• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

8800GT drops average frames from 90 to 1

Holiday

Grizzled Veteran
Dec 17, 2010
My GTX 570 died on me recently and I'm using my old 8800GT for the time being, I remember it running the game perfectly maxed out back in the day on lower resolutions similar what I've set in-game now (1366*768).

I average 80-90 FPS in-game but every 2 minutes or so it plummets to 1-10 FPS thrashing my movement with horrendous lag for roughly 10-20 seconds, obviously making the game unplayable!

I was wondering if someone else had the same issue and found a work around?

• I'm running Windows 7 64-Bit with all the updates. My other important drivers & BIOS are all up to date.

• I did a clean install of the last 340.52 driver for my card and deleted the killingfloor.ini to reset everything.

• This still happens at 1366*768 with graphics set to Medium and AA turned completely off.

• I'm still rockin' the 3.0Ghz Intel quad core processor I was when I first used my 8800GT and have 4GB of RAM meaning I'm way above the recommended specs needed to run it fine.

• It's not temperature related - my CPU stays at an average of 40 degrees while playing and my GPU averages 80 degrees, these temps are well within their manufacturers recommended thermal limits.

• I followed the 'Random Screen Pauses During Gameplay' sticky fix to no avail.
UPDATE: I've managed to remedy the issue for the most part by re-enabling the 'Reduce Mouse Lag' option. I still get hitches but they don't drop my performance to 1FPS and cause horrific unplayable stutters like before.

Last edited:
Thanks for the reply :cool:

I have zero background programs running in the background and nothing running at start-up except for Microsoft Security Essentials, which I know for sure can't be the culprit.

I'll give it a shot after another clean install of the both the GPU driver and KF itself. I'll post back if it fixes my issue, otherwise presume the background processes are not the cause.

Upvote 0
Well it looks like it's nothing on my end but compatibility with older cards that's been altered over the years with KF1 patches.

I know this as I don't get sudden drops to 1 frame in a hand full of other games as I've just tested. Even in Brothers in Arms: Road to Hill 30 which I still have installed and coincidentally also uses a modified Unreal Engine 2.0.

If any devs see this I would massively appreciate it if you could test the latest build of KF on similar older architecture (systems which are compatible with Nvidia's last Win 7 64-bit 340.52 legacy driver) if you still happen have any in the office :D

I still get the drops in single-player as well as online. I almost always get a big drop in frames the moment I enter the server and select my perk before I can spawn. I then get them every minute or so when I'm playing :(

Upvote 0
None taken, it's a temporary solution until I decide on which new GPU to buy for KF2!

The card is indeed more than powerful enough to run the game, you don't even have to be a smart hardware cookie like me to know or that I'm running the latest drivers for my specific card, it might not use box-fresh drivers but they are matured and fully support both the OS I'm using and KF which is the important thing ;)

I've managed to remedy the issue for the most part by re-enabling the 'Reduce Mouse Lag' option :D. I'm used to turning that off for added performance with no aim lag with my usual GPU set-up. I hope this helps anyone else with similar issues on older hardware which is more than adequate to run the game!

When I re-enable it, it seems to make my GPU work harder/nominally as the fans spin up to a speed I'm used to hearing when it's playing other games fine. This leads me to believe the 8800GT somewhat idles as it thinks it's not under proper game load when playing KF for some reason, thus causing it to constantly drop lots of frames a minute or so in a harsh way.

Upvote 0