• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Fix for BT HomeHub / Thomson / BeBox etc routers disconnecting - walking into walls

Yeah but why exactly do some routers tend to disconnect when getting the masterserver list? Just curiousity, it says because of a hidden configuration that shuts it down "60" seconds after getting the list.

Simply put, it's because for some reason Thomson decided to put this specific rule into the router, and it is faulty - either the router handles it badly and causes any connections initially made during this rule to time out after the 1 minute that is specified, hence people disconnecting after joining the server, or it handles it really badly and locks up / resets. There's no reason for it to be there, and even worse, it is a hidden rule which doesn't show up in the web config, so you can't get rid of it without being able to telnet into the router's config.

Upvote 0
Glad it's working for you Yin, I was aiming my reply at Labyrinth's comment. The router's actually at fault here, so don't praise it too much ;)

Its working fine now, not sure what went wrong but after factory reseting the router and deleting everything apart from steam.exe and steamapps (then replacing the masterservers file) seems to have fixed it

Ironicly thomson wont do nothing about the rule nor will the ISP, shame you cant actually email/contact the actual engineers directly about this, but i think BE broadband might be changing at some point to a different brand

Upvote 0
I've not got a masterservers2 file so I can't really comment on that - you can try closing Steam and deleting the file (and making sure that the masterservers.vdf file is still the one that you copied from here) and see what happens. If the file comes back then potentially because Valve seem to have changed some of their master servers around they might need to update this fix.

Upvote 0
I guess that the Steam update is incompatible with the servers in this file now then, and so is creating a masterservers2 file because it is unable to delete or modify the read-only file. I'll have a quick look at it this evening, and if I can't suggest a fix then I suggest you email Valve and tell them that this fix no longer works, and that you need an updated file.

Upvote 0
Success! Recently switched to O2 and have been having problems with RO/KF (not connecting at all, very slow connections and near impossible to join a server with custom content) and TF2 (router disconnecting) and then remembered about this thread and the telnet method seemed to work.

A few things to add, on win7 (maybe vista) you may have to enable telnet client control panel>programs and features>turn windows features on or off, then just check the telnet client tick box. And for O2 routers I had to log in with the superuser settings

Admin : SuperUser
Password : O2Br0ad64nd
(note capital letter O & B and digit number 0 (zero))

Thanks Morello & TWI people

Upvote 0
So just to clarify...the fix doesn't work at the moment? so anyone with BT router experiencing the disconnects (i.e. me) cant actually play KF except for very rare cases (Ive had about 3 games)

If thats all correct I really hope a fix comes soon as I really want to love this game. But having just bought it and there being no clear indicator that they would be problems for my service provider letting me connect online I feel kind of cheated out of my money. Im not blaming Tripwire...I would just really like actually be able to play a game I payed for like all the others Ive bought D:

Upvote 0