• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Ports used by Killing Floor

Yoshiro

Senior Community Manager
Staff member
  • Oct 10, 2005
    East Coast
    The following is a list of ports used by Killing Floor. Make sure they are open in your router/firewall. (You will need these to host a listen server)

7707 UDP/IP (Game Port)
    7708 UDP/IP (Query Port)
    7717 UDP/IP (GameSpy Query Port)
    28852 TCP/IP and UDP (Allows your Server to Connect to the Master Server Browser)
    8075 TCP/IP (Port set via ListenPort that your WebAdmin will run on)
    20560 UDP/IP (Steam Port)

Another setting you might have to deal with when hosting a listen server in your killingfloor.ini is:

ServerBehindNAT=False Set it to True

Handy internet tools I've been pointed too (thanks Sarkie) to test if your ports are open - GRC Shields Up https://www.grc.com/x/ne.dll?bh0bkyd2

Useful website for people who do not know how to open ports on their router/firewall

http://portforward.com/

Also to find out your routers IP

In XP : Go to start -> Run -> type in "cmd" -> type in "ipconfig" in the prompt that comes up -> Look for your internet adapter usually either 'Wireless LAN' adapter or 'Ethernet Adapter' and it's IPv4 Address is the IP you want.
    For Vista : Press start/windows button -> type in cmd in search and press enter-> type "ipconfig" in the prompt that comes up ->Look for your internet adapter usually either 'Wireless LAN' apapter or 'Ethernet Adapter' and it's IPv4 Address is the IP you want.

Half borrwed this info from korncob on the steam forums as he asked if someone could post something here about it.

Last edited:
    Upvote 0
    Can't play multiplayer

Can't play multiplayer

I have disabled firewalls on my PC and on my BT Home Hub (modem-router); I have also edited the setting "ServerBehindNAT=True" in KillingFloor.ini file and followed other recommendations too. The result is still the same - I still can't play multiplayer.

I can see the servers, I can even connect to some of them, but either from very beginning or a minute later the game freezes.

Solo mode works flawlessly on max settings; OS: Windows Vista Business

(I can't write a review as the multiplayer is unplayable)

Upvote 0
    The worst thing is Yosh - the Steam integration. Joining through friends is ridiculously picky. I have my IP in the DMZ so theres no doubt that nothing is blocking it, but only one guy can join my server through Steam then everyone can join through him. Seriously need to look into that.

My friends are trying to host but completely unsuccessfully, they've opened the ports but we just cant see the server and obviously cant join through Steam. Also for him its apparently hosting on LAN - or at least its visible to his brother in the LAN area.

Upvote 0
    The worst thing is Yosh - the Steam integration. Joining through friends is ridiculously picky. I have my IP in the DMZ so theres no doubt that nothing is blocking it, but only one guy can join my server through Steam then everyone can join through him. Seriously need to look into that.

My friends are trying to host but completely unsuccessfully, they've opened the ports but we just cant see the server and obviously cant join through Steam. Also for him its apparently hosting on LAN - or at least its visible to his brother in the LAN area.

if it's showing up in the lan, then most likely the ports are not opened. i had that problem with synergy. i would see the game in the lan tab but not in the internet tab. i had to get a static ip and then open 27015 (something like that - it's the port synergy requires) and that stopped it. i think maybe your friend port forwarded, but maybe does not have a static ip so it's not working. there's a website that lets you check if you have those ports open... https://www.grc.com/x/ne.dll?bh0bkyd2

just scroll down click proceed all the way at the bottom, type in all the ports kf requires and click user specified custom port probe. if it's closed or stealth, then obviously the ports aren't opened. see if the ports are indeed opened before doing anything else or looking for further help.

Upvote 0
    I have gotten all ports opened and got DMZ on and my friends and other people are still unable to join my server, I've tried just about anything and nothing just works. Although with that website to check ports it says closed and it doesnt recognize em but when I look at my ports with PFPortChecker it says all of those ports are open so I don't really see what the problem is anymore to be honest.

Thanks,

Dave.

Last edited:
    Upvote 0
    It seems that I can add another game to the rather long list of games released in the last few years that don't work without me spending a significant amount of time on trying to make them work.

I've opened the ports, but the game doesn't connect properly as the connection times out (I guess, as there's no longer a connection with the server) after a few moments or a small amount of time. The in-game clock is still running, but the specimen and players keep moving in the direction they were moving in when the connection failed.

I don't believe that my PC or my firewall (Zone Alarm) is so special that they are the main reason for the connectivity issues, but I'm accepting any likely theory at this point.

For now, it seems I've more or less thrown my money away as the game, although it is probably very good, can't seem to run properly even with the ports open. I also tried editing the .ini with the suggestion above, but that didn't do it either.

Upvote 0
    I own a bthomehub (theblackone) I've opened all necessary ports and unchecked dynamic net speed and wrote TRUE in the command file about nat types but this game still doesn't work, people can't find/join my server. Also when I join other peoples server it works for 2 seconds then everyone just slides up against the wall running endlessly. What a pain in the *** and in my wallet.

Upvote 0
    I am also having the same problem. I have a BT Home Hub 2 (black one) and I have opened all the required ports however everytime I connect it runs fine for about 5 seconds then all monsters and players run into walls and the clock or wave count stops. I have found that if I disconnect and reconnect to the same server straight away it will be fine, but I have to do this everytime, and its such a pain, esspecially when there is no easy way to reconnect to the same server.

Upvote 0
    So this is whan i can only play 30 seconds b4 i get a connection error...

I dont know what to do with those ports, could any 1 help me?
    I know it has to do with my BT home hub though

[url]http://i132.photobucket.com/albums/q24/ryan-07-/Untitled-6.jpg[/URL]

I know this is the place were i need 2 put those ports. can any1 help me out and tell em exactly which 1s go were lol thanks

Upvote 0