• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Killing Floor with XBOX350 Controller

It should work. Below is the approach I took for my original xbox controller (with USB adapter). I heard people have problems with how the axis are assigned on the 360, but it should be doable. If you run into problems following this guide just ask again with the specifics and we can sort it out. It should definitely be possible.

jesters puppet said:
hi murphy i remember you saying you helped a RO player setup his controller to work with the game, i was wondering would you be able to tell me how to set up my xbox 360 controller to work for killing floor and RO please.

kind regards Noggin
I wanted to link you to the original thread where I had a page-long explanation, but I can't find it. So here is the short version:

I don't know what axis you have on your 360 controller as I only did this with my old xbox controller and even the axis of that device I forgot already. So you'll have to fiddle around with it a bit.

Open Steam/steamapps/common/killingfloor/system/User.ini and scroll down to this section:
Code:
Joy1=Fire
Joy2=Jump
Joy3=AltFire
Joy4=
Joy5=NextWeapon
Joy6=SwitchWeapon 2
Joy7=SwitchWeapon 3
Joy8=SwitchWeapon 4
Joy9=SwitchWeapon 9
Joy10=SwitchWeapon 0
Joy11=InventoryPrevious
Joy12=InventoryActivate
Joy13=MoveForward
Joy14=StrafeRight
Joy15=MoveBackward
Joy16=StrafeLeft
JoyX=Axis aStrafe SpeedBase=300.0 DeadZone=0.1
JoyY=Axis aBaseY SpeedBase=300.0 DeadZone=0.1 Invert=-1
JoyZ=
JoyR=
JoyU=
JoyV=Axis aBaseX SpeedBase=2.0 DeadZone=0.4
JoySlider1=Axis aLookUp SpeedBase=2.0 DeadZone=0.4
JoySlider2=
Find out which button is which (I assume the 360 controller came with a software in which you can do that!?). E.g. the button #1 might be the green 'A'. If you want 'Jump' there, like in Halo, you edit the line:
Code:
Joy1=Something
to read:
Code:
Joy1=Jump
The commands like Jump, Fire, etc. are all pretty selfexplanatory and you just have to go through the list and find them for their exact wording.

Assign all the functions to your controller buttons now.

It may be possible to do that ingame too! Click on the function (e.g. Jump) and instead of pressing a key on the keyboard, press a button on the joystick. Might work, might not. It would certainly be more convenient that way.

Once this is done you need to set up the axis so you can use your sticks to move and look around.
This is almost exactly like setting up the buttons through the .ini:

The functions for looking are called
Code:
Axis aBaseX SpeedBase=2.0 DeadZone=0.4
for looking left and right and
Code:
Axis aLookUp SpeedBase=2.0
for looking up and down.

If you feel your look sensivity is wrong, alter it by changing the SpeedBase value. A higher value means more sensitivity, a lower value means less. If you want to invert a direction (e.g. you want to invert looking up and down) you can either use a negative SpeedBase value or you can add "Invert=1" at the end of the line.

The functions for moving are called
Code:
Axis aBaseY SpeedBase=300.0 DeadZone=0.1
for moving forward and backward and
Code:
Axis aStrafe SpeedBase=300.0 DeadZone=0.1
for strafing left and right.

The axis of your controller correspond to one the Joy'Letter' lines. I don't know which is which, so you'll have to experiment a bit.

You can also use a program called ControlMK. With it you can assign keyboard and mouse input to gamepad input. E.g. you can make your xbox A button produce the keyboard "space" command.

With that you can make your gamepad emulate a keyboard and mouse, so to speak, and you can use the gamepad in ANY game here you use this key config for your mouse and keyboard.
E.g. if you always jump with space and always fire with leftclick you can set your A button to Space and your R trigger to leftclick.

If you get stuck with the .ini tinkering you can try that. It's a free program so you lose nothing but time.:)

Good luck!

Reactions: aesdana
Upvote 0