post there.
We're currently (we = 4 people) working on a better french localization patch for KF 1, so we would like to know if Tripwire would be interested to implement the patch officially once it's done.
Also, is there a possibility to change the localization for the achievements? Because I can't see anything in the game files, so I guess it's on Valve's server.

Upvote 0